Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    eyesman            12-15-2003, 12:20 PM Reply   
I have been a little skeptical about trying new spins and inverts after last summer when my left knee met my face and spit it open.

Don't think a typical helmet will do. Does anyone know of some headgear that protects your face, eardrums, teeth, etc. I would call it my "training helmet"
Rob T./Mark B. - would you still let me ride behind your boat in this:

or even better - this:

Just imagine the increase in confidence - like this on a backroll
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-15-2003, 12:29 PM Reply   
I remember your post. I just talked to Ian Kirk actually. Maybe just while you're learning front rolls...it would be okay.
Old    eyesman            12-15-2003, 12:33 PM Reply   
J-Rod,
Are you hooking something up for April at Shasta?
Funny thing is I tried about 5 scarecrows and 5 front flips at his school with no painful crashes at all. Then I bust a toe-side 3 at the end of my weekend and there was blood everywhere;)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-15-2003, 12:50 PM Reply   
A little later than April probably. I usually like to ride for a solid month or two before I go to camp. I'm usually a little rusty come April.
Looks like he's moving shop! He'll be on a private lake this year!!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-18-2003, 9:59 PM Reply   
i was actually wondering about a helment like this too - being an ice hockey player and a motorcycle rider i've worn full helmets for both (always wear a helment and full cage for hockey), and in looking online for helmets i saw this one from gath:

gath

apparently surfers are using it.

http://www.gathsports.com/retvis.html

(Message edited by deepstructure on December 18, 2003)
Old    eyesman            12-19-2003, 11:13 AM Reply   
chris,
maybe we will start a new trend - NOT.
i looked at one like that but my thought was to limit the surface area in front because if you fell on your face the water will hit the front so hard it will probably smash into your face. with a grid or some sort of opening it gives the water somewhere to go but the contour of the helmet breaks the surface tension instead of your face.
Old     (luv2w8k)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-19-2003, 11:24 AM Reply   
Looks to me like a safer bet would be a padded room
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-19-2003, 11:50 AM Reply   
Sweet! I want a helmet like that with a silver drysuit to match. Maybe with an antenna on top of the helmet.
Old     (luv2w8k)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-19-2003, 11:55 AM Reply   
Great idea with the full body armor. But what would be more entertaining is watching you try to ride after I paste magnets all over my boat!!
Old    eyesman            12-19-2003, 12:02 PM Reply   
Have you guys seen those sumo outfits that people wrestle in at partys. There is like 6 in of foam surronding everything. I would try any trick in the book with this thing on!!
Old     (luv2w8k)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-19-2003, 12:20 PM Reply   
After review the original post. There seems to be a striking resemblance between the model for the padded grate and the poster with 2 black eyes. Is this an advertisement plug?
Old     (tiger20)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-19-2003, 12:31 PM Reply   
Good luck trying trying to climb onto the swim deck wearing that water soaked sumo suit!
Old    eyesman            12-20-2003, 9:58 AM Reply   
you found me out Michele. i was on my way to make millions. J/K. btw, are you landing inverts? i saw your profile pic and was impressed
Old     (luv2w8k)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-22-2003, 8:04 AM Reply   
On good days I have my moments. NOt consistant though. I have landed backrolls, tantrums, backroll to reverts, and I have been very close to riding out toeside backrolls, and scarecrows. Spins I suck I have the rotation but forget the handle pass. My favorite thing to do is ride rail slides. But like I said its a crap shoot on what you get to witness when I ride. My friend Mike and Brandy took some pics of rail sliding at some local events in FL and Texas. I saw you guys are from Cali I used to live in Canyon Lake, CA myself.
Old     (luv2w8k)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-22-2003, 8:05 AM Reply   

Old     (luv2w8k)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-22-2003, 8:11 AM Reply   
Cant upload the other one.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-22-2003, 10:27 AM Reply   
hmmm note to self = Michele is the coolest girl I've ever seen. Would you please move back to California so I can ask you out on a date? Or at least to get schooled in wakeboarding.
Old     (luv2w8k)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-22-2003, 10:50 AM Reply   
Well, a date would be rather difficult since I live in Florida again. But Im always up for making new friends and my door is open to fellow wakeboarders...Just bought a house on East Lake in Tampa so look me up if you and your buddies ever need a place to crash. I checked out your profile. I used to live in Santa Barbara and have been to Haveseu and Nacimiento many times as well...
Old    eyesman            12-22-2003, 2:58 PM Reply   
Michele,

you should compete. i have never seen a female (outside of a sponsered tournament) land any sort of invert or even look at a slider. i can't help but agree with Stephen - well at least the part about you being the coolest girl ever and getting schooled in wakeboarding. the dating part wouldn't sit well with my wife

Old     (aquaholic)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-23-2003, 3:19 PM Reply   
Here's one from Lakupoloza. She did compete there and took first I think.

michele
Old    wakejunkeygirl            12-23-2003, 4:50 PM Reply   
Michele....we need to get the video up of you and the 'monster' slider. can't wait till this summer with my new snazzy christmas helmet, we'll be the slidin' sisters of East Lake!!!
Old    eyesman            12-23-2003, 5:03 PM Reply   
ah so now angi wants a piece of the action...
what kind of helmet is a snazzy christmas helmet?
do you have a pic?
Old    wakejunkeygirl            12-23-2003, 11:27 PM Reply   
'snazzy christmas helmet' = one that pro-tec's my head!!! I am not sure what kind I want, its between a couple differnt ones. guess we'll see what 'satan' brings me.....OOOOPS, I mean SANTA! (got some transposed letters there!!) :-)

'piece of the action, hell ya! Michele will be 'instructing me on the sliders this summer along with the rest of the 'crew' and Shaun Murray will have me at school for a week giving me the basics on how to do a backroll!

This summer is gonna be great!

I'll post what kinda helmet I get after I see what I get on Xmas morn.

Michele, I still got your 'dry pants'
Old     (luv2w8k)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-24-2003, 6:43 AM Reply   
Thanks all, for the support but I had to get a career in order to support my pricey lifestyle AKA wakeboarding. Unfortunately I couldnt survive on the payroll of a woman wakeboarder. If I would have stayed with it 4 years ago riding 4 times a week then maybe. So I'm stickin with the weekend warrior thing.

Anyway back to Helmet discussion....$8 Walmart Skateboard Helmet is the same sh!nit. Ill vow for it. I think the only thing that could surpass it would be something to protect your eyedrums and your arshole (for those unexpected colonoscapies)

Yeah I cant wait to see the videos seeing as how I cant upgrade my system at work to view them. That kicks ass that you guys got some video of the monster slider. That thing kicked my ass for 4 weeks literally broke my tailbone for the 3rd time. Yikes!!!

Ill get the magic pants back when I see ya. Im just not down with the 56 degree water so Im not too worried about it. Im still trying to land a 360 I can spin but somehow my brain gets disjuncted from my hands cause I always forget to pass the handle. Though the cold water does wonders for technique. All I kept thinking on Sunday was Dont Fall!

Dude Tony dock started off Nicks dock and Punk jumped in the water right in front of him and ran him over. That dog is crazy, he came back for more! Railey gets here in a week too so Im going to have to get him in the tube with Punk. We will have you doing backrolls by the end of the summer and dogs wakesurfing!

(Message edited by luv2w8k on December 24, 2003)

(Message edited by luv2w8k on December 24, 2003)
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-24-2003, 6:46 AM Reply   
take a good look at the gethighsports head stash. great helmet.
Old    eyesman            12-24-2003, 9:15 AM Reply   
angi - you wont need a week to do a back roll - I say 1 day max. if you set your mind to it. its all in your head. make sure you get it on film. looking forward to seeing it;)

michele - on the 3s, doing the first half of the spin (that includes the pass) with a handle on land helps a lot. the other thing would be to make sure you are passing it to your lower back each time - so that each time you go to grab it, it will be roughly in the same spot. needless to say the handle pass is much easier without gloves for those who insist on wearing them (like i did my first year of wakeboarding)

Happy Holidays!
Dave
Old    wakejunkeygirl            12-24-2003, 2:43 PM Reply   
True, I may not need the whole week to learn to do a backroll, but I'll be there for the whole week, so I'll just work on perfecting the stuff I already know and try to do as many flippity-doo-das as I can. I always give it my all while waking...and most certainly while I am under the supervision of Shaun.. Oh and trust me, everything we do is captured on film...always documented on
www.420EMPIRE.com from my first wake to wake at 3 months of riding to the 180 face plant at 4 months of riding!!! snowboarding, skateboarding, wakesurfing and of course my 'pro tour' balance board videos!!!

Have a good one.
Old    grizzle            12-24-2003, 9:23 PM Reply   
angi are we gonna have a backroll contest next ??
Old    wakejunkeygirl            12-25-2003, 7:15 AM Reply   
clay----YOU KNOW IT! better get on that trampoline that I KNOW you have set up in your living room!!! Grizz---go to camp with us!!!!
I will also be going to 'Camp East Lake' this summer..see list of coaches below:

coach EE
coach Novak
coach Simpson
coach Grizzle
coach Neighbor Nick
coach Drew
coach Drunk Nick
coach Meeeshell

so sweet. can't wait!
Old     (luv2w8k)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-29-2003, 5:24 AM Reply   
Angi-

When are you going to camp? Who are you going with? You will have a blast Im sure. Boarding for a week is a good time where ever you go.
Old    tfdhyprider            12-29-2003, 8:08 AM Reply   
I think you should just go w/ a pro-tec helmet. What that was a pretty harsh face blow you took and one that hard doesnt happen ALL the time and most likely wont happen to you again.