Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-21-2008, 4:44 PM Reply   
Nashville? Seriously?

What happened to trying to attract pros from outside the sport? I can see moving it to Florida and still getting some outside participation but not Nashville without tripling the purse.

(Message edited by caskimmer on May 21, 2008)
Old    mobster            05-21-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
Sounds like they threw a dart at a map for the location. Makes you wonder? If they have a pulse on Wake Surfing at all. Great progression since 2006 One contest does not make A World Championship, Looks Like Jeff from Inland Surfer will have to share the MC duties with Dolly Pardon . I'm dying to fly out there to document it
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-21-2008, 5:44 PM Reply   
I agree. I felt bad about posting this but strongly feel a dissenting opinion needs to be heard. This is couldn't be a bigger step in the wrong direction.
Old    surfdad            05-21-2008, 6:12 PM Reply   
Just for the record, neither I nor the AWSA has any involvement with the WWSC this year.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-21-2008, 7:00 PM Reply   
any chance of the AWSA adding a professional division? I really wanted to bring up 2 of Grabbag's pro skimboarders from Cabo this year but not if it's going to be in Nashville.

Old    surfdad            05-21-2008, 7:30 PM Reply   
I'm sure that can be arranged, and we will most likely bring an event to your neck 'o the woods :-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-21-2008, 7:32 PM Reply   
Jeff already ribbed me about the change of venue, says it’s my fault. Honestly I have no part in the decision. From my stand point the change of venue will let me participate. So this year I’ll be able to make it to the Texas Championship, Worlds, and the events that I’m organizing.

So what is the ideal location Wake Surfing Worlds? Must it always be California? If you wanted to grow the sport where would you hold the competition? If it truly were a world wide event then you couldn’t it move around like the Olympics?
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-21-2008, 7:47 PM Reply   
No it doesn't have to be California. Florida would have also worked. If you truly want to bring outside professionals then the contest NEEDS to be located in close proximity to where professional skimboarders and surfers live. and 95% of the world's surfers and skimboarders are located in either Florida or California. I can say with confidence that none of the top skimboarders with attend this event.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-21-2008, 8:00 PM Reply   
How deep is the water in Florida - Orlando - Cypress Gardens?
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-21-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
i heard rumor of a big trik, big air contest with like 8 grand up for grabs..june 21st on lake austin..then the same thing only more money for waketoberfest in oct,on lake travis in austin aswell.i'll keep diggn,find out for sure.keep ya posted.for the record ASC is for a triple crown or quad crown..florida,tenn,austintexas,cali..total points style.or whateva
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-21-2008, 8:03 PM Reply   
I'm just telling you the present venue is going to attract zero outside interest.
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-21-2008, 8:04 PM Reply   
I'm in the same boat as Show.. having worlds in my summer state makes it feasible for me to attend. I think a changing of venue year after year would be good so it could attract more attention from different parts of the country.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-21-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
sure it will be fine as far as the amateurs and current wakesurfers are concerned. But if wakesurfing is going to increase it's exposure then it needs to be more aggressive in it's pursuit of attracting outside professionals and this isn't going to do it.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-21-2008, 8:12 PM Reply   
by all means have contests in every possible location willing to throw an event but to have a "World's Championship" in a location where you aren't going to draw the top level of competitors is a huge step in the wrong direction.
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-21-2008, 8:25 PM Reply   
Tennessee has three of the major boat companies in it.. perhaps it is a focus on the boat industry instead of the pro surfers or skimmers ? I just hope that this years World's doesn't keep changing date/location like last year.

I was shocked myself that it is going to be in Nashville though.

(Message edited by wakesurf_ohio on May 21, 2008)
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-21-2008, 8:32 PM Reply   
I love the location of Nashville. Nashville is a great town and the venue looks like a very nice location. Tennessee arguably has the best boating lakes in the U.S. and many wakeboat manufacturers. There are a lot of wakesurfers on the Tennessee lakes. How many pro skimmers and surfers attended the WWSC last year in California? I don't think many. If they didn't attend in California, why would they attend in Florida?
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-21-2008, 8:36 PM Reply   
focus on the boats instead of the athletes? that makes sense

and isn't Centurion based in Merced?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-21-2008, 8:42 PM Reply   
waterdog, are there going to be two surfing competitions in Texas on the same weekend? The Wake Outlaws event is weekend of June 20th.

Skimmer, humor me. Why are the pros more important than the ams? Are the pros going to let the fat, bald, old men like me take 1, 2, and 3? I'm going for sure now.

Forgive my ignorance, I’ve only been to California a few times and I’m a truly land locked surfer. When you’re talking about the best talent, you’re talking about ocean surfers and skimmers, right? Guys on the coast have more opportunity to ride and so they are better, right? Florida might be a good talent pool because they have a long season but the ocean waves are smaller.

The only quality wakesurfers are west coast ocean surfers and skimmers, good chance this is true. You say these are the riders needed to grow the sport. Some quality riders might travel to Worlds some won’t. Some marginal riders might not travel. A handful of local riders will come out of the woods and take home the spoils.

The thousands of lakes between the coasts are not a good talent pool and not the crowd that we’re trying to get involved in a kind of surfing that does not require an ocean.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-21-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
and even less of them are going to travel to Nashville. I'm sure the riding in the amateur divisons will be exciting and improved from last year but the professional division is going suffer.
Old     (flywatchingall)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-21-2008, 8:50 PM Reply   
are you guys for real
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-21-2008, 8:54 PM Reply   
The WWSC is not sanctioned by any governing body like USA Waterski. It is put on by Centurion Boats. It is a boat marketing event. Whenever I read the standings for a wakesurfing event, the names are usually recognizable wakesurfers. How many pro skimmers and ocean surfers currently compete in wakesurf events? It doesn't appear to be many. Why should Centurion cater to a group that does even participate in wakesurf events? I would be willing to bet that both of last year's World champs will be participating in Nashville and every first and second place finishers from last year's NWL National Championship will be there.

(Message edited by norris_laker on May 21, 2008)
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-21-2008, 8:54 PM Reply   
my point is if you're going to have a "professional" event and bill it as a "World Championship" that it's needs to attract the highest level of boardsport athletes.

Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-21-2008, 9:00 PM Reply   
"The WWSC is not sanctioned by any governing body like USA Waterski. It is put on by Centurion Boats. It is a boat marketing event."

how ironic, this just happens to be the number one reason more skimboarding manufacturers aren't sending riders. it's ran like a marketing event instead of a contest.
Old     (flywatchingall)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-21-2008, 9:01 PM Reply   
If the "professional" athletes want a shot at the title they will be there. Why shouldn't the "World Championship" be moved from year to year? It is a sport based around people surfing behind boats not in the ocean. Most people wakesurfing are not from the coast, they are land locked kicking it the only way they can behind a boat on a lake, river, etc. not the ocean.
Old     (flywatchingall)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-21-2008, 9:06 PM Reply   
then why don't you step up and put on an event caskimmer, get the "skimboarding manufactures" to put up the $$$ and throw an event.

matter a fact did not see you at the worlds last year supporting it in your home state and now you are crying that it left, maybe it was lack of support from locals like yourself that caused them to change locations
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-21-2008, 9:12 PM Reply   
Since the highest level boardsport athletes didn't show up last year at the WWSC which was held in CA, maybe Centurion decided it was time to change location. The event is a marketing event, not a true World Championship. There is no qualifying for the event and I believe anybody can participate. Next year a significant event is going to happen in wakesurfing, USA Waterski is going to sanction a true National Championship in wakesurfing. Still think Nashville is a great location and I expect a large crowd for the event.
Old    surfdad            05-21-2008, 9:16 PM Reply   
Fly Girl - I do find your first three post quite interesting, are you intimating that locals didn't support the WWSC's last year? And that the move is punitive on Centurions part?

Would you be so kind as to clarify for us?
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-21-2008, 9:19 PM Reply   
I just don't think (outside of 5-6 riders) that the talent pool is there yet for an inland Worlds. I don't mean to offend anyone or their abilities just expressing my opinion.

(and I wasn't there last year because I already had travel plans to be in Cabo by the time the dates & location were finally announced)

Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-21-2008, 9:25 PM Reply   
I think the "Nashville Open" or "Centurion Pro-Am" would be a much more appropriate billing

Old     (flywatchingall)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-21-2008, 9:37 PM Reply   
Jeff, just saying why would you complain about something that you do not support? Why should it be held in the same place every year, what about the rest of the fans and riders around the country that would love to have this event in there backyard for a change?
Old     (jstieg)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-21-2008, 11:53 PM Reply   
im just bummed because i cant put out the money to travel all the way to nashville for a contest. so once again, i will not see any of you at the "world wakesurf championships"
Old    surfdad            05-22-2008, 5:04 AM Reply   
Thanks Flygirl for the clarification. I'm not sure that I would have interpreted your statement: "maybe it was lack of support from locals like yourself that caused them to change locations" to mean what you did. It certainly seemed more expansive than you intended and it also seemed to me that you were saying the move was a direct response to a lack of local support. I'm glad that isn't what you, or anyone else, wanted to convey.

Tennessee is beautiful country.
Old     (nautiquelove)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-22-2008, 5:42 AM Reply   
i am going to be at nashville. kinda random place though i do think. There will be a huge event in florida towards september with pro divisions. we are putting it on and it will be pulled by correct craft.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 7:27 AM Reply   
No support? Grabbag has contributed to every single person who has ever asked me. I've given out 10x as many bags as I've sold to wakesurfers.

and again I would have been there but was out of the country (my sister was there). Supporting something doesn't mean blindly cheer leading anything wakesurfing related, it also means speaking out about things you don't agree with. IMO (I believe I'm allowed one) this is a bad move at the professional level.

(Message edited by CAskimmer on May 22, 2008)
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
Skimmer, humor me. Why are the pros more important than the ams?
Don't see where I even implied that? I've already said this is a great location for an amateur event, pro-am or even a professional event just not the world championships at the professional level. Never

What I keep saying is that a professional world championship should be accessible to the best athletes possible and an event 700 miles from one coast and 2300 miles from the other isn't. Maybe more pros would have shown up if the last year's details on location/ date weren't so skethcy or they actually knew about it. I didn't see any marketing for it outside of this site.}

Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
that "never" at the end of the 1st paragraph was suppose to be part of another sentence I deleted. Didn't want to make it seem like I said it's never going to be an adequate location for a professional world championship. I just don't think we're ready for it in 2008.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-22-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
The top three women in the Pro division and the top male in the Pro division, all probably flew 3000 miles (3 from Florida and 1 from Maryland) to attend the WWSC last year. I don't understand the argument why a Pro in California can't fly 2300 miles. If the WWSC is important to them, they should plan on attending were the competition is located. Nashville is a much easier location to get to for most people than Merced, CA. If the Pro skimmers and Ocean surfers didn't participate in the past six events held in CA, why would this year be any different?
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
and there will be even less competition for Centurion's riders this year.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
sure looks like it's being hyped up that the world's best skimboarders and surfers will be in attendance.

Upload
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-22-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
How would this be any different if the competition was held in Orlando? Would the Pro CA riders that wouldn't fly 2300 miles to Nashville, fly 3000 miles to Florida? The Florida riders will travel to Nashville. It is very easy get from Florida to Nashville (direct flight or 10 hour drive).
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
I don't understand the argument why a Pro in California can't fly 2300 miles. If the WWSC is important to them, they should plan on attending were the competition is located.
because a sponsor isn't about to spend that type of money to send riders to a "marketing event" in the middle of the country without a reasonable purse or exposure. At this point in the game the WWSC needs the athletes more then they need it if they want to increase exposure. Surfline or Fuel isn't going to run footage of amateurs.

Old     (surf_rage)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-22-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
Hey, caskimmer. I see your point and the others. This is a very young sport and what is happening is you have several groups jocking for position for so called control. Boat manufactures, USA waterski, internet retailers, board companies, etc. I can see in the future centurion, USA waterski and AWSA all having WWSC. I know waterdog and others are working on a triple crown comp were they have a comp in CA, FL and TX. That keeps the comp close to coastal regions and should draw and bring the surf talent to those events. Maybe you should contact Billy at ASC boards and work with them and help get those events started.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
and for the record I hope I'm wrong
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-22-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
Caskimmer, I think we are debating two separate issues. I'm debating Nashville as a good location for a major wakesurf event and I think you are debating Centurion's legitimacy of have a World Championship.

(Message edited by norris_laker on May 22, 2008)
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
no I'm saying Nashville is a bad location for a professional world championship. Not dissing Centurion or saying there shouldn't be a major competition there.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
In order to gain exposure wakesurfing needs as many media outlets as possible and it just isn't happening. Making it harder for pros to travel to the event is a step in the wrong direction and will limit the possibilities of outside exposure. Again I hope I'm wrong
Old     (surf_rage)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-22-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
Well its a Centurion WWSC and their interest is boat sales. This move is about branding, generating sales and larger market sales in the east. They have a manufacturing center in NC that builds all there boats east of the rockies. The rider that they support is in FL so its pretty simple to see why they have made this move.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
I agree, they moved the "world championships" to better suit their interests and not the sport's. So yes, if that's indeed the case then I do question Centurions legitimacy to throw an event that bills itself as showcasing the very best the world has to offer. This event isn't going to do that. There will be a couple top caliber riders but that's it.

(Message edited by caskimmer on May 22, 2008)
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
Seems to me that if there wasn't enough outside professional participation in the past that they should take steps to change that not ensure even less participation/ competition at the professional level.

Old     (surf_rage)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-22-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
I completely hear you about bring in the pro's. I know ASC has 4 pro surfers on there team now. These guys surf the small Texas waves their whole life's, so when they get behind the boat they are doing 360 spins, shuvits, big air tricks with all types of grabs, riding revert you name it the first time and the longer they ride behind the boat the better and more constantly they will land those tricks. Why does ASC do this, because its about the progression of the sport and taking it to the next level in the Texas region. I think you have groups like the AWSA, mob group, ASC and yourself that are about the riders and the progression of the sport and then you have others that put their interest first. Nothing wrong with either side.
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-22-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
show..yes i heard the river rats having a big air and trik comp in austin same time as the wakeoutlaw deal..i know for sure the river rat comp will absolutely be split,surf from skim.no bs surprises.ASC will be at the river rat comp.i rode with some dudes from nashville while back,they ripped..could tell they had been riding alot.to bad that comp wont be split surf from skim.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 11:18 AM Reply   
Scott, email me when you have more details about a possible triple crown. That really sounds like something I'd be interested in getting behind and makes a lot more sense.

(and for the record I'm not argueing against this for personal reason. I'd like nothing more then the contest being a success and I do know more than a little bit about boardsport marketing and increasing exposure. It's what I do- http://hairtriggerproductions.com/)

Old     (bri)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-22-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
well i'm excited it's in nashville.. i've never been there before and i love going to new places!
Old     (nautiquelove)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-22-2008, 1:17 PM Reply   
ive been there n loved it. and yes i think it will be fun. it will probably bring in an entirely new crowd of ppl in which this sport needs.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-22-2008, 1:21 PM Reply   
What steps should be taken to change professional participation in wakesurfing? In my opinion (which could be very wrong), I think wakesurfing will always be a fringe professional sport at best. It doesn’t have the “wow” factor for most people like wakeboarding or ocean boarding. BTW, it does have a wow factor for me. Not much danger in wakesurfing. Wakesurfing is also done in a very controlled environment (boat going a constant speed with a constant wake). Without the benefit of a rope or a powerful ocean wave, it is limiting on what can physically be done behind a two foot boat wake. Have you ever been to a wakesurf event? The atmosphere and camaraderie is great but if you aren’t on the boat, it is not a very good spectator sport. I don’t foresee companies putting up big prize money for wakesurf events. Companies donate to and sponsor events mainly for marketing purposes.

Glad to see Bri is coming to WWSC. There are probably only a handful of riders (men or women) that can do what Bri can do behind a boat. Downtown Nashville will be a great venue. Over half on the population in the US is within a 650 mile radius of Nashville. It wouldn't surprise me if 15 to 20 people just from my area of Columbus, OH attend or participate in the WWSC. If the event was held in CA, maybe two to three would attend. This should be a great opportunity to market wakesurfing.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
I'm not disputing this will be a extremely successful event at the amateur level just that the level of competition at the professional level won't be a fierce as it could/ should be for a professional world championship.

I don't think it's good for the progression of the sport that an out of shape 38yr old (myself) would be at home in the professional division.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
What steps should be taken to change professional participation in wakesurfing?
I'd say a good start would be making sure they even know the contest exists. Most don't and it's awfully hard to attend an event you've never heard of.

Second, it should be in a location desirable for athletes & film crews. If it was in Florida, we'd be able to go over to Sebastian Inlet to film there and make the trip more cost effective. If it stayed in California we'd have the option to go to Santa Cruz. Nashville offers my team riders absolutely nothing besides the contest.

Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-22-2008, 2:45 PM Reply   
Nashville offers amatures that would never buck up to fly to the event the chance to drive there and get hooked on the sport. I feel the location should change every year. CA, then FLA, then TN, then OR, then NC, then Denver the sunshine state, ect...
If you are a die hard or pro you'll travel. If you want to grow the sport, you need to get noobs hooked by going to their local comps. Worlds will have the advertising and sponsorship to get the word out further.
If Centurion is the main sponsor than so be it. There will always be a primary sponsor whether is a beer company, board company, or boat company. The sport is young so the main sponsor is calling the shots at this time.
If you don't like the location, then your state championship might be as high as you go. If you are not that into it, I guess you won't travel. If you want to say that you are the World Champ than you'll travel and hopefully a sponsor will be picking up your tab.
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-22-2008, 2:52 PM Reply   
I don't understand the bashing of having worlds in nashville. Should it be in California Every year??? If we only have worlds in Ca, then the people on the east coast of the states have a harder time getting there. I think it is a great idea. This way it will show the sport to a new group of people in turn GROWING the sport of wakesurfing. Downtown Nashville is a really nice place and the event is going to be huge. Why would it take Tripling the purse to get people to Nashville. That makes no sense to me. This sport is till really young the more people that can see it and enjoy the better the sport will become. There are s ton of other people getting into this sport besides Pro Skimboarders and Pro Surfers. There are alot of blind comments on this post and it is kinda dissapointing. There are so many people inland that are wakesurfing as well as people that can't afford to go to California for a contest on there own wallet. So why keep catering to everyone out there and forget about the rest of the states. I bet there is some kid in a landlocked state that is doing stuff that is mind blowing. And one day the contest will reach his area and he will shred all of us. but can't now because he can't afford to travel far. And there are a ton of amatuers that love wakesurfing and would love to be apart of the The WWSC and support the sport that aren't going fly to CA for the event./ I think it is great that it is moving and that it is moving East. And as a side note Centurion also has a EAST coast factory in NC. Sorry for the long post, I told myself i wasn't going to read into forums anymore but this is just horrible. LETS ALL SUPPORT THE SPORT AND THE WWSC AND HELP THIS SPORT REACH IT'S FULL POTENTIAL.
yes i am affiliated with Centurion Boats however these comments i have posted above are straight from the way I feel and i wouldn't care who was running the contest.

Drew Danielo
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-22-2008, 2:57 PM Reply   
SCOTT (SURF RAGE)

CENTURIONS DECISION HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME LIVING IN FLORIDA, FOR THE RECORD I HAVE NO SAY ON WHERE THE EVENT IS HELD. SO LETS NOT JUDGE WHAT WE DON'T KNOW. I FOUND OUT THE DATES AND EVERYTHING ELSE THE SAME TIME EVERYONE DID.
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-22-2008, 3:06 PM Reply   
WARDOVISION

JUDGING BY YOUR POST IT SEEMS YOUR ARGUEMENT IS ABOUT MAKING IT CONVENIENT TO YOU AND YOUR TEAM THERE A TON OF OTHER PEOPLE IN THE STATES THAT WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND. YES FLORIDA WOULD BE MORE COST EFFECTIVE TO YOU AS IT WOULD FOR BRI AND MYSELF ALSO, WE COULD JUST STAY AT OUR OWN HOUSES GO COMPETE AND SLEEP IN OUR OWN BEDS WITH OUT HAVING TO TRAVEL AT ALL. BUT FLORIDA IS THE LAST PLACE THAT NEEDS TO SEE WAKESURFING, THERE ARE A TON OF PEOPLE DOING IT ALL OVER, IT NEEDS TO BE OUT IN THE STATES THAT DON'T HAVE BIG EVENTS AND MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN WITH NEW RIDERS. THIS EVENT WILL BE HUGE AND IF THE PRO LEVEL IS ANY LOWER THAN ANY PREVIOUS YEARS IT;'S BECAUSE THEY CHOSE NOT TO COME. AND I REALLY HOPE EVERYONE COMES AND SUPPORTS THE SPORT.

AND I AM NOT TRYING TO START AN ARGUEMENT AT ALL
I KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU DO AND I FULLY RESPECT THAT. I JUST BELIEVE SOME OF THESE POST WERE NOT NECESSARY (SP)

(Message edited by ollies_drew on May 22, 2008)
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
Try actually reading what I'm saying in my posts. for the upteenth time I'm not talking about the amateurs nor am I saying it has to stay in California. It does however need to make financial sense for pros to travel and I'm sure you're aware of what's been happening to travel budgets.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 3:11 PM Reply   
yes, we need to increase exposure at the grassroots level and increase the amount of contests but we also need to increase media exposure.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 3:14 PM Reply   
and yes I'm playing the devil's advocate a little too strongly and have said a few uncalled for things but this is how I feel. I love wakesurfing just as much as you and all I want to see more people like yourself be able to do this in a professional capacity. (I don't skim anymore this and skating is what I do for a release)

Old     (nautiquelove)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-22-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
ive already looked up the tickets and they are cheap. they would be more expensive for a place such as cali florida and such.
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-22-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
I understand what your saying, I figure it is one year and hoepfully every year after will be in a new destination. I do understand your traveling budget concerns but every company is having the same problem. If this event is bad hoepfully Centurion will realize that and move it to another location. I'm just saying lets not knock what hasn't been tried. Again I am not trying to be arguementive Your post were your opinion and these are mine. But seriously I hope you guys all come out and enjoy the contest.

(Message edited by ollies_drew on May 22, 2008)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-22-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
I think the change of venue is gutsy, a risk. Is this the worst thing to happen to the sport, I don't think so. Will change of venue grow the sport, you really can't say, just hope.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 3:27 PM Reply   
alright I'm done
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-22-2008, 3:33 PM Reply   
Have to agree with Drew. If you are a Pro and you care about the sport of wakesurfing, I would think you would plan on attending the biggest wakesurf event of the year. Until something better comes along or somebody starts a pro wakesurf tour , the WWSC is the best show in town. Nashville isn't some little hick town in the middle of no where. It is a great town to host the biggest wakesurf event of the year.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 3:36 PM Reply   
If you are a Pro and you care about the sport of wakesurfing, I would think you would plan on attending the biggest wakesurf event of the year

it would be nice if that was the case. Pro's very rarely travel outside of the budgets given to them and for even the top skimboarders Nashville is indeed in the middle of nowhere and beyond what they're able to do. Same with a lot of the pro surfers.

Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-22-2008, 3:47 PM Reply   
If the sponsors sell more boats or boards to the amatures and newbie's then more money for advertising and pro's travel budgets.
Sponsors aren't targeting pro's to buy boats since they already are locked to a brand, but people that are new to the sport.

If your sponsor's budget doesn't let you travel this year, then maybe they'll sell boats to the new market they just had Worlds at and next year the budget is increased. It's all a balancing act of marketing and money, and growing the sport.

Out.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 3:51 PM Reply   
and with proper media exposure those sponsors will be able to reach even more people
Old     (mostknownunknowns)      Join Date: May 2008       05-22-2008, 5:55 PM Reply   
First of all WakeSURFING needs to be affiliated with the sport of SURFING. Has Centurion even tried to branch out in the media of surfing to tell the story? NO! There is no advertising for the event in any media related to surfing, nor are there any press releases on (surfingmag, surfermag, transworldsurf, surfline etc). Where are they? They need to be blowing this up to both industries alike. I find it interesting that they are not creating invites to top ranked pro surfers. Are we not surfing?????
Thus, if this is ever going to be a true sport & grow properly, it needs to at least be advertised properly & the same with skim as well.

I know I am not the only one who wants to see the best possible athletes enter the event.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-22-2008, 5:58 PM Reply   
Welcome to this forum
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-22-2008, 6:21 PM Reply   
Children children children... do we need corners and dunce caps??? haha I only had to read one post and i got the vibes of adults who have their nickers in a twist, untwist them... take 10 breaths.... crack a cold one.... and realaxxxx lol thats my way on the highway most of the time.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-22-2008, 6:22 PM Reply   
minus the cold one
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-22-2008, 6:33 PM Reply   
exactly, you can't have the pro turnout if nobody knows about it. It's not that the surfing and skim communities haven't been supporting the event because they've never been given the chance.

(I wanted to bring up Scrappy and Toad)
Old     (t_mann)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-22-2008, 6:51 PM Reply   
I think that some of you need to take a step back and think about what you are saying. You may want to give the people that planned this event some credit.

Before you pass judgment, I would ask; did you think that downtown Nashville (right on the river walk in the middle of a large city) might have more exposure than Merced California? Did you know that the Tennessee Titans have a football game the same Sunday as the WWSC and the stadium happens to be right across the street from the river? Did you think that maybe there are already plans in place to have the Nashville TV media cover the event? Did you know that the airport is close enough to the event that you do not need a rental car? Did you now there are multiple hotels within walking distance of the event site? Did you think that according to the last several years standings the best talent in the world will be there, and according to their posts on this thread support this site?

Last time I checked an airline ticket is s few hundred dollars to almost anywhere in the US, and considering the prize purse for the winner of the men's division was $5,000 last year, seems like a pretty good return on investment (if you are a pro and one of the best). This event is about riding behind the boat not skimming in the ocean.

How about letting the event play out and see how it goes? They say doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is insane. So if you keep going back to same old places and and the same people show up do you think that the competition side of wakesurfing is going to grow? Not if you don't expose more people to it. Wakesurfing is exploding all over the country, growing faster than wakeboarding did at the beginning. Look at the number of wakesurf boards that are being sold. Most of those boards are not going to Florida and California, they are going to the average Joe in Nashville and all the inland places like it.

How can you bash something just because it is inconvenient for you and have no idea what has been planned? I think it is great that it is moving somewhere new and is a step in the right direction.
Old     (surf_rage)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-22-2008, 6:53 PM Reply   
Cabocharley, now we are starting to get to the root of the problem! atless for those of us that want the sport of SURFING involved! I don't think that centurion wants surfing involved. Why you ask, will think about it? Oh, Drew before you chime in, i know you didn't have a say in the location. My point was based on centurion interest in the boat industry not you and now Cabo is starting to shed some light on the other issue!
Old     (surf_rage)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-22-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
Hey Mann don't forget the disclaim. You forgot to tell everyone who you are. Maybe thats not a rule, i think Jeff made that up but i like it so how about it.