Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old    d_fresh            11-27-2007, 3:49 PM Reply   
I was told that the most stable way to make a floating slider or fun box was to use an old pontoon boat. You're just using the tubes and deck, and building on top of that. Does anyone have info or pics or links to this style slider?
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-27-2007, 4:27 PM Reply   
We've been discussing going that route also. If you come across some plans or gin up your own please post them for constructive comments. All I can add is the longer the better and more stable.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-27-2007, 5:41 PM Reply   
So would you have to register it? Could you get a ticket for not maintaining distance from the rider........

We have talked about using an old pontoon boat and weld the frame of the slider directly to the pontoons. JHG is right, longer is better. I would love to see pictures.
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-28-2007, 3:14 PM Reply   
I dont think you need to register it if you dont have a motor on the pontoon. Maintaining distance from anchored objects in the water is a different story. The police, in general, are not fans of sliders so they may have a problem with you hitting the slider.

For the design your going to want to build a wooden frame to put on top of the pontoon deck. A-frames would be my suggestion. Theyre relativley simple to design and bulid. Just use plans of a regular floater that uses barrels and figure a way to attatch the frame securely to the deck instead of building the frame around drums/barrels. A lot of progression, riding wise, can be accomplished on them as well. Make sure the angle of the up-ramp is not too big so you dont get thrown off the top of the incline. Good luck, take pictures of the building process and if you run into any complications the guys of WW are pretty knowledgable to get you a solution so you can get out and throw some hammers down.
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       11-28-2007, 6:28 PM Reply   
I'd check with your state laws on the registration. Some states (Iowa off the top of my head) make you register EVERYTHING including canoes and i think even paddleboats.
Old     (pete_moss)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-28-2007, 6:44 PM Reply   
Yeah we're pretty picky here in Iowa. It's about enough to make you sick. I swear there are more DNR than boaters on some lakes. There's absolutely no way they would allow any kind of slider without registration and safety provisions. As a side note how do you anchor the slider if you build it on an old pontoon? seems like it would do a lot of moving around on you.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-28-2007, 8:49 PM Reply   
my guess is you'd have to screw that sucker down, or thrubolt that thing. I'm also no construction expert. Just a thought...if you put a ramp on one side, it'd be a pretty sweet flat slider. The whole pontoon concept is pretty sweet though. I've never seen it done.
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-28-2007, 8:56 PM Reply   
ive got a place in lewiston over by gaylord, and i put in a 30 foot flatbar, and told people it was a "swim platform". i really didnt get called out for it at all, but the 5-0 was on the lake like twice this past summer. im thinking about making a 30 or 40 foot box and using a couple of empty drums to float it. if i had a pontoon i would definatly use it tho, and just make it a huge funbox. hit me up when you make it tho, id definatly like to come out and help/session it if you get around to it.
Old     (iluvrussell)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-29-2007, 6:45 AM Reply   
alex, sh*tty pontoon boats are easy to get and really cheap. you should look into buyin one especially if live near a bunch of rednecks or are a redneck yourself and live near the water. here in florida there all over the place and you can find one in bad shape for ahundred or so dollars.
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-29-2007, 3:11 PM Reply   
ya that would be sick to just slap some plexiglass on the top of it.... ill look into buying one. and i wouldnt consider myself redneck, i live in detroit
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-29-2007, 3:25 PM Reply   
james... let me know where I can find one here in FL for that I have been looking for years.
Old     (dhr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-29-2007, 4:11 PM Reply   
there is some pics of a slider on a pontoon frame here http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/434361.html?1176787835
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-30-2007, 9:08 AM Reply   
That looks similar to plans Jocko (Wake TV) showed me about 5 years ago..... Pretty sweet.
Old    d_fresh            12-03-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
After looking into it and talking to people, it looks like I am in the market for an old beater pontoon boat. No motor, no furniture, etc. Just the tubes and frame. I was hoping on making this my winter project. I didn't consider using a pontoon as the base for the fun box/slider, until recently. So if there is anyone out there that has one and is a reasonable drive from Detroit, MI, please let me know.

Doug
WLWake