Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (tim20man)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-20-2006, 9:49 PM Reply   
just wondering if any of you have had to take a reverse light wire and wire it into your seven pin connector so the trailer reverse lights come on and disengage the trailer brakes for backing up. i have a 98 gmc 1/2 ton 4x4 the trailer is wired already for the reverse light but my truck is not. How can i go about doing this.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-20-2006, 9:50 PM Reply   
you might have better luck posting this in the boats forum.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-20-2006, 9:53 PM Reply   
my breaks on my trailer would lock up and not move at all and the back up lights would NOT come on either..i had a blown fuse for the reverse lamps (what the trucks manuel said) changed the fuse and that fixed it right away.
sorry i just read your truck is not wired for reverse lights..you might have to go and get it wired so that it will work..the other thing you can do is stick a screwdriver in the little hole in the front of the trailer and that should allow you to back up..works most of the time but not always..that is what i did before i checked the fuse!

hopes this helps!
post this in the boat section and you should get more responses!

(Message edited by pittsy on June 20, 2006)
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-21-2006, 6:55 AM Reply   
You can rig it to work in the meantime, by simply taking a 1/2 bolt and taping it (inside) the slide, preventing the slide from moving all the way back-when reversing. This is an easy fix, until you get your truck wired correcting.
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-21-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
I have a 98 GMC Z71...you can piggy back onto your back up light wire on your truck. Its light green. Find your wiring harness that feeds your tail lights and its there.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-21-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
At the connection, Plug the two ends of the connection together and turn on your parking lights. You should here the brakes release. I think its brown to blue, but I am not sure.
(Message edited by psudy on June 21, 2006)

Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       06-21-2006, 1:07 PM Reply   
here is the trick... plug your trailer lights into the truck backwards, and then turn your headlights on. I know it sounds crazy, but I got this trick from the men that build these things. I used to have to do it every time until I bought a truck with the appropriate harness in the back.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-21-2006, 4:23 PM Reply   
i used to do something similar to what josh said. just find the pin that operates the brake release and plug it up to the one on the truck that is hot with headlights on. you should here the solenoid release when you get it right. good luck.
Old    robertt            06-21-2006, 8:41 PM Reply   
They are right. Don't do anything major, just reverse the plug. Assuming you have a standard five connector plug, which four of them are male and one is female, just revers it. When you do, you will only have four conductors used, the other two are hanging out in the wind.

If standard is 12345 connected to 12345, the reverse is 2345 connected to 1234.

Just turn it around and connect it the only way you can, then turn on your headlights and you are fine.

If this makes no sense.....call the dealer:-)