Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2007, 7:40 PM Reply   
Yikes... the local Epic on our lake... more problems... hopefully it gets straightened out soon... taking on water.... but will go back to the shop to get figured out...
Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-25-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
Like Rich asked:

How many units has Epic sold thus far? (in numerical value)?
Old    00wakesetter            06-25-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
Tha wake looks sick!!!!!
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-25-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
How many units has Epic sold thus far? (in numerical value)?
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       06-25-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
@mn">D@mn you guys all need to relax. Ask how many Malibus/MCs/CCs have been sold and see how long it takes to get a straight answer. Better yet, tell me why they should answer you?

-Steve
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-25-2007, 1:08 PM Reply   
How many units have been sold? How many have been ordered/ orders not met yet? Starting to seem like a lot of smoke and mirrors. Seen a few people get some, but would think there'd be a lot more out with all this hype.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-25-2007, 6:07 PM Reply   
Well the guys I know that got one... have taken it back and said that they could keep it... hahahaha... don't know if those were their exact words... all I know is they are pretty mad.... but I am sure once all the kinks get worked out... they will be able to smooth things over... the latest was... the boat was taking on water.... and the bilge was working overtime... hence the battery was going dead.... dont think that was the only reason for the battery going dead... but that was the latest... now they found the leak... this is funny... the middle skeg was missing.... how does that happen? theese guys that own this boat are ultra cautious.. so i doubt they have hit anything... and there is no damage to the boat... just the middle skeg is missing...

now may worry is that water has now entered the core of the boat... the layer between the gel coat and outer layer of foam.. if this is the case... in the winter.. if the moisture within the core freezes... it will cause blistering, delamination etc...

hopefully it gets straightened out... it is the only Epic on our lakes... the homegrown/built boat... is having some bad luck... but they will figure it out.... hopefully sooner than later!
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-25-2007, 6:07 PM Reply   
Well the guys I know that got one... have taken it back and said that they could keep it... hahahaha... don't know if those were their exact words... all I know is they are pretty mad.... but I am sure once all the kinks get worked out... they will be able to smooth things over... the latest was... the boat was taking on water.... and the bilge was working overtime... hence the battery was going dead.... dont think that was the only reason for the battery going dead... but that was the latest... now they found the leak... this is funny... the middle skeg was missing.... how does that happen? theese guys that own this boat are ultra cautious.. so i doubt they have hit anything... and there is no damage to the boat... just the middle skeg is missing...

now may worry is that water has now entered the core of the boat... the layer between the gel coat and outer layer of foam.. if this is the case... in the winter.. if the moisture within the core freezes... it will cause blistering, delamination etc...

hopefully it gets straightened out... it is the only Epic on our lakes... the homegrown/built boat... is having some bad luck... but they will figure it out.... hopefully sooner than later!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-25-2007, 10:22 PM Reply   
Whats your deal Kyle, you start off as Epics biggest supporter now you hang out there dirty laundry at every opportunity? I don't get it.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-25-2007, 10:31 PM Reply   
Darren... just reporting what is going on with the one boat we have here locally. Still a big supporter. So big deal.. they are having some issues with this boat. I am sure that how they deal with these issues will only help them in the future. The time is now... early stages of a company are always going to have problems.. it is how they deal with them... is what makes the difference.

In my opinion... Epic kicks up the biggest wake out of the box...

I don't have one because I don't have any money... but for those that want the biggest wake... there is a boat on the market that will do it... Epic.

People comment on the good and bad of various boat manufacturers...

No big deal. I don't work for anyone... I feel I can give a good unbiased opinion.

I personally own a Supreme... there are things I like and dont like... but if someone is looking for an opinion on my boat or any other boat I have had the opportunity to thouroughly test out... I will give them the good bad and the ugly... if there is...
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-26-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
Ok, how about a show of hands who has an Epic? Just curious as to where their production boats have been going. I can count 5-6 from posts on here.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-26-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
A-Dub...

Group of guys in Penticton.
Pirate Boat.
King of the cage fighter.

Those are the three that I know of... that are owned by a consumer.. not by a guy that is acting as a dealer.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-26-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
> I feel I can give a good unbiased opinion.

What the heck are you talking about Kyle? You're always bashing EPIC, it's non-stop. Everyone who has been around Wakeworld for long enough knows that you had some deal that went bad with the founder of Epic. And now you're motivated to destroy Epic. You've been caught setting up separate accounts on Wakeworld to further your bashing cause.

Plus, you're always allusive when talking about these boats that have problems. "I know some guys," "The boats I tested", "Group of guys in Penticton."

Why don't you name names? Oh yeah, that's because last year you tried bashing Radgalz's Epic and they showed up here and defended Epic. Not to mention that Radgalz operates a Wake School that competes with yours.

>I don't have one because I don't have any money..

That's because you have no job.

>the oil is not circulating through the motor properly...

Oil that is under pressure is not circulating properly? rrrriiight, that's a good one. Any other advice for Volvo? I'm sure they could you a subject matter expert like you.

> I feel I can give a good unbiased opinion.
I feel your opinion is completely biased, unfounded, ignorant, and harshly tainted with ulterior motives.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-26-2007, 12:29 PM Reply   
Phew, the smell of Dirty laundry.

So we have 3 boats sold......anymore?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-26-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
Who gives a crap how many boats they sold!

If you like it,buy it,if you don't,then DON'T.....simple!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-26-2007, 1:17 PM Reply   
I give a crap and am interested (and am apparently not the only one). All I hear is raves and wake wars. When success will really come down to meeting the demand that your marketing creates. If I am looking to buy I would like to know how many production, not prototype or demo models, have been made. I'll rephrase my question. How many boats have been made and delivered? Now that sounds like a dick, which I didn't want to, but thats what I want to know. Starting to seem like a lot of fluff and not a lot of action with the sole fact an answer didn't just pop up, not even a guess.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-26-2007, 1:26 PM Reply   
telling you they sold 3000 boats will get you interested more in the Epic?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-26-2007, 1:33 PM Reply   
Sure, if it meant they were meeting their demand, or even actually making boats.....
Old    00wakesetter            06-26-2007, 1:34 PM Reply   
Some pepole like to know a little back round. Like how the company is doing, are they going to be around in a couple of years. Theese sound like good questions. I have seen pics of the wakes theese boats produced and would love to ride behind one, but if a couple of simple questions cant be answered forget it.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-26-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
Wanting to know the back ground is one thing and understandable but knowing how many boats they sold has nothing to do with anything.Why don't you tell me how many boats Malibu sold?
Old    00wakesetter            06-26-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
I think we know malibu isnt going anywhere. What do we have that says Epic is going to be around in 2 years when Epic owners need service or warranty work. I think pepole want to feel like Epic is heading in the right direction before they go fork out 60k on a boat. Back to the original question: how many boats the have sold= are they making any profit to keep producing boats in the future.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-26-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
Thats good stuff Craig.

Talk to Epic... they are a little frusterated with some of the minor issues with the Volvo power plant... I am going to guess you may see a Mercruiser 6.2L Black Scorpion in one of the next boats that comes out.

As for a business deal gone bad... There was never a business relationship assumed or implied. So there is nothing that could go sideways.

As for a competing Wakeboard school. Radglaz is located in a different city and operates during the summer. They cater mostly to female riders. They have a great operation. Yes they had problems with their Epic... as it was run dry of oil.

There has been a few problems with oil consumption... this has caused some more questions... as to why there seems to be what might be considered "excessive" oil consumption.

You can't expect a new company to be perfect. They are trying new ideas... so you would expect some issues along the way.

I am in the midst of setting up 4 new Epic dealers... the shops are almost open and they will be in discussion with Epic directly.

I will not receive anything from these deals if something comes of it. I am not in the marine or boating industry.

If I was in the business to get something out of it... then I would make up agreements etc..

Its a tough business to crack... they will do fine.

They got a great boat... just some kinks to work out.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-26-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
Big Ed, I am in Sales, and the longevity of company, amount of customers, and references of said customers are a serious question mark of prospects.

If I was looking at Epic, my concern would be market penetration, local dealer support, and references and track record.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-26-2007, 3:55 PM Reply   
There has got to be more than 3 sold. That is all I know of based on wakeworld posts.

As for profitability... try building a boat from scratch.. and then put your self in a position to build 1 per week... it costs a lot of money...

I would assume they are having to carry debt... but it really comes down to positive cash flow.

Looking at most new product inventions...

Come up with an idea the public will like.
Test group - work out the kinks.
Build and sell and focus on quality control and customer service.
New innovations and models.

You can't just build a boat and throw it on the water and expect it to be perfect....
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-26-2007, 4:04 PM Reply   
Craig... what do you figure is fair when someone wants to know more about a boat....

I owned an Aztec Crow... it threw up a mound of mush. It looked like a cool boat. I picked it up brand new for dirt cheap. Sold it for more than I paid for it. If someone asked me my opinion about one... If I only had negative things to say about it... would that be trying to destroy Aztec... They have closed their doors and their molds are for sale... I don't think anyone is jumping up and down trying to buy their molds.

What background do you have about the Epics...

I have had the opportunity to see the boat in person.. tour the factory... help in some of the ideas...

When the little things are worked out... it will kick ass.

If the Epic was my design... I would go back to traditional hand laid fiberglass hull... and go to a 5.7L motor... either Indmar, PCM or Merc....

I think what makes the boat stand above the rest.. is the wake... which is created by the ballast and hull design... so why not copy what all the others are doing.. follow the tried tested and true building methods.... and a power plant that is proven in the tow sports industry...

When you try so many different innovative idea at your first attempt... you have more issues to work out.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-26-2007, 4:41 PM Reply   
Shane,I understand all that but you guys have to give a little time for all this to develop.owners are going to start popping out just a little patience and what makes everybody think that there are no other owners that don't visit WW?

I think the boat has serious potential,people just need to chill out........patience is a virtue.
Old    bocephus            06-26-2007, 4:47 PM Reply   
Toyota used to make wakeboarding boats...
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-26-2007, 5:17 PM Reply   
Ed, I am not one of the ones wanting numbers, because I am not in the market place, but at some point the potential consumer will begin to wonder.
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-26-2007, 5:32 PM Reply   
the toyotas were great boats i wish they still made them
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-26-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
The original Epic is a Toyota. Just over 600 were made from '99-'01. They have an outstanding fit and finish that rivals most new boats available today.

The Lexus engine is the same engine that they use in the flagship LS sedan. It's a dual overhead cam engine with variable valve timing and it uses a fraction of the gas that a typical inboard engine uses.

The quality of the boat is exactly what you'd expect from Toyota/Lexus. Top notch.

The prices of Toyota Epics are rather steady. Mine has not depreciated at all in the three years I've owned it. In fact, I could sell it for more today than I paid for it. It's a great boat with great performance on the water.

Go to www.epicmarine.com for more info on Toyota Epics.
Old    bocephus            06-26-2007, 6:33 PM Reply   
My point is that the number of boats that a company sells, the stability of the company, and market appeal the boat has has little to do with how long the company is going to be around in the boat business. The boat business is a strange business, sometimes a company that builds 5 boats a year stays in business for 30 years and other times a company that sells 600 in three years closes it's doors...
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-26-2007, 6:53 PM Reply   
I don't see too many people building a 50-60K boat selling 5 per year staying in business at all. I promise you whatever VC or Private Equity is behind Epic will expect more.
Old    bocephus            06-27-2007, 6:53 AM Reply   

quote:

By shane (auto) on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 6:53 pm:

I don't see too many people building a 50-60K boat selling 5 per year staying in business at all. I promise you whatever VC or Private Equity is behind Epic will expect more.

Rudy Ramos did it for over 30 years, probably more like 50 years under Raysoncraft. There are several others, just not wakeboarding boats.

How do you know that Epic isn't meant to be a write-off, a money losing entity? How much money do you see being invested in a kid who builds a boat in his garage? The boat industry doesn't exactly have a great ROI track record...
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-27-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
Are you serious? Sales, stability and market appeal has little to do with success?!?? What kind of marketing program are you familiar with? Yea, I'm sure they're in business to not make money. And if that is true, would you buy one knowing that, or even respect a company who would do that to the sport? I'm not saying they are, I hope they wouldn't, and for the record I really like the boat and the ideas behind everything. Why does everyone come to defend companies "pushing new ideas" when they get called out? Failure is an ingredient for future success, and needs to be addressed. I want to know how many boats (ROUGHLY) have been produced, manufactured, sold, whatever someone can put out there. The fact this can't be answered, and quickly due to someone who frequents this board and normally writes on Epic posts, is a bad sign. I don't think they are manufacturing boats, and if they are, not doing it quick enough. Again, a lot of marketing and not a lot of action. I'm not going to tell stories because I hope they are only rumors, which is why I'm wondering all this. And no one has come to diminish these "rumors".
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-27-2007, 8:02 AM Reply   
Well said A-dub. I believe they are manufacturing boats, even if they are have engine problems.
Old    bocephus            06-27-2007, 8:20 AM Reply   
Yes, I'm serious the boat business does not equate to regular business, it's a very strange animal and doesn't always equate to common business practices. I have seen people put their entire life savings along with their families savings in to a money losing boat business. I can think of at least one guy who borrowed money against his house, his father's house, and his sister's house to stay in the business, fail, go to jail for drug possession, come out and do it all over again, get back out and start a successful boat company...the boat business is crazy! Maybe not for the big three, but for the start up business it's absolutely crazy!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-27-2007, 8:45 AM Reply   
Soooooooooo..... I don't think you realize you're helping the point. Could we know some numbers so that we for sure know that sales $'s are solidifying someone not losing their house, or becoming a deviant in society.? (joking, sort of). I don't care what historically has happened with start up companies, I've heard those scenerios as well. Where banks can't afford to deny more loans because thats their only chance at getting any money back. I just want to know whats up with Epic selling boats?!? I've heard all about the wake, heard rants and raves, and seen their customs. This sounds like what you are talking about, which is not a company I want to work with. Again, I wish them well, but it's odd that with all the ranting, raving and marketing done on this site, which is supposedly against guidelines, no one is here to answer. The stories I've heard are only getting more real.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-27-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
Boccphus - I think I know the boat company you are talking about but I don't want you to get in trouble on here again.
Old    bocephus            06-27-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
I completely understand...for what it's worth I have seen three Epics here in AZ. Jimmy's white one, an all black one, and another white one in perfect shape (that means it's not Jimmy's - his is beat to hell and was supposedly an early production model).
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-27-2007, 8:54 AM Reply   
I saw three Epic boats at the Phoenix Boat show in February so they definately have built some boats. It always seems to take boat companies a few years to get the bugs worked out and gain the traction in the market with their dealers and customers so it seems to me that we just need to let things work their course.
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-27-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
does anyone know how i could get a pull on one?
Old     (wakecda)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-27-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
If you what see or ride behind the Epic contact me and we will set it up. For A-dub the production of the boats are good, you want on I can have one to in five days, also if you rush into something and manufacture crap you will not be in business very long. Kyle what the hell, should very one just conform to the same process of making boats. The mastercraft dealer here sold a $140k boat and it was in the shop 4 times in 30 days because of engine problems. My friend runs a wakeboarding camp and they have two 247s and they dont come close to the performance of the Epic and they are $20k more each.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-27-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
Joe, I dont think that is a fair comparison. The epic is a 23ft boat while the 247 is a 24 1/2 ft boat. Of course the performance is going to be different. Also, malibu is a reputable boat company. Of course they are going to be a little more expensive. Why does it matter that the $140k mastercraft had engine problems? A company builds 3000 boats a year, of course one is going to have problems. Why does it matter if it was the $50k model or the $200k model? Are you trying to justify that epic is better because the top 3 wakeboard boat companies aren't perfect?

Don't get me wrong, I think Epic's concepts are great. I hope they come out with a 21 foot version, because I would buy one when I graduate. I would love a pull, im in Louisiana.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-27-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
Joe... sorry for the confusion... I dont think Epic should conform to what everybody else is doing... but I also dont think they should try and change everything... introduce change slowly...

but all in all... I think everyone should sell their existing boat... and buy an Epic... that would get their numbers up....

I have a news video clip somewhere on my laptop that I will try and post a link for... they stated 2 years ago that they would be building 200-250 units...

(Message edited by hamkj on June 27, 2007)
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-27-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
Still no numerical values to sales. The dealer here contacted me and he had nothing good to say either .

I would say if Epic could capture at least 2-3% of the total sales in the "skiboat" category that would be a success. That would roughly be 325 units sold.

Number taken from (http://www.nmma.org/facts/boatingstats/2006/files/Abstract.pdf)
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-27-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
Kyle, I think the only problem with introducing change slowly is that if they have a warehouse using one method, it will cost a lot to switch to another method of production. From what I have heard, the resin infusion makes a really solid hull on the Epic.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-27-2007, 10:15 AM Reply   
Thank you Joe! Understand if they work to early and fast, things could go wrong. Thanks for the reply. If you could get some numbers that would be great..
Old    bocephus            06-27-2007, 10:17 AM Reply   
I will be interested in seeing a hull in 5 years. I know Jimmy's has been repaired several times and has taken a beating in general. Epics are often compared to offshore boats since they use an infusion process too, but there is a difference, they infuse balsa core into everything which seems to be significantly stronger than foam or what ever Epic is infusing. I don't build boats so I really have no idea, but I couldn't find any balsa core in the epic, but it's all over a Fountain. I do know for a fact that Jimmy's boat was in really bad shape, but was told it was a pre-production model. I think they should trade out Jimmy's boat if it's going to be running around all over the country.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-27-2007, 10:31 AM Reply   
Leo... it is difficult to go from traditional hand laid and chopper gun application to resin infused... but to go the other way around is not costly.. just time consuming.. take a bit longer to produce a hull... in my opinion.. i would rather have a hull take longer to manufacture if it meant it would last longer in my hands.

as for the difference in pre-production model and production model... the hulls are the same.. construction methods are the same...

the only one that was hand laid... was the black prototype... which took a lickin.. and kept on ticken... that thing was bullet proof!!! Boston Whaler would have been proud!

there are a lot of fiberglass builders in the Okanagan... boats, bathtubs, hot tubs, showers, rvs.. etc etc etc... Some use resin infusion for some of their parts... but still use chopper and hand laid processes for others... pros and cons to all methods...

but i will still stay firm on my issue with resin infused for boat hulls that are exposed to freezing temperatures.

If water finds it way into the core... and it freezes.. it will split... Grade 2 Science Class.
Old    bocephus            06-27-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
I can't remember, did I read somewhere that the Epic doesn't use ballast tanks but stores the water in compartments that are actually made up of hull material?
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-27-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
Basically... the hull is made.
When it is still in the mold... there are tops with baffles attached that are attached to the hull... thus the hull is the bottom of your ballast tank.

My opinion.. and I cant imagine the cost to be outrageous...

Why not... build the hull... glass in the stringer system... then have plastic tanks that fit in those chambers?

I guess that is why I am not a boat builder... but I would imagine 4000lbs sitting on the last layer is a lot of stress...

So as long as the boat is not pounding through waves I am sure it is not an issue... but as soon as the hull leaves the surface of the water... is that not a lot of stress without any backing.

Also.. down the road... I think replacing a faulty plastic tank.. is easier than adressing a leaky glassed in chamber...

Who knows...

I just hope the kinks are worked out so we can see more of them...

They are building lots.. and shipping them out...

It will be nice when we look back and they have Epic reunion tours.. like Nautique and MC...
Old    bocephus            06-27-2007, 11:22 AM Reply   
What about water seapage into the hull?
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-27-2007, 11:55 AM Reply   
does anyone in atlanta have one
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-27-2007, 12:05 PM Reply   
bilge pump would take care of that
Old     (wakecda)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-27-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
Iam just saying that there are companies that have built up their reputation on their quality of the past and now their boats look really good but they are not built to the best of standards any more, building for quantity not quality, make more money, that the only goal, not advancing the sport. The production Epic are different then the black pre productions. The hulls are wrapped with a layer of glass to improve the gel coat. Not sure but I dont know of to many hulls that would hold up to freezing water, i think most would split. It called taking care of your boat, same going the engines, bad maintance, is aways trouble. My Epic runs great and is easy on the fuel.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-27-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
Old    bocephus            06-27-2007, 12:13 PM Reply   

quote:

By Kyle (hamkj) on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:08 pm:

Take care of what? Is the bilge pump in the ballast compartment?
Old     (wakecda)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-27-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
No the bilge is in the transom of the boat. But each ballast tank has it own pump too.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-27-2007, 12:43 PM Reply   
Kyle, I don't like the idea of water sitting next to the last layer either. Are they using polyester or epoxy resin? Polyester resin actually absorbs water over time and becomes brittle. Epoxy does not, but is more expensive.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-27-2007, 1:56 PM Reply   
I have no idea to the particulars of the matierials being used.

I would bet.. that over time.. you will see some type of ballast tank or liner integrated...

I just think from a peace of mind stand point... whether I am a builder or an owner... why not use a tank.. it will have less issues into the future.

They are a new company... playing with new ideas... They are lucky.. they have the ability to change as they go along...
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-27-2007, 10:00 PM Reply   
Informative news feature on Epic Boats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JvRCT5rBD0
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-28-2007, 12:30 AM Reply   
Wow...we sure have come a long way since that news report was aired almost two years ago now...my head looks BIG and what a horrible water day to shoot a news spot.

And the tanks and hull are built with both vinylester and epoxy. The methods that we use work very well and I certainly don't worry about the longevity of our tanks.
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-28-2007, 12:35 AM Reply   
Upload
This pic was taken with smoother water. It is the same boat that was in the clip...
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-28-2007, 1:13 AM Reply   
Chris... what does one have to do to be the OFFICIAL WAKEWORLD BOAT???

Why can't these a$$es do for Epic as they do for Malibu?

What is up with that BS....
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-28-2007, 7:15 AM Reply   
Been making many boats Chris? Any rough numbers?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-28-2007, 7:32 AM Reply   
A-dub.....I guess you just don't quit.lol

In the video they say how many boats they made/want to make and since that was 2 years ago....viola,there is your answer.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-28-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
You know what they say about wants.

You put want in one hand and the other....
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-28-2007, 1:51 PM Reply   
Thats right Big Ed.. I just don't stop. I'm really just curious, and the curiosity comes from some stories I've heard regarding Epic and customers (being vague, still in hopes it's false), and a simple roughly boats sold, made whatever will diminish the stories to being false. Now I'm finding it sad, sad because we all know there are people here who could get that info, and they obviously read these posts, but ignore questions they don't want/ can't answer. I find it ironic that they will use wakeworld to its fullest to promote themselves, and will even answer questions (such as the ballast tanks), but then disappear when a question like numbers sold is asked. And yeah, I can bake 200 cookies in a day, but don't ask how many I burnt. Good to hear that there are people out there with Epics and getting boats, cause thats the opposite of what I've heard......
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-28-2007, 3:38 PM Reply   
if they are giving them away sign me on for one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (wakecda)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-28-2007, 3:48 PM Reply   
You have heard that people cant get them. who? they are not trying hard enough. How many boats sold? All of them. Thats why there is a line.
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-28-2007, 10:33 PM Reply   
Hmmm...I don't know that I have ever shied away from questions... There are some things that I just don't talk about, for obvious reasons. I think I have always been open about what is going on with Epic. But I do want to point out that I have NEVER once started a thread about Epic on this board and I never will. So A-dab, please don't say that I have ever abused the boards for promotion because I have restrained myself when we have news that I want to share with the public to get feedback but haven't because I don't want to abuse the board or peoples' time with something they didn't ask for. Now when there is a post that needs my attention I chime in. I simply don't abuse these boards because I appreciate what WW has done for the sport and how Dave has maintained a great place for wake sports enthusiasts to gather and share their opinions and thoughts. This brings me to Kyle's last post... Dave has a great deal going with a great company. I'm sure WW is well compensated for the coverage that Malibu receives but more importantly Malibu was a supporter of WW well before Epic was. WW has done a lot for wake sports and I will never refer to WW as "these A$$ES"... I never expect an Epic to be the Official Boat of WW... It would be great to earn that place from Dave but I think more manufacturers should be supporting WW before any of the companies currently here petition for OBOWW honors(hint, hint Centurion/ MB/ Calabria/ Sanger/ Ski Supreme/ MasterCraft /ect.) The more support WW has the better Dave can maintain this community and hopefully branch out with event support and even better reviews and product information. In short, I love WW. I was a member long before I designed the 23v and started Epic. Dave has built a great place for everyone to share their opinions weather they be good/bad/or indifferent(Kyle sometimes expressing all those points in the same post...) Malibu is a great supporter of this place and Epic is trying to help too. I will be around and chime in when needed. I keep a loose eye on the boards but can only keep up on soo much with all the time consuming endeavours I am up to lately(getting married on July 14, designing new versions of the Epic and then there is the car company and the other "secret" projects). Please don't think I am ignoring any of your questions when I don't reply directly to stuff or stay out of the conversation all together. It seems that when I get too involved in posts they end quickly and I certainly don't want to stifle the conversations here on WW. Sorry to be long winded...I'll stop now...VIVA WW :-)
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-29-2007, 12:17 AM Reply   
So you type all that but still wont say how many boats have sold?
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       06-29-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
Ryan,

quote:

There are some things that I just don't talk about, for obvious reasons.

Get over it people.

-Steve
Old     (b_rad_b)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-29-2007, 9:57 AM Reply   
I don't understand why people think they deserve an answer simply because they ask a question.
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-29-2007, 9:59 AM Reply   
I personally am not in the market but I do think that it is a valid question to ask how many were made and sold. If I were looking at Epic I would not purchase without having a feel for this. I seem to recall that the other manufacturers publish these numbers.

With this said I think it would benefit Epic to publish this information via a press release and not on a forum. So I can fully respect Chris and not answering it on here. There is a lot of buzz about Epic and it could grow if strategic press releases were done to fan the interest. Lack of information makes people question a startup.

Good luck guys. I am always rooting for the startup to tackle the established players. It will make everyone better.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-29-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
other companies do not release that... from my understanding people are just pulling those numbers from boats registered each year.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       06-29-2007, 10:07 AM Reply   
Is there going to be an Epic Car??

I hope your new boat is a smaller version, can you confirm that?

Thanks for chiming in. It is good to see that there are boat companies out there listening to us.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-29-2007, 11:54 AM Reply   
I think most numbers published are from the NMMA. But I think you have to be part of the NMMA... If I remember when the Epic was first being introduced... they did not have to go through Coast Guard Capacitiy ratings.. etc.. so I assume probably not part of NMMA...

I have no idea what these associations or regulatory bodies roles and responsibilities are... so if someone wants to shed some light on that... might be helpful information.

Jon... Chris is part of Advanced Composites or something like that.. a 3 wheel ultra efficient car... with bodies baing built out of the same factory as the Epic.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-02-2007, 10:48 AM Reply   
No matter how you look at it... It doesnt really matter how many boats Epic is building. If they keep signing "pro riders" to their team... they will keep the factory workers employed just building
"team riders" boats.

Come on Umali... pull your head out of your a$$ and lets get these boats in the consumers hands. The people who are willing to part with their own money... not freebees from the company.

If people are going to buy boats based on who endorses them... or pros who are associated with them... then we will probably continue to see people ride behind the big names.

But I honestly think people who have money to spend on boats... do their homework and buy the boat that best suits their needs, they dont care who rides for the "team"

Is there not a better way to spend "Epic Dollars"?

Spend money to get the new model out. Spend money to perfect the manufacturing process. Spend money to streamline the manufacturing process and lower costs.

Don't sign more and more "team riders" and pass the cost on to the consumer!
Old     (wakecda)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
Kyle, the boats are ready, I ready for buyers. How much lower should they be, they are ready lower then any other boat in it's class.