Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-28-2006, 11:01 PM Reply   
Hey everyone, I know you all probably get tired of hearing "how good is this boat" questions, but I'm going to ask it anyway. There is a possibility I could get this boat, a 2000 Moomba Outback, 310HP w/ 187hrs, new factory interior, tower, racks, stereo, cover, single axle trailer. I can probably get it for 15k. How is this price? I realize I'm going to have to sac it out, but anything is an improvement over my 17" I/O w/ a sketchy engine. Anyone have any wakepics of an outback wake? Anyways, any help or advice is appreciated.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-28-2006, 11:02 PM Reply   
Here's a picture of it:

Upload
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-28-2006, 11:04 PM Reply   
for $15k sounds like a good deal, that's less than half the price of a new one and its got really low hours for being 6 years old. i had a outback last year and sacked out it was a nice wake. it will definitely be much better than you 17 footer.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-29-2006, 5:12 AM Reply   
Cody, I had a 02 Outback that I sold this last December with 150 hrs on it. I had NO problems with this boat at all. It does produce a much better ski wake than a boarding wake but as you said you will have to sac it down.

Sounds like a pretty good buy. Should have asked 2K more for mine, but I had already found a Supra for a really good price.

Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-29-2006, 7:03 AM Reply   
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. If its clean and runs great i say go for it.
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-29-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
That does sound good. Its less than what I would sell mine for and about what was offered to me as a trade in. There is a thread under Wakeboarding that asked for wake pics of an outback. Also under Boats and Accs there is the Moomba boat thread.

I have an '00 and throw a fat seat in back and about 400# sack next to the driver. I have about 160+ hrs on mine and no problems to speak of. Watch taking water over the front and sometiems the rear when weighted. At $15K I would do it again.

I will say there isn't as much storage as on larger vdrives which I owuld like to have.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-29-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
Cody,

This sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. I'm here in Knoxville too and last year I looked and looked until the end of June. I finally had to drive to SC to get the 2000 Mobius that I have now. If the boat is in good condition and has the options that you listed, I'd buy it and start enjoying it right away and leave looking to somebody else.

My two cents,
Jman
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-29-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   
Ok, situation just got a little trickier, lol. I found a '98 Mastercraft Maristar v-drive in great condition, 300 hours, corvette engine, for 22-23k.

I went and look at the Moomba today, it looks brand new, all around. I really liked it, but then I found this Maristar and really liked it to. How do they compare? I'm sure, as far as wake goes, it all leans to the Mastercraft, but what about the price? Here are some pictures I took of both. Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-29-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
They both look good. Just remember that the MC is 50% more. 7.5K buys a lot of gas. You are the only one that knows your financial situation. You don't want to be owning an MC and be unable to put gas in it. Don't forget about the difference in insurance as well.

Good luck,
Jman
Old    alanp            04-29-2006, 4:33 PM Reply   
cody if you can afford 22k id skip on both of those boats. hold out for a mc 205 ( this was the same hull mc used for the early early x stars) or a 1995 or later nautique super sport. this is the same hull as the SANs. both of these boats can be had for that price if your willing to wait a little to find one and willing to take a drive once one is found. i dont need to tell you that you wont be disappointed with either of those boats.
Old    alanp            04-29-2006, 4:45 PM Reply   
another option is '96 or later Sunsetter VLX. It is the same hull as the earlier Wakesetter VLXs
Old     (caffeineguy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-29-2006, 4:56 PM Reply   
OK, my question is why is there new factory interior? did something happen? The back seat looks awesome and much better than the original. If there is no major problem that caused them to replace the interior, than it's a great deal....
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-30-2006, 10:49 AM Reply   
PMH what? That moomba rear set looks like mine but dif colors. Mine is red where that is grey.

Cody figure out how much storage is worth to you as well. One may have more than the other or fit more ppl. But as said before 7 grand can buy a lot of gas-food-beverages-boards-stock-mutual funds-spydrs ect. I would/did go for the moomba and put the dif in my retirement account.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-30-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
If your droping 22 on the maristar you could pick this 99 sport up for 25K its in ky but thats not too far knoxville.
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/0/6/83222906.htm

(Message edited by mike_gilbert on April 30, 2006)
Old    moombarider132            04-30-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
if you go with the outback the best way ive found to weight down the boat as far as sacs go is 680 in rear, 400 in the rear locker, squeeze a 540 in the middle and placed against the ski pole as far back as possible,400 on the beside the motor on both sides, and two bricks(150 each) in the front seats. i put this much weight(2700 pounds i think) in my 05 and its the only way to get a decent boarding wake....other than that it has a great wake for skating
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-30-2006, 2:06 PM Reply   
I was looking for an early X-star for quite a while. I looked at quite a few Meri-stars, and the v205s. One thing they all (98-01) had in common, cracked out vinyl. I'd avoid MC in that vintage as I don't think they used a very high-quality vinyl. You can sink thousands into an interior.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-30-2006, 9:28 PM Reply   
I'm going out there again tomorrow to get some better pictures. My flash wasn't working when I took pictures of the drivers seat/bow, but I brightened them up and you can see a little better, everything looks top notch.

I've passed up on the Maristar--that extra 7k will be saved or put somewhere else.

Upload
Upload
Old    catfishh            05-01-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   
I just bought a 2001 Mobius and got an unbelievable deal- no new interior but only paid 14,000 and it has a brand new motor(only 70hrs). For that kind of price you really can't go wrong. The wake w/ ballast is just fine-you have to remember that one guys opinion is totally different from the next-go with your gut and make sure you save some money for "just in Case situations" so to add to everybody elses $.02

I say go with the outback..
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-01-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
I would stay away from Moombas prior to 2003. They had problems and questionable build. Thats why they have new interiors and new motors, etc. You can find better wakeboats for a little more cash anyway.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-02-2006, 6:09 AM Reply   
Paul,
Do you have personal experience with pre-2003 Moombas? Do you or did you own one? Several of my friends and I have Moombas and we haven't had these problems that you speak of. New motors are usually required in all makes of boats because of owner neglect, not to mention that Indmar sells the same motors to Moomba that they sell to other manufacturers.

My two cents,
Jman

PS: People often say, "You can get a "insert boat type of choice" for about the same or a little more" when someone asks about a used boat that they are considering. Having been in the used boat shopping market recently myself, I can tell you that I sure couldn't find these boats. I was patient, I looked for months, I was willing to drive hundreds of miles, I even considered a thousand miles on one boat. The point is this, what you can "get" is what is available while you are looking. Forget about these imaginary boats that others talk about pick one out that you can put your hands on.

(Message edited by Jmanolinsky on May 02, 2006)
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-02-2006, 7:28 AM Reply   
Never owned one, but my buddy had one. He had tons of problems with it. It is pretty well known that they were of questionable value in the early '00s. Moomba has made leaps and bounds in there manufacturing process over the last 4 years, and I would have them on my list now if I were looking for a new boat. I am glad you and your friends have good boats. I just think that if someone is considering buying one, they should be aware of the POTENTIAL for problems.
Old     (hyperlite7572)      Join Date: May 2005       05-02-2006, 8:04 AM Reply   
Keep in mind MC's holf their value better than any other ski boat on the market. That is why the Moomba is 7 k less..
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-02-2006, 10:21 AM Reply   
Steven,
Part of the reason the Moomba is 7K less is because it was less initially. This is what makes the Moomba line appealing to begin with. The lower price point allows those who couldn't otherwise purchase an inboard or v-drive into the market. I personally looked at the boats that were available in my price range and chose the Moomba for the extra room over the over the others.

Jman