Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (zaf88)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-19-2007, 1:26 PM Reply   
hi all im having problems getting the wake dialed in on my 2006 san220. at low speeds it no ballast it makes a small clean wake. but when i add ballast the wake crumbles and i have to speed up to 22 to make it ok. yesterday i had 5 ppeople on the boat and had them sit on one side to see what it would do to the wake and it still was crumbly. how are you guys weighting your boats? any ideas what would help me would be appreciated
Old     (hyperlite_boarder)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-19-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
how tha ballast set up on yours?
Old     (zaf88)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-19-2007, 1:45 PM Reply   
it has the starboard port and belly tanks totalling 950 lbs i think. when i put weight in the back the wake gets bigger but u really have to play with the speeds to make it clean. if i put weight in all the ballasts i just cant get the wake to stop crumbling
Old     (darv)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-19-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
From what I have been told, you need to pull a little faster with a 220. If you are going to weight the boat you will need to pull around 24-26 mph. That was actually the main reason I chose a 210 instead.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-19-2007, 1:57 PM Reply   
More weight = higher speeds or you are going to wash.
Old     (zaf88)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-19-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
thanks for the info i shouldve tried that but i didnt think it needed to go so high. so theres no way to get a bigger wake and stay slower then. does that hyrdo gate thingy do anything???
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-19-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
they're right!! ^ ^ ^

either speed it up or dump the weight...}
Old     (zaf88)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-19-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
thanks so much guys
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-19-2007, 3:15 PM Reply   
my observations after 50+ hrs on my 06 220:

The wake behaves better when you slam the boat AND when you run faster. Everyone in my crew is riding 24.5+ MPH on my boat compared to 22-25 MPH on other boats (X1, VLX, 22ve, ProV, old school SANTE 210). Line length is 83-85 feet.

I run 350 lbs of lead/steel in the nose, a 580 lb sack in the ski locker (probably gets full around 400 lbs), and 750s in each locker (probably get full around 600 lbs each). I also keep one 50lb lead brick next to the drivers seat for fine tuning. The more people I have, the more I dump out of the rear sacks. All of the sacks are plumbed into the stock system for easy fill/dump. The boat actually handles like a dream with that much weight in it...

Once you get the boat to sit down in the water, it does balance easier, but it is still a finicky boat when considering side to side weight. Also, you may get the tiniest little curl, but when you cut into it, it cleans up and is not an issue.

All of the above considered, the wake is amazing with just 2k of extra weight in it. It has a signature nautique steepness without an old school 210 trough. The most common responses are "I am not used to being in the air that long" and "i keep over rotating everything." The wake combined with the interior (dont knock it until you've spent 8 hrs with 8 people aboard one) and I cannot think of a better boat one the water right now. Only caveat is the side to side sensitivity, but it is outweighed by all of plusses...

Now I am just waiting on my 14.25 pitch prop and then we'll see what it does with some real weight in it!
Old     (zaf88)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-19-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
im new to all this. tdc u put all that weight on top of the factory ballast? so your putting those sacs in the rear two compartments?

anyway i dont know why people knock the boats interior, its why i bought the boat and every person that gets in loves it! i couldnt be happier with the boat, just need to get the wake dialed in and thanks to ur collective help i guess its solved.
Old     (zaf88)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-19-2007, 4:36 PM Reply   
also tdc what is the 14.25 prop supposed to do? whats on the boat stock?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-19-2007, 5:02 PM Reply   
Mike, I wouldn't worry about putting any additional weight in it if you(people who are riding) are just starting out. That includes factory ballast. Form and fundamentals are going to do much more than wake at this point.

Weight is just going to burn more gas and have people riding faster than you/they are comfortable riding.

When you(whoever is riding) starts feeling like the boat is going to slow, then you have to start going faster, makes the wake smaller, add weight to make wake bigger, rinse and repeat......develop yourself a hefty gas habit....welcome to the wonderful world of wakeboat ownership....

Just one mans opinion.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-19-2007, 6:52 PM Reply   
i agree with deuce...stock or no ballast in this boat at a reasonable speed (20 - 23 mph) is perfect for developing your skills. half the time i dont run all of the extra weight when i am working on new stuff.

the lower pitch prop allows the boat to have better holeshot when we are loaded to the gills...
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-19-2007, 9:28 PM Reply   
I have to ride 25mph behind a loaded 220. Feels fast but the wake is so clean there.
Old     (zaf88)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-20-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
is crashing at 25 any different than crashing at 21??
Old     (tidalwake0504)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-20-2007, 10:42 AM Reply   
Do you have the hydrogate set at 3 ? That will significantly effect the wake.
Old     (zaf88)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-20-2007, 5:27 PM Reply   
i dont really know what the hell that thing does so i only play with it if teh wake is messed up. so sometimes its at 1 sometimes at 3
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-21-2007, 8:26 AM Reply   
crashing at 25 doesnt feel any different to me than crashing at 21 or 27 mph... to see what your hydrogate does, set it on 3 and see how fast it comes out of the hole as opposed to when it is set on 1. then, when you are at wakeboarding speed, see what the bow does when you move it from 3 to 1. i use 3 to get out of the hole and pull riders with it set between 1 and 2...