Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-24-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
Does water depth have any effect on wake size shape??
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-24-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
yep, a huge effect...more on size than shape, but it will take away a little lip
Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-24-2006, 9:32 AM Reply   
How does it effect the wake? Deep verse shallow.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-24-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
shallow=wake smaller
deeper = wake larger.

Bigger boats need deeper water for their wakes to reach their potnetial.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-24-2006, 9:58 AM Reply   
yea the only affect is that its not there! need at least 8-10 ft of water
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-24-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
THe diffrence was very evident at the Central INT event this weekend, The Private late it was at is only about 5' deep and the wake (witch is usually very steep and rampy) was lacking its luster. It remained similar in shape and hardness but just a miniture version. 10' deep is the starting point for getting your true wake size. Everything I have read says 15' is optimal.
Old     (tws_andrew)      Join Date: May 2004       07-24-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
I was talking to an MC rep and he said for the big boats 16ft and deaper is best. I ride in a spot that goes to 4.5ft and the wake is tiny.
Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-24-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
cool, the lake I boat on ranges between 70 and 200 feet. I was just wondering if the deep water screwed up the wake at all.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-25-2006, 12:50 AM Reply   
you need water to displace...
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-25-2006, 11:26 AM Reply   
If the water is at least twice as deep as the wake is tall then the depth isn't going to make any signifcant difference.

Consider going to the beach. Out in the ocean a "wave" is a gentle swell. Once the swell reaches the beach, where the water depth will no longer support the swell then things change.

If you are in 70 feet of water then I can assure you that the depth is not an issue.

If you are attempting to ride in 3 feet of water then it will.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-25-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
If you're surfing, you NEED to have a min of 6-8 feet under the boat to get displacement of water to form up the wake. I was surfing in 5 ft and you could really tell the wake wan't setting up right or as big.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-25-2006, 3:06 PM Reply   
The lake that I ride in averages about 5-6 feet deep. There is a section of lake that is about 10 feet deep, and the wake is only about 3-4 inches taller there than in the shallow side. The shape of the wake stays the same, it may shrink a little, but it also hardens up A LOT. Even in the shallow side, its still knee to mid-thigh in height.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-25-2006, 4:47 PM Reply   
Maybe it's just on certain types of boats or wakes, but depth makes a HUGE difference on our VLX. Anything under 10-12 ft. deep and the wake shrinks noticably. At one of the lakes I ride at, one side of the run is 30+ feet, the other is 4-6. You can literally see the wake morphing as the depth finder changes. I drive a mean double-up and, on the deep side, I can get a bone-jarring "THUD, THUD, THUD" as we cross the rollers. On the shallow end, we're lucky to get a "pat, pat, pat."