Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-26-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
http://www.chicago-scene.com/cs-parties/boatparty.htm
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-26-2010, 11:44 AM Reply   
I've always wanted to go do this. The size of my boat scares me on the big pond. Not so sure it'd be a great idea, especially with the effing MEGA yachts that show up for that party. Anybody here ever brought a wake boat there?

on a side note, the Party on Petite (Chain o lakes) was this past weekend. Good times!! Third year in a row that we had front row seats to a Lezbo love triangle. It was decent entertainment. Got there Friday night (stayed on buddy's houseboat) and got home Sunday morning. This party on Lake MI seems to draw a MUCH fitter crowd.

Maybe I can talk my neighbor into going with his bigger boat.....
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-26-2010, 12:01 PM Reply   
once you are in the play pen you are fine as it is all no wake and everyone is just anchored. and even getting out there isnt bad I have seen much smaller boats.
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-26-2010, 1:00 PM Reply   
Where do you launch to be close. Lake MI can go from perfectly calm to Deadliest Catch in a blink of an eye--that scares me.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-26-2010, 1:09 PM Reply   
That looks DOOOOOPEEE
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-26-2010, 1:19 PM Reply   
Closest launch sites are Diversey Harbor or Burnham Harbor its like 30 or 40 bucks for the day. They fill up fast.

The playpen is totally enclosed by breakwalls so it's not too bad of a place to anchor. The ride down can be bad but the buildings block most of the westerly winds. I have had my wakeboats out there on plenty occassions. You just have to know how to drive. Without a doubt you will take some hits, but they will be minimal if you now how to drive.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-26-2010, 7:57 PM Reply   
If CPD will be boarding and inspecting every boat, you better be sure you'll pass.

Do you have all the Coast Guard required safety equipment for coastal waters? The Great Lakes are coastal waters, although some of the rules may be slightly relaxed within the breakwater. Operating in coastal waters means special safety equipment is required, like marine flares that have not reached their expiration date. Make sure your battery is secure and that your fire extinguisher is fully charged as these will be checked for sure. They will also probably ask to check your blower and bilge pump, too. If it is dusk, make sure your lights are on properly. If you anchored at a party like this without proper anchorage lighting you will get a hefty ticket.

Keep an eye on the weather. Even within the breakwater, the lake can go from calm to rough surprisingly fast. Always think ahead about where you'd go if the lake got instantly rough. Our boats are designed for inland lake use. Lake Michigan can take any of our boats down easily. When I'm on Lake Michigan within a breakwater, I'm always within minutes of the ramp. There have been times when I've had to make the dash back to shore.

Last edited by lakeski; 07-26-2010 at 8:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-26-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
I forgot the spark arrester on your engine. They will check this, as well. I'm sure there is more....
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-27-2010, 7:20 AM Reply   
^^^ not saying it won't happen and agree better safe then sorry but I have never been on a boat that has been boarded. there are much smaller boats that wake boats out there. two years ago we took a 20 ft cobalt from diversey and it was choppy as heck, but once you got in the pen it was smooth
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-27-2010, 4:31 PM Reply   
From the link at the top of the thread:

"The Chicago Police plan to board every boat so please make sure you are not breaking any laws."
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-27-2010, 8:24 PM Reply   
^^ of course they would say that