Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-08-2012, 10:24 AM Reply   
So I've researched plenty about gel coat sanding polishing etc... And am very confident but the one thing no threads or websites mention are decals? Obviously you wouldn't sand them but what about the rubbing compound and polish I would thing it could damage them any body have first hand experience on what to do about them? Also what if I were just to do sections and not the entire hull would it blend? For example I sand and compound out trouble areas then hit the entire hill with polish and wax will it blend and of course this is where decals also come in to question again ! Thanks for any info and if you could be detailed it would be awesome !
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-08-2012, 1:21 PM Reply   
I see 52 or so views and no replies which leads me to believe a lot of us are in the same " boat" but are nervous about ****ing it up gahaha cmOn surly some one has done this project!
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-08-2012, 2:27 PM Reply   
I did mine last year so I could add new graphics. It's enough of a change that I ended up doing most of the boat with compounds and polishes. If you can tape off the graphics they will be OK. I taped off some pinstripes that are no longer available and then polished over them with the last round of polish. If you could keep it to one side or maybe just do one color then you might not have to do it all, but I think once you see the results you'll change your mind.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-08-2012, 2:45 PM Reply   
Blue tape and razor knife out line or get the quarter inch tape auto guys use . It made a big difference huh?
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-10-2012, 8:41 AM Reply   
Nobody else have info
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-10-2012, 10:05 AM Reply   
Really depends on how detailed you need, the standard size blue tape worked for me. I think if you do have to do some trimming with a razor knife that wide tape may work better than thin.
Old    9Drozd            04-10-2012, 11:48 AM Reply   
As far as work, it just depends on how heavily oxidized it is. If its really bad, wetsand and buff. Most of the time you can clean up oxidation with just a good compound and buffer. The decals you can buff over but go easy on it because its real easy to burn through. On the compound and buffer, put the pedal to the metal and burn the compound in and you should be fine on the gel coat. We buff and wax 30 to 40 boats a year and ive only had to wetsand one boat because the oxidation was so bad. Now once you buff it, stay on top of the wax jobs and it shouldn't ever get like that again. Good luck and have fun.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-10-2012, 9:52 PM Reply   
Oh ya no boats in great shape a few lil scratches I just bought it so you know I wanted see how nice I could get already did the interior came putt damn near brand new