Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-28-2011, 11:34 AM Reply   
Maybe you should.

I haven't driven mommas whip since June.
Sunday I loaded some friends into her Toyota Sienna super soccer sled for an airport run.
Get up on the highway and .. Hmmmm this thing pulls to the right pretty bad. OK mental note.. keep driving.

While maneuvering around the departing flights maze i keep feeling the brake pedal soften. Hmmmm. I just did brakes all around in June and they worked fantastic!?? OK mental note #2. Keep driving.

Pull into a Haji-mart for a water and when I turn hard over the engine stutters, pedal goes hard and the car aint a-stopping! Yikes! get out and check everything. All looks OK, drive home.

I get home, grab the floor jack and lift her up. As I crawl under I see a long yellow streak down the right side frame member 12" inside the wheel line. "Honey, did you run over a curb?" "I think I bumped one dropping off the kids last week" she says. (Bump? LOL how about Launched!?)

So there is my pulling issue, still no clue to the brakes yet. I keep digging and resisting the obvious that the booster is leaking. No love. It's shot. First ever in all the years and all the cars I have ever stuck my head under, the booster is shot. Now it is so bad the car is un-drive able and she has taken over my truck. (better darn well not door ding it!) Not all bad though, pretty girls and four wheel drives just go together.
Toyota wants $890 for a new one parts only. Re-builts are $250 but not available? Finally found one at a wreckers across the state that is being shipped.

So just by luck my wife's car had a major brake failure while I was driving it. Alone.

My three kids are in this thing every day.
2 things:

I think I'll drive her car a little more often from now on and my faith has been bolstered.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-28-2011, 12:26 PM Reply   
The curb thing had me laughing.... Good to hear you found the issues and took care of them before some type of disaster....

To answer the question, yes, I drive her car often.....she rarely(few times a year), drives my truck.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-28-2011, 1:13 PM Reply   
"pulled into a Haji-Mart for a water"

haha nicely done, sir!
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-28-2011, 1:36 PM Reply   
yep... been there. I traded in our Audi S4, my wife was killing that car. Pained me every time I drove it.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-28-2011, 1:50 PM Reply   
I try to drive my fiance's car once a month for the exact reasons you've stated.... she is next to worthless with maintenance.... so that day/weekend I have her car is usually when everything gets done.

... I am scared ****less for my car while she has it though.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-28-2011, 1:58 PM Reply   
Woman's car= rolling purse.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-28-2011, 2:26 PM Reply   
Funny - I drive mine wife's about every 2-3 weeks. she is allowed to drive my truck (which she hates), but not my 300 SRT8. I let her drive it to the store once this summer and she peeled out about 100' and than called me on the Bluetooth and blamed me that it had too much power.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-28-2011, 2:29 PM Reply   
lol@ She's allowed.
Do you allow her to have friends as well?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-28-2011, 3:28 PM Reply   
Good call. I hate driving her car though. Always dirty. **** every everywhere. Drives me crazy. I suppose I should have a look though.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-28-2011, 3:38 PM Reply   
I take my wife's are quite a lot. We don't really have specific vehicles because anytime I have to drive quite a bit in day on take the car as it's better on gas than the truck. I do know what you mean though. My wife hates it everytime I wash the car because I always find new marks and scratches on it. Doesn't help that it's a black car. I have 18's on 35's so when she first started driving the car I had to tell her she couldn't just 4x4 this thing where ever she wants. That means slow over speed bumps and swerve around pot holes and such. She has curbed them a couple times but I suppose I have done it too so I can't really complain. She says from here on it she wants rims on every vehicle. Bless her little heart because now she can't get mad when I do!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-28-2011, 5:48 PM Reply   
Reminds me of a story. 'Bout a year and a half ago, my wife drove about 4ish miles(from our garage) on a totally flat tire. Half of that was on the freeway, before the tire exploded and she called to tell me that she had a blowout and if I'd come change the tire. Assume it took enough of a beating that it finally disintegrated and she finally noticed when she was driving on the aluminum wheel.....

So you wonder, how do I know that the tire was flat when she left the garage and it wasn't just a blowout.... There were black tire marks from the wheel pressing on the tire, from her backing out of the garage and out the driveway..... HOW DOES SOMEONE NOT KNOW ONE OF THEIR TIRES WAS COMPLETLY FLAT????????? I was actually impressed the tire lasted 4ish miles....
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       11-28-2011, 6:06 PM Reply   
Thank god my GF just bought a brand new GMC Acadia. She moved up from a Nissan Altima. However she has hit a parked car and a pole with the Acadia. She was ready to get rid of it because it was "to big". She was able to convince her apt complex to give her a bigger parking spot and now she loves it..........
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-29-2011, 7:36 PM Reply   
ahhhh women, can't live with um'.... can't murder um.

Quote:
Woman's car= rolling purse.
Amen. I pay for my fiance to get her's detailed twice a year, it is filthy within a week. She has two closets that are huge and somehow still has more clothes in her car than I do total....
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-29-2011, 8:25 PM Reply   
Compared to some of these stories, my wife is a professional driver
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-30-2011, 4:11 AM Reply   
My wifes car is a 05 Corvette.Who would want to drive that thing?I'll just drive my pickup truck.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-30-2011, 10:42 AM Reply   
My wife is a badass.... We just traded cars and after 4 years and 50k of her driving the Audi the only damage to the whole car was a spot where her high heal went through the carpet getting in/out. No scratches on any of the wheels. No scratches on the bumpers or air dams. No door dings.

Since we're now down to two cars we trade a lot. It works out OK. I clean and maintain the cars and neither of us gets tired of driving one or the other.

I'm super anal about my cars and my wife hasn't let me down yet.... In the big picture it's not that big of a deal. They'll make more cars, but it's nice that she cares enough about my concerns to not trash our cars. One more reason I married her.