Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-06-2009, 7:52 PM Reply   
I thought keeping loose on a fall was best until I got whiplash and a concussion. So I tried the "duck and cover" to protect my brain and broke two ribs. Help me crash properly before I kill myself!
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-06-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
Well. your "handle" on here certainly doesnt help out your situation. What are you trying that gets you with these injuries? Is your riding up to that level as far as trying something new and advanced or are you just hucking it and not expecting the worst?
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-06-2009, 8:30 PM Reply   
HA! Both injuries happened when I got some unexpected rotation on big heelside jumps into the flats and couldn't pull it together in time to land properly. So no, not hucking new tricks. I need to get video so I can figure out where the rotation is coming from, but I figured if there was a good way to crash that might come in handy in the meantime.

(Message edited by brainrinse on July 06, 2009)
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-06-2009, 8:38 PM Reply   
Just stay balanced and in good positions/posture. If you are falling back or forward that is PAIN time.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-06-2009, 8:43 PM Reply   
Right, I get that. But certainly you can't always stay balanced. At some point you'll get pulled off axis or get bucked off the wake weird. You can't land every jump every time. So if you know you're not gonna land it, then what?
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-06-2009, 8:46 PM Reply   
haha Im with you man, Im a terrible bailer. I decided this year if I was gonna eat it I would tuck into a ball and it seemed like nothing bad could happen. Well the first time I really put that theory to use was my first raley attempt with a board on and I ended up crunching my knee...I think the cannonball is fool proof as long as you dont land on your board with your butt hanging behind it. Thats what I did and since my knees were already bent all the way and the board stopped against the water and my weight came down hard my knees just crunched under the pressure and put me out about 3 weeks. But if your upside down or something Id recommend it.
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-06-2009, 9:20 PM Reply   
If at all possible try to crash with your butt hitting the water at the same time as/or right after your board touches the water, but don't try to crouch and have your but hit the board, just fall relaxed. Also, it is very important to avoid digging your nose or front edge of your board in the water
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-06-2009, 9:26 PM Reply   
just grab your nuts and hope it doesnt hurt
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-06-2009, 11:03 PM Reply   
on tricks where I get off-axis (especially spins) and I know I'm not going to make it, I always throw a shoulder around, and land on my back. It's helped me.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-07-2009, 2:52 AM Reply   
I'm a big duck and cover fan-when there's time, sorry about the ribs.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-07-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
The shoulder tuck and turn is what our crew uses when the inevitable but unexpected happens.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-07-2009, 12:24 PM Reply   
The shoulder tuck and turn makes sense to me. I guess I'll give that a shot next. Thanks for the advice!

Although I can't help but wonder what injury that method will cause me... eardrum maybe? :-)
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-07-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
i got off balance on just a heelside jump and did like half a back roll. the pic is hilarious. but i just dove into the water. i heard that it looked really painful. but i felt fine. wasnt sore from it at all. but other then that. i try and land on my side. its not very painful. 9 out of 10 times i get back up and go again
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-07-2009, 5:23 PM Reply   
I am all reflex and just get my hands out in front of me, shut my eyes, and hope it doesnt hurt that much.
David, I always get a kick out of seeing dive-bails, because I imagine what happens when the board hits the water flat.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-07-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
ben, i saw it on video today. and it looked so funny. and it really doesnt make a bid effect with the board hitting the water. i know what you mean though. and i dont even come out a little of my bindings. haha
Old    murrayair            07-07-2009, 10:17 PM Reply   
I try to keep a fairly open/loose body position when I crash, but I always tuck my head forward to try to avoid whiplash. Ideally, my vest will take most of the impact and my head won't be knocked around too much. Doesn't always work, but I have yet to be hurt too badly.
Old     (andrewilso)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-08-2009, 2:54 AM Reply   
just remember if you take off all funky expect to land as you take off, take off with your body in the right position and you will land sweet every time ..... well most of them
Old     (andrewilso)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-08-2009, 2:58 AM Reply   
If all else fails try to break the surface with your arms first
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-08-2009, 5:41 AM Reply   
Think landing....fight for the landing if you have to. In most cases you are better off with a sketchy landing gone bad than hitting the eject button too early.
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-08-2009, 8:20 AM Reply   
When i know i am screwed i tend to lay my body out (not ball up ever... that is a good way to get a knee in the face). I do not relax though. I tense my stomach and front neck muscles to prevent getting twisted in a wierd way. Aside from some really sore stomach and neck muscles I have never hurt myself falling like that. That said, I do not think a falling method is something easily taught. My method developed from years of falling and is more of a reflex than anything.