Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 07, 2006

Old    braike            02-05-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
My buddies and I have access to a dock on the delaware. We are all college football players and we spent last summer sitting on the dock after some lackluster pulls behind my dad's beat-to-hell waverunner. We are going to put money together and get some kind of boat. Here are my restrictions (and thus where i ask for you help): 1)The part of the river we're on is pretty low, so an outboard is usually better. 2) An old, yet functional boat will be better because it will end up looking much worse when we're done with it. 3) I need to be able to put a tower/pylon on it. and 4) most importantly - I bartend, my one friend works in retail and we have almost NO money, so we need to set a legitimate goal. I need some advice (other than "you're screwed"). Thanks a lot.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-05-2006, 12:50 PM Reply   
Brian, have you guys thought of posting on find a third/be a third section. You might find some people in your area with a boat then all you have to do is chip in for gas, beer, whatever. Just a thought.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-05-2006, 1:00 PM Reply   
Brian,

I think I remember you, do you ride in Titusville, NJ? That is some shallow water there at times.
Some of us ride below Trenton, check out the New Jersey riders 2006 thread. We're out there just about every weekend.
If you're looking for an outboard, you should have no problem finding something, although an inboard would be a better choice for riding.
(shallow water is not good for outboards, either)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-05-2006, 1:19 PM Reply   
What's the draft on an I/O or outboard? I think the draft on most inboards is about two feet, more for an I/O or outboard, right? Draft is depth, below the waterline, of the lowest part of the boat, while the boat is at rest. That last part is very important, manufactures list the draft when the boat is at rest.

The spec sheet on a new SeaRay 195 sport is 34 inches with the outdrive down and 17 with the outdrive up. http://www.searay.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/company13008/53997_f.pdf

The draft on a new SeaRay 185 sport outboard is 30 with the drive in the water and 12 with the engine up. http://www.searay.com/boat_graphics/electronic_brochure/company13008/53995_f.pdf

The draft on a Malibu VLX is 24 inches. http://www.malibuboats.com/w21xti.aspx
The draft on the Mighty Centurion Lighting (my boat) is 27 inches.

Both outboard and I/Os will have bow rise, when that happens the bow goes up – of course, but the transom (and outdrive) goes down, deeper than the at-rest-draft. When you’re on plane at fast speeds your draft will be much less than at rest. However, at wakeboarding speeds, you’re not quite on plane, and if you have a lot of ballast you might be deeper still.

An inboard does not have as much bow rise and since the prop is further forward and since the prop pushes the boat up and out of the water, does not go deeper in to the water when starting. Your draft while wakeboarding will be less on an inboard.

Now I know you're not looking at new boats, I just used these as a point of reference. I don't think an outboard is going to help you with shallow water. If you are really running in two feet of water, you should consider sticking with a jet type boat and try wakeskating. Bigger wakes need deeper water, I think 5 feet is a minimum, 10 feet or more depth is much better.
Old    durangopprboy            02-05-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
Brian, if you are in that shallow of water, find deeper water, with that said.
You can find an out board boat pretty cheap, a lot cheaper than a stern drive or inboard. The key is for you and your buddies to always keep an eye out. If you see a old boat in someone's back yard, knock on the front door. You just want to make sure you get at least 75HP. I also see a lot of boats on ebay in the NE for cheap(-1500.). Just make sure the motor and boat are sound.
As far as a pylon you can build your own for under $100.00(I did). There are lots of postings on differant sites on how to DIY a pylon.
Good luck, Go out and have fun.

Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-06-2006, 7:13 PM Reply   
I've got your boat. I have this little gem for sale and it's right in southern New Jersey.
WakeBoardFiestaPleasureCruiser
It doesn't come with a trailer, so you'd have to line-up your own. Interested? Email me.
Old     (bizzuck)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-06-2006, 8:24 PM Reply   
i think that because you are a college football player that someone will give you a boat.
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-06-2006, 8:37 PM Reply   
Keep an eye out, youll get a deal on something. I got my first boat on ebay for $500, interior was ruined but i replaced that. The motor runs fine and we used it all last season. The 115 hp is still going, i suggest you get a hydrafoil if you get an outboard though, it helps the boat plane and hold speed 10X better. Heres what mine looks like now, only cost me maybe 1000 bucks but i doubt it.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=portfolio&portfolio_id=5414

(Message edited by jpshaff01 on February 06, 2006)