Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old    xtremrider            09-21-2005, 9:09 AM Reply   
Have any of the boat manufacturers looked into anything lake a flow through trim plat in the center of the boat. It seems like it would solve the bow rise problem, also you would be able to adjust the wake size in seconds. Could potentially get the effects of a couple thousand pounds of ballast with the back "wedge" hydrofoil and the center boat trim plates. Just in case i am not explaning well i drew a little picture.

Maybe some of you engeneers can give me some feedback on why it may, or may not work.

I think it would be nice not to take up so much storage room for ballast.
Old    xtremrider            09-21-2005, 9:10 AM Reply   
wow, I should read before i post, sorry for all the typos.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-21-2005, 9:45 AM Reply   
There are lots of alternatives, Malibu has the wedge similar to what you describe on the back and Tige has an inverted V hull configuration designed to make a wake, just to name a couple.

Ballast is just the most common approach.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-21-2005, 10:04 AM Reply   
I'd see the first $100K wake boat if that kinda technology was used.
Old    xtremrider            09-21-2005, 10:13 AM Reply   
It would only be 100k if the boat companies charged it, i was kinda going through it and i dont think they would need to charge more than 65k with a decent configuration. The one problem i saw while thinking about it thins morning is it would be difficult to put on a trailer, i still got to try to figure that out.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-21-2005, 10:15 AM Reply   
I have been wondeing about the same design for some time & why it has not been used. Older F-1 cars used to air flow over the car to suck the cars to the track, I was wondering why they could not use the same theroy for the bottom of the boat, Just like Xriders post.

BTW: Jeff $100K wake boats all ready exist.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-21-2005, 10:29 AM Reply   
100k=x80

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-21-2005, 11:00 AM Reply   
I have fully functional designs that are based upon hydrofoil technology. It is simply too expensive to produce and will result in increased maintenance to make it all work. Weeds and debris strikes cause problems. Additionally, the boat can be made to be quite unstable and dangerous to navigate under some scenarios. The result was the need to have a limiting system. When that became too complex without a gyroscope, acellerometer, and small computer (similar to the PP chip), it became unworkable from a cost and complexity perspective. Boat mfgs were not too interested in investing in a new hull configuration that would accomodate the hardware. I share your vision and spent a lot of design and development time on this. Unfortuantely, it is a bust given today's market conditions.

From a general perspective, to produce a wake you need displacement and movement. There are limits to the curves as to how a hull will interact with the water. You cannot, however, produce a large wake without displacing the amount of water weight to produce the desired wake size. The Tige convex hull is simply a semi-displacement hull design similar to that of a dory. Malibu's foil is very basic, but does work for what it was designed to do. You will note that they still use weight ballast.

Commercial vessels and larger yachts do use stabilizers that are computer controled wings under the water to eliminate the rolls that large displacement hulls take while traveling through the water. That technology was was the basis for what I was trying to do. Due to the very limted draft and high speeds of the boat, the technology cannot be retrofitted.

Good thinking. Keep at it. You may be successful where I was not.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-21-2005, 2:07 PM Reply   
grant, have you read about Epic boats? From reading I guess that hull is designed to naturally suck down into the water... I would like to see how that boat handles, holds speed, gas consumption and wakesize/shape
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-21-2005, 2:13 PM Reply   
To Quote Sam Jackson from Pulp Fiction: "Check out the big brain on Karl" LOL. Karl thats cool you sound like you have worked on this Idea before, I was wondering why no one had come out with it. You explanation makes sence. Now that you have pulled back the curtan and wreked it ofr me. I will have to think of some more great ideas that would change the boating industry but will never put to use "better known as talking smack" LOL.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-21-2005, 2:25 PM Reply   
Some manufacturers already have something incorporated into their hulls to make them have a better wake. With Skiers Choice, it is called a stepped pocket (sort of like a reverse hook). It is basically where the back of the boat starts to slope up. This allows the water to go up and back rather than just straight back. Hydrodynamics says when water is forced up a surface, the surface tends to be "sucked" down into the water more. This is also how the hydraulic wakeplate is able to be incorporated into their design. The wakeplate compensates for the stepped pocket when down, giving better holeshot and a flat ski wake. For more info check out the 2005 Supra brochure in the back.

Sorry to sound like a salesman by the way.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-21-2005, 2:30 PM Reply   
Here are a couple of pictures of a 24SSV to illustrate what I am saying.

Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-21-2005, 8:00 PM Reply   
In other words, the stepped hull is basically utilizing the same principle as the Tige convex hull. (Tige has no hook, and is, in fact, convex).
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-22-2005, 3:51 PM Reply   
Wow how times have changed that same stepped Supra hull was the reason they had such a GREAT slalom wake