Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (hammerhead)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-11-2009, 12:54 AM Reply   
Hey duders, just wondering where you ride and where your from (AL)? I've heard of a few contest on the way, can't wait to meet all you guys. Here are two site i found while searching for Alabama wakeboarders.

http://www.wakefactory.net/
http://alwake.com/
Old    wakejjboard12            04-11-2009, 1:31 AM Reply   
Our site's in the works still but check it out! We're in south al.

www.ganttlakemulisha.com
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-11-2009, 8:02 AM Reply   
Cullman - Smith Lake
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-11-2009, 2:36 PM Reply   
Cull - Smith Lake, Lake George
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-12-2009, 8:01 AM Reply   
Lake Martin

Come out to Guntersville for S2S and the winch jam and introduce yourself. Guaranteed to be an absolutely dope time.

-Luker
ALWake.com
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-13-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
Will Smith lives in Birmingham most of the time. He's in the keys for a while right now though.
Old     (opossum)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-13-2009, 9:13 AM Reply   
Smith Lake - Winston County Side

Got a wedding in Auburndale, FL the weekend of S2S but hope i can stop in at the OWC while im down there.
Old     (opossum)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-13-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
Luker, alwake is looking good and I was happy to see an Auburn Wake Team starting up. A buddy and I tried the ski club a few years back and were disappointed to say the least. Has the auburn team competed yet or just getting started?
Old     (rob_corum)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-13-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
I'll run you down the historic timeline of the "Auburn Wakeboard Club"

Fall term 2004: My friend and I meet with the Student President (another friend), who helped us begin the process they call becoming a club. We acquired all the material needed to become an official school affiliated club. And I began to write all the rules and regulations of the club.... meanwhile....

Since wakeboarding needs to be performed off campus and with motors involved we needed to get approved by the Risk Management and Student Activities Departments. I and some other friends had numerous meetings with these people, whom never did realize why we needed to not be affiliated with the Ski Team. I even told them that we were doing two different sports and that it would be better for the ski team too if we weren't together. I changed the insurance policy on my boat to meet what the Risk Management people wanted and finished my book on all the rules and regulations of the club. We also brought in a boat for the little club day thing they have on the concourse, and had over 130 people that wanted to join the club. However, just before we were about to give our presentation to the Student Organizations board, the Risk Management and the Student Activities people shut us down. They still couldn’t get it that we weren’t going around buoys.

So, I did a little more research and found out that we could still use the name “Auburn Wakeboard Club” just not Auburn University Wakeboard Club, and that all the collegiate contests don’t require the riders to be “School Affiliated”; they just have to go to school there.

We still ran the club as we were originally going to, of course without rules or dues. I started taking a different group out to the lake almost every day. People were having a blast. We competed in the WWA Collegiate Nationals that year in Panama City Beach and finished 4th out of about 12 schools total. It was rad and we were all pumped. We all meet a bunch of cool ass people that we wouldn’t have and it made all of our grades plummet. The End

Now Luker and some other dudes carry the torch.}
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-13-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
"It was rad and we were all pumped. We all met a bunch of cool ass people that we wouldn’t have and it made all of our grades plummet. The End"
LOL...Classic!!!

FYI, for those who don't know... Rob Corum is essentially the "Godfather" of the Alabama wake scene and one of the steeziest riders out there. Hopefully Rob, Matt (Sims), Phil (Aslinger) and all the other rippers will make it out to S2S and put on a show.

As for AWT (Auburn Wake Team), since the demise of the actual AU Wakeboard club from back in Rob's day, it has become more of an Idea than a tangible reality. We live in Auburn, we shred, therefore... we are.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-13-2009, 3:25 PM Reply   
Bayou Sarah...... (around Mobile)
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       04-13-2009, 3:46 PM Reply   
Tyler, go to http://www.wakefactory.net/forum/index.php

You will find better, more up-to-date info about what we at Wakefactory.net are doing.

While I'm on the S2S subject, here is a link for the host hotel this year. The rooms we have set aside all face the water, have a kitchenette with a microwave and mini-fridge, and are available with either 2 double beds, or 1 king. $85 a night and make sure you mention this is for the Spring 2 Summer event June 5-7. Here is the phone # 256-582-2220 and the link to the hotel:

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/gunal

(Message edited by core-rider on April 13, 2009)
Old     (trewblu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-13-2009, 4:47 PM Reply   
jasper-Smith Lake
Old     (littewend)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-13-2009, 7:50 PM Reply   
Only my second season, but Hobb's Island Chanel/Tennessee river, and hopefully Guntersville and Smith Lake this summer if our truck doesn't die haulin our boat!
Old    wakejjboard12            04-13-2009, 8:09 PM Reply   
Yeah I was tricked into going to the Auburn Ski team meeting. They claimed to have a wake team. Wanted us to pay like $500 to ride in trick skiing contests. We tried to make them understand we could compete in wake tournaments but they acted like we were crazy for even asking. LAME.
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-13-2009, 9:44 PM Reply   
Huntsville, so TN river if i can find local friends with a boat or Tim's Ford in Tullahoma, TN for my gf's lakehouse/boat.

Wendy hook up a pull sometime!! :-)
Old     (opossum)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-14-2009, 5:44 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info on AWT. Sounds like a good time. I just graduated last year 04-08 and have fully entered the real world, sucks to know yall where there at the same time and our crews never crossed paths.

And yeah as for the auburn ski team, um yeah it was um, different.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       04-14-2009, 5:59 AM Reply   
Wendy & looser, if your on TN River and riding come down river towards Triana. You will usually find me and my crew riding in that area. Just look for a SAN. We ride 3 different boats, but basically look for some form of a black SAN and you will find us.

looser, where do you work? Two of my crew are engineers.

If at all possible, all of you try and come to Spring 2 Summer this June. I know we haven't got much info out yet, but keep looking at http://www.wakefactory.net/forum/index.php for more details and we hopefully will have the event flyer posted in the next week.
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-14-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
sounds good Jason, I'll be down anytime. I work a lot, but my schedule is very flexible. I work for Applied Data Trends... small software company located next to Teledyne Brown on the corner of Wynn and Technology (across the highway from the rocket)

I'll be in TN for my first ride of the season on May 1. can't wait.
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-14-2009, 6:30 PM Reply   
Is summer EVER going to get here!!! This has been the most inconsistent sprig ever. I have been a handful of times so far, but I can't wait to start riding on a regular basis.
Old     (rshea99)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-14-2009, 6:36 PM Reply   
Check out s1.zetaboards.com/southernwake/index/ its a new forum and message board we just started up.
Old     (kev88)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-14-2009, 6:44 PM Reply   
We are at Smith (Rock Creek). Familiar with the area around Triana (boat there often) - live down the road in Madison. Went to Spring 2 Summer last year - highly recommend!
Old     (trewblu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-14-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
justin when we going to get to go riding
Old     (xandercon)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-14-2009, 9:20 PM Reply   
Out of Ditto in Huntsville. Like Wendy said above, started riding wakeboards in July/August of last summer so still pretty noobish out there. Went out this past Sunday for first ride of the year and had an awesome time. We have one friend who rides with us frequently, so we'd be happy to pull anyone who needs a ride in exchange for some tips on our riding. I'll try to post on the weekends we're going out.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       04-15-2009, 5:32 AM Reply   
JDUB, at least you have ridden. The only ride I've gotten this year was at Cancer Freeze in Florala. My boat is still torn apart in the garage getting it's Spring cleaning. Damn black boats. Might go out this Saturday if the weather holds up. We'll see....
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-15-2009, 6:12 AM Reply   
are their any good contest on Lake Martin?
Old    wakejjboard12            04-15-2009, 6:20 AM Reply   
"are their any good contest on Lake Martin?"

Not that I've heard of. Lake Martin isn't really the best spot for contests. Could be wrong though.
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-15-2009, 6:24 AM Reply   
Trew, whats up my man. When are you going to be done with baseball, and school.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       04-15-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
"Trew, whats up my man. When are you going to be done with baseball, and school."

I don't play baseball and I don't go to school. Must be mistaking me for someone else.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-15-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
H2O, The INT league has had some events in years past on Lake Martin at Children's Harbor. I don't think they are this year though. The water gets real choppy by mid day there.
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-15-2009, 9:04 AM Reply   
yea.... you have to find some protected spots on the lake.... I just love it up there though. It's a beautiful lake. Were stayin at my great aunts house that she rents out up there memorial day weekend.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-15-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
We have our secret spots and we don't leak that sh*t. There are so many wallys and posers up here it's nuts... terrible lake for contests... but for the chosen few who will wake up at 6am to shred and those who ride until the moon is out... glass can be found. Weekdays are tolerable but you can forget Sat/Sun.

I hear you on the bad weather. We have been going up at least 3 times a week and its been cold and blown out... we've managed a few good sets but mother nature isn't cooperating so far. Today is looking promising though!
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-15-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
weather should be about to turn up. gl
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-15-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
Jason, talking to the kid a few post up named Trew.
Old     (trewblu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-15-2009, 6:58 PM Reply   
school ends in the end of may and baseball I don't know yet but I doubt I'll have games this Sat. I've already went riding twice it was awesome
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       04-16-2009, 12:01 PM Reply   
My bad, didn't catch that.... obviously.
Old     (rob_corum)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-16-2009, 4:37 PM Reply   
I'm really surprised on the activity this board is getting.

We definitely need to get a little float party going for this summer sometime. Would most of you guys be down if we organized it and stuff?
Old     (vinnyp)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-16-2009, 6:26 PM Reply   
Im in Rob... (if you dont mind an Arkansan)
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-16-2009, 6:52 PM Reply   
I'm down!

Hey Jason, when are you river rats going to come down to Smith Lake and show us how to ride. By the way, thanks for the tips on the extra ballast install. Everything is working great.
jward
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-16-2009, 7:53 PM Reply   
I can also bring my 210. I'm sure you are going to need commitments on boats.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       04-17-2009, 4:59 AM Reply   
JDUB, I'd be happy with getting out on the river at all, Smith would be even better. I've got to get on the water and get some riding in.

Glad to hear the ballast is working nicely. I help whereever I can.

If we get something happening, I'm down for bringing my boat too Rob.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-17-2009, 5:52 AM Reply   
You can count on me, Jeff, and Alex and possibly a few others to come out.

Rob - ...... Alex and I rode Wed and he said you might be coming down this weekend. True?
Old     (rob_corum)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-17-2009, 5:01 PM Reply   
Not sure yet. I'll probably come down sunday. I might go to G-ville tomorrow.
Old     (xandercon)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-17-2009, 6:19 PM Reply   
I'm lookin for some riders for tomorrow out of ditto landing in huntsville. My riding buddy is bailing on me for six flags and my wife is going to be working, so i need a few people to go out with me. Preferably someone who could pull me too.

If yall are interested drop me a message and I'll send you my cell. I'll get off work around noon, so I'd be down to ditto by 1.
Old     (littewend)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-19-2009, 7:50 PM Reply   
looser- sent you a message, we'll be going out on the river wed. 4/22 if you're interested.

jason- we'll def. look for you down by Triana. You don't frequent the River Club do ya? :-)
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-20-2009, 7:04 AM Reply   
FYI - A contingent of the ALWake crew will be heading down to WakeGames Fri-Sun. We are pulling out of Auburn around 10am Friday and will get back late Sunday night. Our vehicle is full but if you wanna follow or meet us down there lemme know.

AlabamaWake@yahoo.com
Old     (rob_corum)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-20-2009, 7:48 AM Reply   
Who all is riding in the contest?
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-20-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
Ben isn't riding. He has been sick and has only had about 3 boat sets all year. Alex is riding for sure and I think Taylor is probably riding as well. You probably know better than me, but I'm sure Phil and some of the other local guys will be in the contest too. Jeff had planned to ride but he can't get out of class until Friday and since Mens Div rides Thursday, he's out.

Me, Mike, Jeff, Ben, and possibly Woody and Denton are just planning on riding park and watching the contest. Should still be a fun time though.

U R judging I assume?
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-20-2009, 9:23 AM Reply   
yo, I was in Orange Beach this weekend for Widespread Panic. whew what a good time. back and ready to start shreddin the water up here.
Old     (rshea99)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-20-2009, 11:07 AM Reply   
Al riders Southern Wake is looking at trying to put on the first annual Southern Wake day July 18th I have not decided on the lake yet because I was trying to find out where every one is from and there lake they ride on. I was trying to get it some where that I could pull people from a 3 hour radius of Memphis and still be central for most. Right know I am looking at Pickwick lake in Tn., Sardis lake Sardis, Ms., Enid lake in Enid, Ms., and Horseshoe lake in Hughs, Ar. you can go and sign up to are forum and give suggestions and get any updates on this event and let me know your favorite spots or where you are located. Go to http://s1.zetaboards.com/southernwake/index/ and check it out.
Upload
Old     (rob_corum)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-22-2009, 7:47 PM Reply   
Right on dude, I'll see you down there.