Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-04-2008, 10:34 AM Reply   
We took the 120 mile trip to the lake house this weekend and discovered an annoying bi-product of the high gasoline prices.
....drafting...

I guess on the highway, we've all experienced people tailgating in order to improve their fuel economy
......but this trip it seemed to be more flagrant

at one point we had a BMW following so closely, that he appeared to have the nose of his car under the boat's swim platform

I changed lanes and he followed
finally I slowed to a pace that was unacceptible to him
he glared at me as he passed and then did the same thing to a car that was up ahead of us

we had 5 such incidence

dangerous and highly annoying
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-04-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
Well.... towing the boat doesn't allow this. But can you say brake check ;)

I put my ball across the top of an M3's hood. As he was literally on my bumper and I was speeding as it was. The lane next to me was totally open. I was trying to "avoid the deer" ...lol. It was worth it to see the look on the guys face.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-04-2008, 10:54 AM Reply   
I hear ya Tanner
but the downtime and the price of a powerwedge limited my options
Old     (crowem87)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-04-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
im getting ready to pull a boat from tempe,az to indianapolis on tuesday night. I really hope i dont run into this much considering im doing the drive alone!
Old     (ncboarderboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-04-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
Happened to us when we were bringing our boat home for the first time we couldnt even hardly see the car behind us there are some idiots in this world
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-04-2008, 11:49 AM Reply   
Ooooh man that would piss me off. Endagering their life and the lives of everyone else using the roadsystem just to save 1 mpg. Some people are just really stupid.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-04-2008, 3:51 PM Reply   
wish there was some way to rig a switch to the ballast controls in the boat to inside the cab of my truck.. how nice would that be, to not only be able to afford to keep all those tanks full while towing but to actually be able to let all that water fly to give the smallpekr behind you a free car wash.. of course, if i could afford to tow with my ballast tanks full, i could probably also afford to hire a little person to stay in my boat while i towed to toss litterbox remnants on my command at all the jeff gordon's and dale jr's creeping up on my wedge.. ahh. wishful thinking
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-04-2008, 4:15 PM Reply   
Funny you say that ManFox. One time I got caught in a MASSIVE downpour while towing the boat. We had to pull over and wait b/c we couldn't see. When it finally let up, we started driving again and finally got to the lake. Some ricer came cruising beside and was looking at the boat I guess. He had his windows down. The automatic bigle decided to kick on at that point.... SPLASHHHHH, right into the guys window. He wasn't happy...lol. I wish I would have seen it and his face when it happened. Only reason I know is he came chasing me down to bitch me out. Would be nice if u could rig that situation up.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-04-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
Sitting behind big trucks, vehicles that stop slower than you do, makes sense, and it's fairly safe. If you're cruising behind a laden concrete truck and he hits the picks you're almost guaranteed to pull up way before he does. Drafting off a car doesn't make much sense to me, as cars/pick ups don't shift nearly as much air as the larger vehicles.
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-04-2008, 10:43 PM Reply   
gotta love the brake check.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-04-2008, 10:54 PM Reply   
Wow, never have seen or done this behind a truck & boat before. I have done it behind an 18 wheeler though. We didn't even have to be very close & improved our mileage by 10 or 12 mpg.

Another idea would be to rig some lights back there. The LEDs I installed under the swim platform are friggin BRIGHT & would probably scare the bejeezus out of anyone tailgating the bu!
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-04-2008, 10:57 PM Reply   
I was behind a semi coming back from the lake with the boat today and he brake checked me. I though that was pretty funny