Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (cabwake)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-17-2007, 3:51 PM Reply   
Wakeboard camp for Sale in Cabarete, in the North of the Dominican Republic in the heart of the Caribbean. 1hr flight from Miami. On a beautiful freshwater river. Full Turn key business established over 5 years, comes with 2000m2 of river front land, with building, Air Nautique wakeboard boat, truck and full stock. Check our website out at www.cabwake.com email info@cabwake.com for more info.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-17-2007, 5:39 PM Reply   
...sounds like paradise...
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-17-2007, 5:47 PM Reply   
I really wish i had known about this place 3 weeks ago when i was there!!!
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       04-17-2007, 6:01 PM Reply   
Sounds great. My only concern as a business standpoint is where all of your clients are coming from? Are they going all the way to the dominican republic just to learn to wakeboard?
Old     (blxboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-17-2007, 7:26 PM Reply   
how many feet is 2000m2
Old     (stwake)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-17-2007, 7:47 PM Reply   
so your selling your company for $300,000. what is your annual net
Old     (gbgonzal138)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-17-2007, 8:12 PM Reply   
So for $300,000 I could have a house paid for, on a lake, with a boat?
Old     (pureblue)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-17-2007, 9:04 PM Reply   
Hahah, I was thinking that too Joe.
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-17-2007, 9:12 PM Reply   
"The Eastern Trade Winds and warm, turquoise ocean waters, make it an ideal playground for windsurfing and kitesurfing enthusiasts from around the world."

Hmmm... Sounds like ideal conditions.
Old    mendo247            04-17-2007, 9:15 PM Reply   
^LMAO^ nice tim

it does look pretty darn sweet though.. not to sure about the area though.. those mountain pics are just how i would imagine it..
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-17-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
...yeah exept the camp is located on a fresh water river, not the ocean, and rivers are usualy surrounded by mountains that block wind...think boys, think!
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-17-2007, 10:08 PM Reply   
Those mountains block hurricanes?
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-18-2007, 7:30 AM Reply   
how come there are no girls in any pictures? without girls in bikinis (sp?) it is not total paradise
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-18-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
If Hurricanes really mattered, who would live in FL?
What is the Island like is a better question? How's the government run? The money? Killer setup, looks first class. I didn't see a house mentioned as part of the deal, what's the real estate market like? Can outsiders buy land? Do you own the land the Camp is on or lease from the state? Seems like a dream setup, but I would need a Vdrive.....
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-18-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
Chris, those are some of the questions I e-mailed them last night. In one of the pic's it showed a shop and a swiming pool i wonder if those are on the ground's? Also how many camper's will it hold at once and were do the coaches live. If the land is leased from the goverment how long is the lease. And is there a main house?
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-18-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
Gordie, let us know what they say. Interesting, and it looks dreamy as hell. I'm guessin here, but it seems that nobody has heard of them, so I would expect a good marketing campaign might go along way. JMHO however, they may be doing well all ready. Wonder why they are sellin?
Good luck to the current owners. It looks first class, and shows well.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-18-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
Gordie, let us know what they say. Interesting, and it looks dreamy as hell. I'm guessin here, but it seems that nobody has heard of them, so I would expect a good marketing campaign might go along way. JMHO however, they may be doing well all ready. Wonder why they are sellin?
Good luck to the current owners. It looks first class, and shows well.
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-18-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
I've been to the other side of the island many times but never to where this is at. The rivers are beautiful and calm so that looks like a pretty sweet setup with the exception of the sausage fest factor. Good marketing has women if the target audience is men, whether the women are in bikinis or fully clothed its nice to know they exist.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-18-2007, 9:52 AM Reply   
All great questions Chris. Maybe people are leaving Florida because their property insurance is going through the roof? Killer setup, but IMO I would not buy in a foreign country on a lease.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-18-2007, 10:24 AM Reply   
Lease wouldn't work. Seen what happened in Baja a few years ago. The Gov can take the land when they want, come to think of it, the U.S. is the exact same way. We just call iminate domain here.

Oh well, a boy can dream.....
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-18-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
I do not know if this land is leased or titled. Just saying I would not buy leased. We have a cabin on state leased land and they basically raise the rent whenever they want. Sucks, but it does keep the property prices down a little.

(Message edited by lionel on April 18, 2007)
Old     (ehwake)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-18-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
hmmmm....anybody interested in time sharing...20 guys at 15k...interesting
Old     (jzd)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-18-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
Now you have my attention Mike.
Old     (stwake)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-18-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
have you guys found out if it was leased from the state or has a title
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-18-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
Interesting, I was in the dominican republic a few years ago. It is a very beautiful place but the poverty is terrible. You also have the hatian people to contend with on the other side of the island. Without all the information on the property and what comes with it etc its hard to know if this woulod be a good deal. On the surface it sounds great. Wonder how much revenue it brings in. From the photos it looks like all you would need is some good publicity and you could be kicking in some major moolah. Especially if it is that close to the beach. You could run a surf camp also. Depending on what accomodations it has this looks like with enough money it could be a good purchase.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-18-2007, 3:54 PM Reply   
I still hsve not gotten a e-mail back from them..
Old     (ehwake)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-18-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
Jerry....I've spent 15k on worse investments...I sent them an email but no reply yet.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-18-2007, 4:43 PM Reply   
$300K? That buys one room/bath in my house.

Seems like a zero must be missing.
Old     (jzd)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-18-2007, 5:09 PM Reply   
Too true Mike.
Old     (doubleup_dan)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-18-2007, 5:13 PM Reply   
hey

to all the people talking about conditions i have been there, and even on the windyest days there is flat water due to the long winding river.

also the gator team (randy, kyle ratray etc) were there to shoot some of their team video.

it is a sick plaace to ride and also the hotel that we stayed in has a mini ramp in it too!! sickest hotel ever
Old     (st3vie_b)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-18-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
Hey everyone, I've actually ridden there on a kiteboarding trip where I lucked out on the wind and decided to go wakeboarding to kill some time. Water was nice and smooth except for the tree branches and debris that jutted out from storms, along with the palm fronds that would occasionally get stuck in the propeller and need to be taken out.

Unfortunately, less than ideal conditions. British dudes that worked there were awesome and fun to hang out with. But I also don't remember any sliders or a Nautique. Maybe they were still getting at that point in time.

From what I gathered, it wouldn't be a wise investment just due to it being known as a kiteboarding destination, not wakeboarding.
Old     (jzd)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-18-2007, 8:30 PM Reply   
Hey Mike they answered my email.There is no main house but they own the land.Pm me I'll share the info.
Old     (madison_boarder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-18-2007, 9:40 PM Reply   
@GD-- As soon as you posted that I thought "he must live in California." Lo, and behold--you're from California. House prices out there are just over the top... maybe you should kick out all those happy cows and zone more of the land for residential ;-) Supply goes up and demand is sated. :-)
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-18-2007, 10:23 PM Reply   
They sent me a message also.. No main house, the rent a place to live in with the instrutors. No were for the campers to stay the stay local hotels, they have a snack bar that they can make sandwiches at. they have a bar onsight. they only had around a 100 campers last year. They said they only been doing wakeboarding for about 1.5 years. they carrier reg liability ins plus tourist ins, He said its alot cheaper ins. in the states... I,m waiting on another e-mai
Old     (jarabacoa)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-19-2007, 4:01 AM Reply   
The area this place is located in is one of the largest tourist spots on the island with mainly European travelers. It seems to be a little off the beaten path, sort of east of all the action. Just like any other tourist attraction there, they probably rely on how well the hotels market their "extreme tourism package." With that, there are probably more villas, houses and rooms to rent then hotels. The school has been operating for several years so it sounds as though it has been sold and bought before. You'd be sure to pay double the amount of what your boat is valued at, to just get through the aduana and have it on the island. All in all, people don't go to Cabarete to wakeboard, they go to windsurf/kitesurf and most importantly, drink Brugal and Presidente.
Old     (mallenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-19-2007, 6:14 AM Reply   
How much is a gallon of gas in the Dominican?
Old     (cabwake)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-19-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
In Response to most of your questions:
First up, yes we do own the land and we have the "land Title" relevant to this country.
2000m2 is roughly 21,537 square feet.
No house is on the Wakeboard School property. Only the Concrete Terrace with Bar, Storage Room & toilet. There is however, plenty of room to build a house and construction out here is very cheap.
The Real Estate Market here in Cabarete is exploding. Our land has increased in value by $30,000 in less than 2 years. It is a hugely popular destination for westerners and the number of condos being bought here by American citizens is doubling each year.
The local international airport (Puerto Plata) is only 15 minutes away. Many airlines fly direct here from the USA, Canada and most European countries.
We Market the Wakeboard Camp to clients from the USA, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Spain, Norway and South America and yes people do come here specifically to wakeboard.
Even with the Trade Winds, we have access to over 6 KM of fresh water so there is always a long stretch, glassy flat & sheltered from the wind.
The area of Cabarete is a vast expanding laid-back Caribbean beach village. With it's charming, hip ambience and combination of relaxed and adventurous lifestyles, it makes Cabarete an Extreme Sports Heaven.
Located within 10 minutes of everything is the world renowned Kite Beach, a world renowned surf spot, motor-cross tracks, enduro tours into the mountains, fantastic scuba-diving, horse back riding, great downhill and cross-country mountainbike trails to name but a few....and Extreme Hotel boasts a 40ft Underground Skate Ramp.
We house our wakeboard camp clients here at the Extreme Hotel. It is a beach front boutique hotel. We also have many other options from Budget to 5* All-inclusive within Cabarete.
CabWake is additionally associated with the RIDE project which involves a Wakeboard school, Kite boarding school, Surf school and Motox enduro tours.
So far at CabWake, we have had the Gator Team out to film for their new team movie, the top 8 UK riders to film for the Alliance video, 1 FIFTY 1 and more recently, Aaron Rathy. Many UK Pro's such as Jonty Green have also been here for winter training and also Exclusive Week Coaching Clinics.
2 current competing UK Pro's are also resident coaches at the school who were marketed by a top Marketing Professional within England which is now spreading to Canada and the States.
It is a fantastic business that turns over $40,000 a year Profit.
Unfortunately, the reason for sale is because of the opportunity to develop Real Estate within the country and make huge sums of money...... we hope.

If you would like any more information or a Pdf containing a summary of the business please e-mail us direct.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-19-2007, 3:29 PM Reply   
It should be noted that in the May issue of Alliance, page 38, there is a Top 10 list of spots to ride, and coming at #6, is none other than ^^^^^^^.
Killer setup for someone.
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-23-2007, 10:03 AM Reply   
That looks unbelievable. Im ready for a vacation.