Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-23-2011, 6:51 AM Reply   
I just started editing videos and I used a song that I purchased on itunes. I want to maybe post to youtube or on facebook. Are there any problems doing this with copyrights? I'm just wanting to stay out of trouble.
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       02-23-2011, 7:45 AM Reply   
As far as youtube is concerned, they automatically identify the song in the video and give links to purchase it. Facebook does not do this, however, I don't think you are going to run into any issues as long as you aren't making any money off of the video.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-23-2011, 10:37 AM Reply   
you don't have to be "making any money off of the video" to be in violation.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-23-2011, 10:56 AM Reply   
"you don't have to be "making any money off of the video" to be in violation."

Yes, but the point is that you probably wont run into any trouble......
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-23-2011, 11:28 AM Reply   
right, but the chances of youtube nukin' the video due to copyright violation = 50/50.
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       02-23-2011, 1:41 PM Reply   
Fair enough, I thought that you had to be making money to be in violation, I think for youtube though there isn't much to worry about because it has always identified the song for me automatically.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-24-2011, 3:50 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone for the response. It seems as though I wont end up in jail anyway.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-26-2011, 9:32 AM Reply   
You DEFINITELY don't have to worry about going to jail. And you really aren't likely to see any action at all from the artist or label. Worst case scenario from them would be a cease and desist action... but the odds of even that are astronomically low.

Youtube does link to the song for purchase, and so many of those videos do hang around with no trouble. If the label doesn't like what you've posted, they'll have Youtube yank it. Again, won't really bite you at all.

Facebook is more militant about copyright. They'll yank it after you post it if they think you don't own it. I've edited music videos professionally for artists and had Facebook pull them down without so much as researching anything. They seem to go for a "better safe than sorry" approach.

'Course, this is all just based on my experience. I'm no lawyer.