Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-16-2009, 1:18 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-16-2009, 6:19 AM Reply   
Wow, Dennie you have some serious extra time on your hands... love the stoke... No nominations for pres yet... I nominate you! I served my country too in the US Navy 72 -75, actually served a lot of food since I was a cook on the USS DeHaven DD727 and USS Higbee DD806, us squids have to stick together! Aloha Joe Pearson www.action2.net
Old     (derf1956)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-16-2009, 6:24 AM Reply   
# 2 with out a doubt.

Dang!, you guys have some serious graphics skills.

I'll have campaign for janitor, I haven't done half the stuff in that list.

LMAO !! but I'd definitely buy a shirt and I know a local guy that would make them
Old     (derf1956)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-16-2009, 6:27 AM Reply   
Yo Sander-- are you still in CR ? I've got a biker buddy been trying to get me down there. If I could combine a bike ride with a board ride I may buy a ticket !!
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-16-2009, 6:34 AM Reply   
Fred, I am local... and since it is my drawing and I have been designing and printing shirts for over 30 years... I would love to make some for my senior friends... I have produced shirts for many wakeboard companies and events, including Nationals and Worlds... My main goal is to get our 50+ division to Nationals and Worlds.... shirts would be easy and fun too. My contact info: action2.net Aloha Joe Pearson
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-16-2009, 6:38 AM Reply   
Fred, any relationship to Paul Overstreet the singer songwriter in Nashville? I have been to his house and have done shirts for him too... small world? Or not? Love your boat name... aloha from Huntington Beach
Old     (derf1956)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-16-2009, 6:46 AM Reply   
Joe- My dad's family is from Tennessee but if I'm related it's like a cousin thing. I did like some of his songs though.
I did have an uncle who was big in the Bluegrass side of music. Frank Overstreet, I have a couple of his albums and he also wrote for several bluegrass magazines I'm told.
Hangin out in OK !
Old     (al_d)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-16-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
"I have produced shirts for many wakeboard companies and events, including Nationals and Worlds... My main goal is to get our 50+ division to Nationals and Worlds.... shirts would be easy and fun too. My contact info: action2.net Aloha Joe Pearson"

Put me down for a couple shirts and tank tops if you print them up. Let me know where to send the check.
Old     (derf1956)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-16-2009, 7:47 AM Reply   
Joe, I'm up for the shirts ! Let's get the design finished and figure out how many we have to sell to justify setup. I'll darn sure wear 'em !
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       07-16-2009, 8:17 AM Reply   
"Yo Sander-- are you still in CR ? I've got a biker buddy been trying to get me down there. If I could combine a bike ride with a board ride I may buy a ticket !!"
I'm here, and not going anywhere! Sounds like a pretty good combination to me, so get your butt overhere and on that bike and board. Soak in the nearly hotsprings afterwards to relax those ooooollldddd beat up muscles a bit...

"I was at Nationals and talking to someone who said they just got their 80 year old father up on a wakeboard!"
That's wicked! Would love to see some footage of that. We'd still beat this guy though, agewise, if we can get my friend up.
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-16-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
Let me talk with Dave Williams, owner of Wakeworld... I do not want to use his site to make money, just promote something cool and fun... I will see if David wants to sell them or have me sell them... Aloha Joe Pearson, for you surfers... a swell is supposed to hit tomorrow at our local beachs...
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-16-2009, 10:33 AM Reply   
Fred,
You may want to slide out of the "Janitor" spot.
The way this is going I'm thinking there's gonna be one H*ll of a mess to clean up before this is over!
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-16-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
[enter unsolicited testimonial here] Joe Pearson has done the t-shirts for three of the four New Jersey Wakefests.
His work peerless. I wouldn't take my t-shirt needs any where else.

I'm going to try to get some fresh pictures of me riding this weekend just so I can post a couple on this old fart thread.
Old     (derf1956)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-16-2009, 11:29 AM Reply   
Dennie, Your right but look at the fun we'll have !!!
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-16-2009, 12:08 PM Reply   
Just for kicks,

Upload
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-16-2009, 12:17 PM Reply   
Boy this thread has legs!

2. The Dude or Dudet with the most wakeboards
(must have a minimum of 3, with at least one coming from Walmart or Target)

My first wakeboard was from Walmart.:-)
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-16-2009, 12:34 PM Reply   
You're right John, this thread has spider legs. Thought I'd get a few hits starting this thread, but I never thought there were that many older peeps riding. I'll try to post up some pics myself.
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-16-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
Jooooooohn!

You are all over it!

Ok just one more pic.

Upload

Back in the day they called me Superman
now they just say "Sup rain man"
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-16-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
Alex... thanks for the plug now post some riding pictures... I will try and find some of me too... Aloha Joe.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-16-2009, 4:46 PM Reply   
Dennie your pics are crack'n me up!
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-16-2009, 7:05 PM Reply   
Oops, Sorry John, Fred,
I forgot the wakeboard handle and the American Flag! What was I thinking?
Here it is!
Upload
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-16-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
Big Brother John!, John,....!

Say it isn't so!

Please Tell me your first board wasn't from Wally World!

Oh my gosh!,....

It just can't be possible,...

Not my Hero, not Studly Sky Fly Sr.!

Ok Ok,. mine was too,.... I feel so dirty now
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-16-2009, 9:41 PM Reply   
Joe Pearson,

Were you on the Higbee when those 4 sailors were wounded as she was attacked by 2 MiG-17s off the coast of Vietnam on 19 April 1972?
http://home.att.net/~iris.gardner/subic.html

Those old Gearing class destroyers were good ships in their day. My Dad served on one out of Mayport Florida, the USS Turner DD-834.

They did not have much defense against modern jet aircraft though, not even a MiG. The old Sumner class destroyers like the DeHaven had even less but for what they were made to do they were great ships.

Lots of history behind the old DeHaven, she saw significant combat in WWII and was Present in Tokyo Bay 2 September for the signing of the Japanese surrender that ended the war in the pacific. That is some classic stuff and you served in that ship! Wow!

I was a destroyer man the whole time I was in the Navy from 1972-1993. My first ship was the USS Jesse L. Brown DE-1089, then the USS McCandless FF-1084 and finally the USS Trippe FF-1075.

I was a Sonarman, we chased Russian subs around asking them if we could be of any assistance

I was the Command Master Chief aboard my last ship. We would call that the "HMFIC" next to the Captain and the XO but now "I" am the Cook, as I do most of it around here for Miss Brenda and myself.

Lets see how did that destroyer song go?.....
Hummmmmm.. in the key of "C"......

"I'm a fornicator
I'm a fighter
I'm a tin can rider!"

Course I know we never done none of that,...
I'm just saying it was somethin I think I heard,... or maybe I read it on the internet somewhere?

Destroyers,... Greyhounds of the Sea!
Dang things ride like a cork in a washing machine on heavy load when the seas get rough!

Its always good to know there's another old destroyer man about.
Old     (derf1956)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-17-2009, 5:54 AM Reply   
Wal-Mart here didn't carry wakeboards. My first one came from West Marine and I bought it on a Labor Day clearance sale. A CWB Sol' 138 ! And I still have it
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-17-2009, 6:53 AM Reply   
Dennie, I boarded the DeHaven October of 1972. Interesting facts you sent... I will keep them... When I got on the ship it was a Reserve Training ship. My longest time at sea was from Long Beach, CA to Mazatalan, Mexico four and a half days... then we partied for 3 days and came home. We would take the reservists on a 2 week cruise once a year, usually to Portland, Oregon, up the Columbia River, or San Francisco. One year on the Higbee they took a 30 day cruise to Hawaii with 3 days of leave time.... I took a 30 day vacation. They played war games all the time there... I had a great experience... Sometimes look back and wished I did my 20 years...
My first wakeboard was an O'brien type skurfer... Aloha from Huntington Beach.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-17-2009, 7:20 AM Reply   
My first board was a Neptune Sceptor(sp) single fin directional with DaKine sandal bindings. Got it at Chick's sporting goods.
Still have it! We took the bindings off of it, and put grip pad on it and it makes a pretty good wakesurfer.
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-17-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
My favorite old board is the K2 Woodie... sandel bindings, directional one huge fin and kind of surfboard shaped... still have it...
Old     (gurubrdz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-17-2009, 12:55 PM Reply   
Found my first "board" washed up on Zuma beach back in '77. My friends and I were on a High School road trip up the Cali coast. I decided to lug it back to Chicago pissin off my buds.(no room for it) They wanted to know where the Hell I intended to use it there?. I just shrugged and said, "hell, I'll ride it behind my boat!" Had a '74 Correct Craft Mustang that threw a killer wake. Got up on a trick line and never looked back. Next thing ya know I was experimenting with strap bindings screwed on and gettin air!..kept havin boards shipped out as I broke through the decks of my surfbords. The yellow board on the bottom in the pic. is the "Zuma Bomber".. Joe, got any idea what year and make that thing was?...this was all pre-skurfer days by a long shot... Upload
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-17-2009, 1:17 PM Reply   
Joe, Chris,

A Neptune Scepter and a K2 Woodie!!!

Man that's hot! hot! hot!

Do you guys have any pics of those boards you could share?

I would love to see em!

Fred,
How did you like that Sol?

I have been looking at some CWB boards of late.

I would like to try a Marius or Transcend but no Pro shops around here to demo. Anybody ride either of those two?

I have a CWB 141cm Sol. We use it to teach new riders and we also use a LF 147cm Rhythm for that as well.

The Rhythm 147cm board really seems to slow things down for the new riders, and appears to help them gain a little initial confidence.
We find that they don't use the big board long though after they can do a little riding.

I actually still like to ride the Sol and the Rhythm some. Heck,.. I like riding all my boards even the XP from time to time. That starts to be a big problem as I usually have too many boards in the boat.

The Sol is the board my Wife and daughter in law learned to ride on, I think it is a very good board for a beginner who's just trying to get up on deep water starts but I know there are other great beginner boards out there as well.

Here's a pic of one of my boards:
Hyperlite Offshore don't know what year it is.

Upload

I tweaked the graphics on it some for a little Gal and renamed it "The Dinka Nator" for some fun.

The Dinka Nator:

Upload
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-17-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
Guru2,

Those are really nice lookn boards.

Where do you keep them all?

I have a room called the "Wake Shack" with a bunch hanging on the wall and some in closets.

I am out of room to store any more boards,... but,...

I think I want a CWB Marius.. or maybe a Transcend!
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-17-2009, 7:44 PM Reply   
Here's several shots of my old Twin Baff 152cm:

Upload

Upload

Upload
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-17-2009, 8:25 PM Reply   
Guru2,

You "ARE THE MAN" in my view!
You are a True Intergalactic Aquatic Ninja!

and my Home Skillet "Studly Sky Fly" aint far behind
Let there be no doubts about that!,..

but....
I might,.. I say I might,... have dibs on the oldest ride,

Check it out Old School!

Here I am on what I call the "Gnarly Notty Hickory" loading the line and setting up for a heelside W2W:
She aint got much pop but she's Hell on Durability!

Upload

Here I go heelside and toeside with the "GNH"!

Upload
Upload

Now that's some more High Quality H20 sports!
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-17-2009, 10:44 PM Reply   
The Road "Trip"

On the side of the road, hav’n a little nip
When Big John came along for a short road trip
Says Hey I know a dude that rides like a mug
Just jump in the rig and bring your jug

Don’t worry bout the boat or boards ole son
Cause we got all we need to have some fun
On a butter pond, it’s a private lake
With a Real Big time boat to make the wake

We met a muscled up blond haired sun tanned boy
Wearing cool shades and board shorts of corduroy
Smooth and quiet and a little old school
You must be the Geezer,.. I’m Brother Guru2

I choked on the lightning when I shook his hand
Cause he’s a pioneer Baby! the best in the land
He can surf, wake and ride the ramp
Hell Geezer, he’s a four time National Champ!

I be thinking, oh dang, what am I gonna do
when Guru’s done riding and John is through
All I gots is a weak heelside Wake
some surface tricks and red bobber to break

When they aint looking I’ll kick my toe
I’ll squeal real loud, “I‘m hurt bad you know"
I was gonna throw a ShreddyBoomBoonanar guys
Somethin you aint never seen it would have dazzled your eyes

Aint no sweat Geezer, we’ll just wrap it up
Now you do that Shreddy an show us what up
I can’t wait to see it, John said with a smile
You go on with your bad self we gonna be here awhile

Let me call some folk Geezer, they’ll want to see this
So Guru pulled out his cell and started calling the list
Yo Randy, Joe and Overstreet come over here man this is gonna be sweet
Hey, Eagle, Web, Gerald, and Mahoney, come see this here it aint no baloney

We need, Steve, Chuck, Deacy and Frank
its gonna be cool to see this prank
Dan, Andy, mrice, come on Chris, not many more to call that’s on this list
Just, Gene, Scott, Doug and Dave, take pictures man it’ll be all the rave

Tony, Paul, Tom, J2, get over here man Guru’s calling you!
Vision, Jules and Razz the Man, get over here gang as fast as you can!
Dennis, Rik, BJ Cail, this will be smooth if the trick he can nail!
will5150, Carlson and Star, we bout to see a ShreddyBoomBoonanar!

Robot, Axell, Knee Brace Boy, we got all the old timers lets shout for joy!
Owen, Sander, AL D, Kyle and Gene, it’ll be the coolest thing we ever seen!
Pete, Alex, Craig and Jeremy, calling all Geezers of the A. I. G.

OOPS,….

Mason, Kevin and old Shredhead, Geezer just tried a Shreddy and we think he’s dead!

Clammy with sweat pouring done my cheek
I awake from a dream and a deep blue sleep
I here the phone ringing, Brenda says it’s for you
Its some dudes named John and Guru2!

Have a great weekend fellas
Have fun, ride safe
All the Best to you!
AKA The Wakeboard Geezer
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-17-2009, 10:56 PM Reply   
Can Girls Play???? I just turned 55 and got the Master's Woman division started last year for Wake Games, Nats, and Worlds. I ride and train 3-5 days a week and placed 4th at Nats. I LOVE to wakeboard and only started 6 years ago.

Look at all you guys who are over 50 and ride. Poor Joe has been trying his hardest to get a Super Veterans (+50) started for Nats and worlds and he can't get anyone....I don't even try...30+ is what worked for women.

Joe...I bet Priscilla would run the class with 4..that's what she did for us.

Come on you guys.....get that Super Vets division started!!!!
Old     (ftd)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-18-2009, 5:07 AM Reply   
Some of my early boards which I held onto. Skurfer instructional booklet was signed by Tony Finn (for my nephew Ben) back in the day.

Joe and I make 2 Geezer Vets...we have a year to get 4 more!!

Frank
Old     (ftd)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-18-2009, 5:09 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (gurubrdz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-18-2009, 5:30 AM Reply   
Frank you have my missing boards!!!! Arrrgggggg!!
Need those to complete my collection!!...hang on to 'em brotha we'll need 'em for our Wake-museum. Had a chance last Feb. to spend some time With Tony and Jimmy at LF. Hdqtrs. in Cali...What an honor!..Such a blast to share stories from surf to wake..seems there was a handfull of us developing similar ideas at the same time around the globe. Hey SoCal girl!..Welcome! Nice Prof. shot..proof this sport keeps ya in phenom shape!..I spend a good deal of time ridin with Laura Lohrman who's killin it this year. So much fun to ride with ladies who Rip!. Post some more pics!...Dennie, your poetry needs to be put to some music. I'm thinkin somethin like Kid Rock rappin your lines over a ZZ Top/ Molly Hatchet/Stevie Ray thang!
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-18-2009, 3:14 PM Reply   
Hey Congrats GERI... I was stoked to see you made the finals at Nationals...good job. Yeah, boys who's in for next years Nationals?
Just give me a YES or a Maybe... ok... Aloha Joe
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-19-2009, 8:09 AM Reply   
Guru2,

I'm on it!
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-19-2009, 9:23 AM Reply   
Ok Joe,

I hope I'm not wasting your time but,.....

"Maybe" it would help if some of the fellas new more info.

I actually don't know much in "specific terms" about the Super Vets division as far as requirements etc, probably most of the other guys do but I don't.

I will do some looking into "exactly" what is needed but could you/would you throw down a "quick" info-mercial or could you maybe give me/us a short run down or point to an "online source" that has info for knuckle heads like me not in the know ?

This would be just a few of my questions:

What is the governing board/body for the Super Vets division (local, state by state, National)?

Who's the "High Sheriff" in the governing board, is it Priscella?

What will it take in the way of funding for 6 dudes, (if that's the # we need) in other words how much and what do you/we need to make it happen?

From a realistic point of view, what level of rider needs to enter Super Vets/what kind of tricks should an over 50 dude be expected to do?

Are certain moves like "Spins" disallowed (thought I saw something in the thread here about that)?

What are the enrollment dead lines, age requirements (birth date cut off etc), liability insurance issues, medical physical requirements if any, locations of, number of and date/times of events?

Are there any specific rules about sponsorship of the riders etc?

Perhaps some of us, including myself who may not "really" meet the riding standard or someone not able for scheduling reasons (like a regular job etc) for competition at this level could/would help sponsor one of "Our Own Riders"

Go Team I.A.G.!!!!!!

Upload
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-19-2009, 10:09 AM Reply   
Geri,

YOU ARE AMAZING!

My wife Miss Brenda is also an RN working mostly in L&D and Informatics.

When us "guys" started riding about 3 years ago, she wanted to try but did not think it was possible.

The first few times she could not get up at all and became somewhat discouraged.
She stayed after it and now rides every time we go out.

I am so proud of her! She loves it!

Without her driving the boat I would not get nearly as much riding in as I do. It's a team thing.

Actually without "Her" don't know what I would do, what a gal!

Thanks for your post, I showed Miss Brenda and I think I am no longer her Hero!
Old     (linscert)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-19-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
Hi guys i started 3years ago,and i have just turned 60 and cant get enough, wish i had found the sport years ago, we have just had a weeks boarding on a local lake amazing
Stuart
Old     (ftd)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-19-2009, 1:56 PM Reply   
Here is some info and hopefully Joe will add to it. The governing body is the World Wakeboard Assoc. (WWA). You join it and then ~1 year from now you may compete at the Nationals. After that if you finish high enough you may ride at the Worlds. This year the nationals were in OK and the worlds will be at end of August in Orlando (OWC). Entry fee per event is probably around $100. To join the WWA is probably around $50. Don't hold me to those $$ figures but I am guessing that they are close.

There are no limitations on the tricks that you are allowed to throw.

These events are fun to attend and compete in. I hope we have enough interest to allow a Super Vet. class in 2010.
I hope this helps.
Frank
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-19-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
Way to rock Stuart. Awesome.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-19-2009, 5:13 PM Reply   
Dennie....your hero costume is way nicer than mine!!! Show Brenda this link to the vid of the Masters Womens division. The first part has our names...the second part is finals....I ride first. It is my passion to encourage all mature women that they CAN ride..even compete...at this great sport. Go Brenda!!!

Frank....great rundown..
fees for worlds--$160.00 (I just paid them)
WWA membership---$40.00
Air Fares---cheap if you shop around
Hotel fees---variable if you share a room
New places to visit--3 per year
Friends you will make and fun you will have----priceless.

Stuart...I wish I had started earlier than age 49 too...but awesome for you...keep it up!!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-19-2009, 5:29 PM Reply   
I have to tell all you guys...when I got the Masters Womens started last year, I had no idea how successful it would be. We had 7 at National the first year and 6 at worlds. This year we had 5 at wake games, 6 at Nationals, and 6 will be going to worlds...just from the US. Last year we had a girl from Japan and this year at wake games we had a girl from Germany who was so much fun to be around. The "core" die hards of the division have become such good friends. We roomed at Nationals and could not encourage and cheer each other on enough. The guy on the dock was amazed at how supportive we were of each other...like we were sisters. I used to ride with Joe in the Super Vets division at our club until I got the other division going. I would love to see you guys get this division going. I know Joe has had a passion for the Super Vets at Nationals for a long time. But be prepared....if approved, it will be for Wake Games, Nationals, and Worlds. And you will love it!!!
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-19-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
Stuart,

I was asked not too long ago,
"How much longer do you think you can do this Dennie?"
My answer then was, "I don't know".
My answer now is at least 60
You are the Man Stuart!
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-20-2009, 6:17 AM Reply   
Frank, Geri added the entry costs... thanks Geri, talking about passion... she has enough to share with all of us! Yes, all the events are fun to hang out and ride. As of qualifying for Worlds... all you have to do at Nationals is compete... they take us all!
Let's get a Thread Started for a Super Vets Division... Who is interested in going.... Aloha Joe Pearson
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-20-2009, 11:21 AM Reply   
Joe,
Does anybody have any idea where Wake games, nationals and worlds will be held next year?
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-20-2009, 11:24 AM Reply   
Joe,Frank,Geri,

Thanks for the scoop.

Some of the fellas talked about hooking up for rides/road trips.

Meeting at "Nationals" sounds like a good spot to me.

What do you think Homies?
Old     (derf1956)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-20-2009, 11:38 AM Reply   
I told Joe that I'd be "in" depending on when and where.
Dennie, I liked the Sol but it was a little short for me at the time. I now ride a Marius Platinum and love the width for takeoffs and landings. I've been wanting to try a PS3 by Liquid Force for the same reasons.
I have a CWB Transcend 140 if you want to try it.
Old     (ftd)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-20-2009, 11:50 AM Reply   
The locations of the three events (particularly the Nat'ls and Worlds) is probably the main factor in determining if we can get 6 or more warm bodies. I bet the WWA schedule for 2010 won't be released until the first of the year so we have a while to wait. Unless someone has some WWA inside info.

Frank
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-20-2009, 3:47 PM Reply   
I will check in with the WWA... and post.
I am riding a 140 Ronix Viva with the Ronix Relex (Park's) bindings... nice pop and super loose. Main problem is getting someone to go have fun. Aloha from the west coast.
Old     (delivern)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-20-2009, 7:22 PM Reply   
Geri,

Thanks for the encouragement! The video link was awesome. As a fellow RN I know the energy that your job demands...and to still have energy to compete is pretty cool! Like Dennie said...I have a new hero! :-)

Brenda
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-20-2009, 7:43 PM Reply   
It'll cost you guys ....but I will ask Priscilla when I go to Worlds if she has an inkling of an idea where they might me next year. I bet she will probably say no...and I will tell her you guys are trying to get a Super Vets going!!! They usually don't know until Dec/Jan where they will be. And they still have Worlds and the rest of the pro tour to finish this year. I'll see what I can do!!
Old     (delivern)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-20-2009, 7:53 PM Reply   
52 and riding with the Legends of Lake Norfork.
Somebody says you get 5 points for waiving at the boat judge!Upload
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-20-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
Joe...thanks buddy!!! You are pretty stoked yourself!!! I was thinking about coming back to super vets this year but Julie talked me out of it..LOL. For sure #2 has my vote!!! I want one for Worlds!!

Brenda...Thanks...I still think Dennie's hero costume is way cooler!! You know, I get off work at 3;30 and get to the dock by 4:30. As I am driving to the dock I can just feel the adrenaline level from work lower with every mile. Sometimes I can't even ride right away because I have to finish "coming down" from the stress. But riding always makes me feel like I was never at work. Last week I rode 6 out of 8 days and went to a contest in Az....and won. I was so stoked. I would rather use wakeboarding to destress than other worse habits!! And this week is Jacho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Message edited by rnopr8 on July 20, 2009)
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-20-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
Awhight! Joe, Frank, Fred,

Count me in for "Super Vets"

I'll sign up for membership in the WWA and roll with ya to wake games, nationals and worlds.

I'll bust my membership out in the morning.

Just hope they aint in Gnome Alaska or Bangkok Thailand!

Ya'll boys better be able to beat a mean surface 360 and a heelside W2W is all I can say!

"Back in the day they called me Superman
now they just say Sup rain man?"
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-20-2009, 9:02 PM Reply   
Dennie....don't join until next year since you won't be riding this year. You will just have to pay again next year.
Old     (derf1956)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-21-2009, 5:59 AM Reply   
Dennie, you're toast! LOL !!! I've got heelside W2W w/grabs and (if they let me switch boards during the run) 720 surface spin on the Roam board. :-) I'm with you though, no Alaska or Thailand for me !
Good for you Brenda you're 5 points ahead of Dennie, his "surface grab" isn't officially recognized yet. I bet he starts lobbying the judges for it though.
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-21-2009, 6:16 AM Reply   
If Worlds is too far away... you don't have to go... I think it will still be in the USA with this economy... I am going surfing right now before work... I don't live near a lake... Aloha Joe
Old     (linscert)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-21-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
hi Fred for the 720 do you carry the handle round the body or is it a overhead move?
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-21-2009, 11:39 AM Reply   
Thanks Geri,

Does the WWA fiscal year run from Jan to Jan?
I don't recall seeing that info posted on their website but I will check it again.

Yo, Fred...
I would love to see that 720 on the Roam,.. got any video?
I also have a Roam and it is so much fun to play around with on super butter days.

We gotta get with Guru2 now and bust up one of his Trampoline boards so we can go Super Big next year,
or at least so I can do more than a weak w2w with surface tricks!
I don't want to do anything to embarrass "Team IAG",... at least not too badly!

Miss Brenda and I are making a wake run for about a week or so down to Lake Norfork/Bull shoals in Mountain Home Arkansas next month. As soon as we figure out the exact dates I'll shoot you a message in case you want to roll down there with us.

The rest of you guys/gals are welcome to come on down,.. I'll post a little travel info for those who think they might be able/want to drop in for an "Intergalactic Aquatic Geezer" Team I.A.G. Ride!

"Wakeworld" definitely needs to send a photographer down to cover that event! (hint hint)

Better yet we can take our own photos, I'll write the article and submit it for Dave's consideration here: "Articles@WakeWorld.com"
(Now that is some more High Quality H2O sports!)

I'll fire up the grill and put y'all on some steaks, burgers, etc.
I'll also have some ICE COLD (non-alcoholic) O'douls for y'all as well!
(Being an X-sailor I find that I have an acute allergic reaction to the real stuff )

Lets get Team I.A.G. on the Map!

Upload
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-21-2009, 12:19 PM Reply   
Hey Fred,

I'll take you up on that demo ride hopefully in the not too distant future,...

Joe,.. I checked out that Viva, I really like the looks of it as well. I like the fact that it has decent molded in fins and its hybrid continuous rocker. I am a big fan of continuous rocker boards.

My Ronix 1 was a little "Tacky" on the water and did not release as well as I would have liked. I put some .7 inch A-wings on it and that helped the looseness some and even rode it finless but that changed some of the other characteristics that I liked about the board.
Out of all my boards I thought the Ronix-1 probably had the most pop, but seemed the most inconsistent as far as hitting it right.

So I mainly ride an 07 Era 142 finless, 07 Natural 144 finless and an older 06 Collin Wright Pro 142 modified with some .8 extra long base P-wings. The one I ride generally depends on the water conditions.
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-21-2009, 12:23 PM Reply   
Fred,

You're right, that low altitude grab of mine aught to be in there man!,...
Where's that dang number to the WWA?
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-21-2009, 12:33 PM Reply   
Anybody got any video crash,.. ah,..er,.. new trick footage?

I call this one my I.A.G. "Low Altitude Somersault".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTmhiE4SL7I

The video is a bit low quality here but you might want to take a look see.

I am on my Natural 144.

I was testing out a "Trakker" video mount on my Ski Pylon
and did not get the camera focused before I started out.
(I hate getting senile)
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-21-2009, 1:20 PM Reply   
Hey Guys,

We like to play around with video when out riding with the posse.

Its fun and we replay the days events back later in the evening to see what we are doing right/wrong or anything in between.

If ya got any videos post em up we would love to see them!

Here is a Video shot of my Son (The Ghost Rider) riding a Ronix-1 finless and a LF Rhythm.

In this video about half way through he attempts a "No Wake" Flip.

As you can see it doesn't work out completely

http://videos.wakeboardingmag.com/viewVideo.php?video_id=1551&title=Ghost_Rider_Slip pn_Slindn_Ronix1
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-21-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
The Viva has changed and does not come with the molded fins. I heard they had issues with the molded fins. Ronix went to fins like the Covin, which the Viva replaced.

I have the Covin and like it a lot, but want to try the Viva since it has a slight different rocker, more of a hybrid.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-21-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
Ok..I will post one up!!! Have a good laugh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR_aF4Td8iM
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-21-2009, 7:40 PM Reply   
Dennie....yes...Jan to Jan. I think the WWA-USA Worlds is always in the US. Other countries can come and compete here though and they have to qualify in their country...but so far our "Worlds" is in the US. Last year it was in Oklahoma City where we had Nats this year. This year it's in Orlando.
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-21-2009, 8:22 PM Reply   
http://videos.wakeboardingmag.com/viewVideo.php?video_id=1720&title=just_getting_bac k&ref=mayor howell

Dennie, here is a crash for you, i mean some new (old) trick footage. I rode veterans at nationals and worlds in 07 so i'm closing in on supervets !....
how about we petition to change (?) the name to "Legends" ??
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-22-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
Legends? Yeah, in our own minds... and that is still a joke! Waves were 1 -3 foot here yesterday... watched the Tour de France this am... a swell is coming for this weekend! Good Job on the wanted poster... that was funny! Wish I could go. Aloha Joe
Old     (derf1956)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-22-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
Dennie & Stuart No video and it is a handle pass (after a hard HS cut and slack allowed) manuever. My son does them behind the boat with a tight line and his record is 1440 (show off).
Definitely post travel plans Dennie, I've got a trip to Tennessee 8/10-8/16 already.
I'll bring boards and boat, if needed, with a big playpen and 13 cupholders !
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-22-2009, 9:22 PM Reply   
Joe,
Anybody riding passed age 50 is a Legend to me but anybody riding passed 50 is also a Geezer to me as well!
Except for the Gals of course!

Geri,
I liked your posted vid, you ride smooth and I think you have a good flow to your ride.
Your board is smokin, really nice rig.
What are you doing to stay in such good physical condition, you look great Girl!

Fred,
Will do!
Man you got to get some of these exploits on video brotha!
If we can get a ride hook up I'll shoot some Geezer Video for the thread!
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-22-2009, 9:29 PM Reply   
Wow!! nice riding Nedge!

YOU STILL GOT THAT OLD SWAGGER!

Your profile picture is Awesome dude!
You should post it up for everybody to see, very very nice!
No kidding man it is SAweet!, post it up!
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-22-2009, 9:38 PM Reply   
Wow,

I just went through this thread checking out all the posted comments, support, inspiration, camaraderie, pictures, content etc.

All y'all are the absolute "Sheznit"!

This thread is PIMP!
This thread is SMOKIN HOT!
This thread is ALIVE!

Makes me smile!

Way to go y'all!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-22-2009, 9:47 PM Reply   
Dennie....you make me laugh!!! to stay in shape I do 500 crunches a day. Then I work as an OR nurse 8-16 hrs a day (you know the drill!!) then I work with a personal trainer in the winter and ride 3-5 days in the summer. Then I have a 13 year old...and that's about it...not much!
Old     (wakeboardgeezer)      Join Date: May 2009       07-22-2009, 10:35 PM Reply   
Feeling Wore out?...
Tireder than an old Kats Yang?...
Out of Viagra?...
Getting to that point where you just want to
throw in the towel and quit riding?,..

Check it out now,
Don't give up!
Just say, Hell NO!

Wait just one minute here!
The old Wakeboard Geezer from the Home Boy Wake Shop has got you covered!

Introducing!

The all new and improved "Smack Dabber"!

A revolutionary breakthrough in Wakeboard Technology for the Really Really Old Old Timer!

Tracks well side to side and is super stable!
This baby has a "Continuous" rocker!
Faux leather Fit All, Fast "C" Clamp bindings,
Rocks a Cheap Foam core!
all of which come as standard equipment!

Remember;

Don't Cuss call Us
The Smack Dabber is guaranteed not to Rust, Bust or collect Dust
guaranteed for weeks and weeks with no leaks or squeaks!

When you need to go big, wake 2 wake in "Relax Mode",...

It's the Smack Dabber!
Come getcha One!

Upload
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-23-2009, 12:16 AM Reply   
Cool thread, some talented old f##ts on here for sure. I'm turning 50 in a couple months (don't feel a day over 30), started late at 46 when my kids got into boarding, I still suck but loving it all the same...wicked sport and times with family and friends on the water!
Upload
My boy...little buggers much better than me
Upload
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-23-2009, 4:45 PM Reply   
Welcome Bevan..... beautiful riding spot you got down there... how's your winter? Aloha from Surf City, Huntington Beach, California, that is in the USA....