Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (power63)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-12-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
I am looking at getting our first wakeboarding boat, and I need some expert opinions here. I am stuck between the MC X-35 and the BU Wakesetter 23. I would appreciate the opinions of those that use, have used, or ridden behind. I am looking for user friendly, good ride, and overall quality.

Let me know.

Thanks
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-12-2008, 6:25 PM Reply   
if money isn't an option (seems to be the case) go MC
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-12-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
Guarantee you that no more than a handful of people have been behind a 35, seeing as they are just coming out, but I have seen one at the dealership, and they are wonderful boats!! High seat backs for a more user friendly ride, sink, fridge, cooler, flippable observer seat, with a sliding seat next to it so you can put your feet down in the observer spot if you want, and at the same time not sacrifice seating if you don't want. It is an amazing boat, and I think will revolutionize some of the new seating arrangements coming out!! Between the X35 and the new Malibu Direct drive(Brian Grubbs new boat I believe) I think we'll see manufacturers approach to seating change radically in the next couple of years!!

I would say go with the MC if you can, it's a great boat, and the hull is much like an X-Star but a little deeper, stealing characteristics of the CSX 220 which allows it to handle chop a little better. plenty room, plenty family friendly, should be a killer wake, and a killer surf wake when weighted properly!!

When I saw it for the first time last week my jaw dropped, MC's attention to detail on this boat is awesome as usual!!

Damn I should sell MC's for a living...

Can't speak for the 'bu, never been behind one, I know they are great boats as well, it's all preference, I'm a MC guy, and love the 35 (it and the CSX 220 are my favorites right now). 'bu's are great boats with a great wake as well, there is no bashing here, just think the X35 would be a better choice!!
Old     (dtr)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-12-2008, 10:25 PM Reply   
If money isn't an option I would still go for the BU hands down. The LSV has been proven already to be one of the best out their the x35 still could be but not yet.
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-13-2008, 5:36 AM Reply   
The show I went to had a 35 and the pro there said that the 35 could be an x-star killer. Amazing wake without weight and great surf wake because of the deep hull.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-13-2008, 6:15 AM Reply   
I think you should go with the X-35, someone has to be the guinea pig.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-13-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
Yeah trying new things. That is never a good idea. Both are very well built boats. Demo, Demo, Demo. Just by looking at the boats the X-35 is going to be better in big water, has more family friendly features, and may or may not have an awesome stock wake. Make sure you are comfortable with the dealer as well.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-13-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
resale...there are wakesetters all over, how much X-35's will be fore sale if you want to sell in a few years...i wouldn't think many
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-13-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
You really can't go wrong with either one. I'm an MC guy so the 35 gets my vote.

I have wicked surfing plans for this summer with our stock X-35, can't wait till the lakes thaw so we can put her through the paces.
Old     (tom_d)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-13-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
Tom, I have looked into both of those boat at the boat show. I have owned Mastercrafts in the past and have made the choice to go to Malibu. Overall performance and quality of the boat was unmatched. I found the Malibu is way ahead of everyone in the inboard market. I flew down and went threw the malibu plant and seen how they are built. The whole company is top notch. At the boat show this year Mastercraft did want me back in their boat, and tried to offer me the "Cash back Rewards". If you really read the fine print that whole system is very sticky and I have not heard any good of that program at all. I have friends who did the cash back rewards and this is the 3 year and not 1 has gotten the money back. So to me this is kind of shady to me. I don't want to deal with a company that tries things like that. Also one thing to consider is the dealer. I have vacationed up in CDA a few summers back and it was great. The Malibu dealer was very helpful even though we did'nt buy our boat from them. I heard rumor that there is a new Mastercraft dealer up there and I don't know much about them. I have a great relationship with our dealer and that is a huge plus to our family. So just trying to give my two cents in for you, and give you my point of view because I have been there before. Don't just look a the boats because both are good look at the total package you get with your boat.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-13-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
Tom now the MC guys are going to get all butthurt from your comments.
Old     (tom_d)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-13-2008, 11:21 AM Reply   
Nu Bu... Sometime the truth has to come out and sometimes it hurts...
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-13-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
So true
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-13-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
performance and quality of the boat unmatched?? Sorry to prove your point about getting defensive NU BU, but I can't take a low blow like that. I didn't rag on anything malibu when making my commen about the 35. BU quality is matched or even surpassed by CC and MC. I personally know three people that have done the cash back program, and two that got the 10 thousand. I'm not a malibu fan but I'm also not saying they aren't a great boat, they wouldn't be such a large company if they weren't, but MC has 40 years under their belt, and is still constantly improving. MC service is amazing, and the boats are quality!! You won't lose whether you choose the wakesetter or the 35, or even a nauti 226, but the 35 is a great boat, and the cash back program does work!!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-13-2008, 12:24 PM Reply   
Thanks Josh that's what I was looking for
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-13-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
I knew it was, I aim to please

got to go to class, rant on modern boat brand bashing later...

Old    freefly70            02-13-2008, 12:41 PM Reply   
The dealer is huge. Our local Bu dealer sucks and sells a ton of boats. No matter how much more I loved Bu over MC or Tige I would not own one because of that. Good luck.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-13-2008, 2:49 PM Reply   
Hijack...

I've been really frustrated lately with the overly bashing of all kind of boats except your own. I understand pride in ownership, I love our MC, but I don't deny that other boat brands are built just as well as MC. As in Bu's and CC's! I just prefer my MC, and know more about them than any other brand!! In reality I'm happy to get behind any kind of boat be it a MC, moomba, BU, or anything else for that matter!! End rant and thread jack, but I had to get that off.

Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-13-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
That was a general statement to WW I presume?
Old     (benjamin_74)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-13-2008, 3:06 PM Reply   
Love The Malibu great wake, and a solid build. Finally got to take a hard look @ the X-35, in my opinion the X-35 is the most functional boat for my purposes, my back is done for after last season so it's surfing for me. Deep hull, great for where I go, Lake Havasu where it gets really rough, lots of room, all around great design, and I have always been a fan of MC. I was going to get the x-45 next month, but the x-35 changed my mind. Don't think you could go wrong with either boat...
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-13-2008, 3:30 PM Reply   
Boaters in general, myself included. I attend alot of events, meet alot of people, and post on a few forums, and I find it hard to not talk about how great my boats are, but also feel it is unprofessional, and immature to bash other boats!! I have to constantly remind myself that if I can't convince someone that my boat is better without bashing theirs then it must not be that much better. I respect alot of CC guys, because you don't hear them pipe up and get defensive very often. we get so caught up in our own war between MC and BU that we just make ourselves look bad! The performance and quality speaks for itself, on both MC and Malibu!!

Old     (power63)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-13-2008, 7:19 PM Reply   
Everyone, thanks for the input. i really was hoping not to start an MC vs BU war. Both seem like excellent boats. We are going to lake test both (now we will see how good the heated seats and heaters are at 40 deg F!). And I will let you know. To be honest, we are now leaning towards the X-45. I will keep you posted.

TP
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-13-2008, 7:42 PM Reply   
Tom D, your comment, "I have owned Mastercrafts in the past and have made the choice to go to Malibu. Overall performance and quality of the boat was unmatched. I found the Malibu is way ahead of everyone in the inboard market."

...is far from the truth and can't be based on the actual boats. Maybe a service issue or something, but not the boats.

We all have our opinions but when someone is asking for advice, you should try to keep it professional.

Tom Power: I have owned all 3 of the big brands. My Malibu VLX was a great boat. I have very few complaints, and had no major issues. That said, I chose to have a Nautique and a MasterCraft this year for the camp, and I am the guy that buys what I want and will fly clear across the nation to get the best deal. They are all good boats. I would ultimately look at the price you are offered, and the after the sale service when looking for your boat. Sometimes you have to ask around to find out what the service is like.

And don't forget Epic or Supra. These guys are coming on strong, and that Epic is legit.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-14-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
How can you look at service when you are flying across the country to get the best price? Kinda contradicted yourself. Service comes from the local dealer and you should keep in mind that we break our backs to service every one of our customers. Buy the boat that suits you and your families needs the best. Remember that when your boat goes down, and at some point it will no matter which brand you own, it has to be worked on by someone............
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-14-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
Wakeride~
Very well put on the service issue. Who else around here gives a free loaner boat in the event of a major service issue.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       02-14-2008, 4:43 PM Reply   
I lived/bought my bu in another state and was moved to Washington 18 months later. I went in and introduced myself to the bu dealer here in Washington and was told to come in if I had any issues at all. I was treated as if I bought the boat locally. I haven't had any issues and have been invited to all of the dealer events.