Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-01-2011, 4:23 PM Reply   
This week on the way to Bullards Bar, my windshield caught a rock and shattered(port side curved window). luckily a guy were we camped had a shop vac and we were able to still go out while we were there. Now that im home i have no idea who to contact about replacing window.
I live in Yuba City, CA, any help would be great.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-01-2011, 4:40 PM Reply   
Look on the windshield and see who makes it, Taylor Made, etc and call them. Call the boat mfgr and see what they say. Boat windshields are not cheap at around $1200 so I'd contact your insurance for sure, assuming you have some. A buddy had the exact same thing happen and could only get the complete windshield.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       08-01-2011, 4:45 PM Reply   
I was headed out on vacation for 2 weeks and had the same thing happen. My left side window blew out while cruising down the freeway. It was on a Monday and I was about 2 hours from home and 4 hours from our destination . I called Tige directly and was able to purchase a window from them and have it next day air shipped to a window glass store in the closest town to where we were going. Everything was covered under my insurance but the deductible.
I was back in business within 3 days.
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-01-2011, 4:53 PM Reply   
The window is a taylor made clearview as2, I wonder if there are local places that would be able to get that.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-01-2011, 5:45 PM Reply   
Nope, don't expect to find it at a local place unless it's a boat dealer for the type of boat you have.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-01-2011, 8:34 PM Reply   
I can't speak for an auto glass shop, but I highly doubt any residential/commercial glass shop will have a boat windshield in stock or be able to get it cheaper then you can by contacting the manufacture. Most shops (ours included) only deal with flat glass.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-02-2011, 5:55 AM Reply   
Not sure if you already have these but they do keep the rocks from kicking up and hitting the boat. Not sure if that is what happened in your case but I do know that since I put these on I have noticed a significant decrease in nicks in my boat and trailer on long drives. They are called "rock tamers" and can be seen on costco.com. Also did you have a boat cover on at the time the windshield broke? I too would recommend talking to your insurance agent about coverage and I would be very careful as to what the glass dealers put in. You might also check great lakes skipper for a window.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-02-2011, 8:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskiprosx View Post
I can't speak for an auto glass shop, but I highly doubt any residential/commercial glass shop will have a boat windshield in stock or be able to get it cheaper then you can by contacting the manufacture. Most shops (ours included) only deal with flat glass.
Absolutely, ours wouldn't carry anything like that either. Best bet is to contact the manufacturer and see if they can do what Kirk said, ship it to wherever the closest glass shop is and see if your insurance will cover it. Sorry about the bad luck man!
Old     (dbdan)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-06-2011, 6:18 AM Reply   
Why don't you call Bob at Calabria directly? The boats are made in Merced, 3 hours from you...hell, I bet MB even uses the same windshield since they "share" so many design characteristics...
Old     (dbdan)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-06-2011, 6:43 AM Reply   
Why don't you call Bob at Calabria directly? The boats are made in Merced, 3 hours from you...hell, I bet MB even uses the same windshield since they "share" so many design characteristics...