Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-26-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
To go with the devil I know?

I'm trying to decide if we should upgrade to a new (or newer) boat. Here's my deal. My wife and I spent most weekends of summer '06 1031-ing a full time rental into another vacation rental, then fixing it up for vacation renters, because "that's where the smart money's going"... So we didn't ride much at all last year. This year, a friend of mine came into a bit of money, and bought a new, fully loaded 23' Sunsetter V-drive. We've ridden San Vicente with him a couple of times this summer, and I have to say, the ridiculous chop out there isn't so ridiculous when yours is the biggest wake on the lake. You can still do your tricks.

Anyway, right now, we have our old 21', '97 Malibu Sunsetter, set up the way we like it... tower, perfect pass, some lead bricks, etc... but I guess I didn't realize how dirty it was getting when I'd pull it out of storage every couple of months to charge the battery and run the engine on the hose, while we weren't using it. After having ridden behind my friend's new boat, my wife is now calling ours "ghetto boat"... uggg.

To make matters worse, this weekend, we took it out and the transmission got stuck in gear, day over, re-assuring wifey that it's time for an upgrade...

So, I've called around, and I have a mechanic line up to fix the boat, and another guy lined up to clean it up and restore it to it's former glory. But, now I'm looking at it and thinking, well, we're going to put a bunch more new parts into it, and get it looking new again, regardless. It's going to be clean, and fresh, and theoretically in perfect condition, although it is 10 years old now... It only has 380 or so hours on the engine.. Also, we'll be riding behind my friend's boat alot, hopefully. Can I really justify dropping another 20 to 30K (after selling the old one) into getting something newer? Would a newer boat be more reliable, even after fixing this one up? Can I deal with all the time it takes to get set up on something completely different, figuring out insurance, and weighting, and tow speeds, and all of the new boat's little quirks?

What would you do?
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-26-2007, 10:42 AM Reply   
sounds like your pretty comfy but i think i would go with a new boat... Especially with the wife on board... lol.

You will figure out weighting and speeds and all that stuff in no time... Also, i think that any problems you have everyone on this board will be more than willing to put in their two cents.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-26-2007, 10:43 AM Reply   
I would give me your current boat and buy a new one!haha But in all seriousness, I'd prolly get the tranny fixed and then sell it, don't put anymore money into it than that if your going to sell it. Believe me I really wish my girlfriend was begging me to get a new boat!haha
Old     (twoten)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-26-2007, 10:50 AM Reply   
Go for it... any time she agrees to buy something, you need to do it. Opportunities like that dont happen every day.
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-26-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
Now that buddy is a quandary. Just know that if she does not get her new boat it may sour her on the lake experience. Thus spoiling it for you.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-26-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
You are in a great position, its usuallly the wife that is stopping the new boat purchases, get that new boat quick before she changes her mind
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-26-2007, 10:59 AM Reply   
Let me get this straight now...

Dude! what in the hell are you waiting for... RUN
don't walk! RUN RUN RUN down to the NEW BOAT DEALER.

Congrats man cause you definately got a Keeper for a wife!
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       06-26-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
I agree with Jake. If the wife is willing get the new boat.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-26-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
You should have titled this thread "Wifey wants a new boat,YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!"
Old     (johns)      Join Date: Sep 2000       06-26-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
As long as you have the ok from the "War Dept" I don't see what the hold up is. Get down and start testing new boat with the significant other. You can figure out all the details later. My wife complained our 210 SANTE was too small on sunday and I was looking at new boats on Monday....bought a Nautique 236 the following Friday.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-26-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
At some point 'a really good boat that's still fixed up' is still 'just an old boat.'
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-26-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
This thread is worthless without pictures of said wife....
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-26-2007, 12:07 PM Reply   
getting all the quirks worked out sounds like more reasons to spend a day on the water in the new boat...

It may not make sense now, but it will.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-26-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
"worthless w/o pictures of wife"

Now thats funny, I don't care who you are :-)
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-26-2007, 12:41 PM Reply   
No, we don't need another guest appearance from UR_Lesson.... I am sure we have had enough of "it".
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-26-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   

Upload
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-26-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
Excellent...
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-27-2007, 12:12 AM Reply   
buy mine 04 gravity games ssv loaded with awsome stereo system
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-27-2007, 12:30 AM Reply   
I'll be the first to say she's a keeper....
Old    bocephus            06-27-2007, 7:03 AM Reply   
Remember, it's usually the wifey that over spends...and the husband that works late at night...I'm single though so I don't know jack! I do do about 10-25 divorce appraisals a month though and hear the above over and over...
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-27-2007, 7:14 AM Reply   
touche

Where were you guys in the pic?
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-27-2007, 8:02 AM Reply   
Good thread, John S good job on the 236, cracked me up, out the next day.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-27-2007, 10:30 AM Reply   
The picture is off the west coast of Northern Costa Rica.

I am the one who will be working late nights to pay the bills. That's a good point.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-27-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
Amen to what leonard said.

Don't walk run to the boat store.
Old     (kdsuprassv)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-27-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
I had written off finding the right boat in my price range. Then the wife started asking if I was ever going to find us a boat??? I bought one the next week.....and all is well.... after she recovered from the sticker shock. You better start shopping before she changes her mind.
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-27-2007, 3:32 PM Reply   
2004 Gravitygames Launch SSV with all optios available, killer stereo systm, JL 10" sub, 4 Kenwood speakers, 4 MB quartz on tower, Kenwood amp, JL amp. Dual batteries, LED lights, 178 hrs. If interested in pics hit me at:
liquidelement05@earthlink.net
Old     (lespaul)      Join Date: May 2007       06-27-2007, 4:34 PM Reply   
i wish my mom wanted a new boat then my dad might be a little more compelled to get one.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-27-2007, 4:50 PM Reply   
I say kiss the wife for being awesome and buy a boat
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-27-2007, 5:54 PM Reply   
.....got to chime in...........this is a no brainer..........how much for your wife?