Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ag04blast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-15-2012, 1:50 PM Reply   
I am surfing goofy behind a 2002 Mobius LSV. I am currently running a 750lb in the rear next to the engine, a 400lb in the ski locker. I usually have 4-5 ppl in the boat and will put 1-2 up front and the rest in the back along the surf side. We run with the wake plate all the way up and about 9.5-10 for speed.

I have two boards : A liquid force custom 4-10 (single fin) and an older liquid force 5ft (tri fin). I am 6-4, 200lbs.

I have no problem getting up and going rope-less. I can stay up for awhile and get some push off the wave, BUT the pocket is tiny and I have to surf real close into the boat. If I am not careful I can end up on the swim deck.

I have some height to the wave but it is short and sloppy on top. If you back off from the boat, you drop out.

Do I need more weight? More speed? Should I put my wake plate down some?

When watching videos, people seem to be surfing much farther back from the boat than I can get. And it seems (and this may just be perspective) like people are driving a lot faster.

Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-16-2012, 5:40 AM Reply   
Most likely you need more weight in center and front of boat surf side preferable but not mandsatory. Good surf waves are about water displacement with the hull and speed of boat to get wave surfable ect..... If your wave is short, move weight around in boat and see if wave improves in lenght you want. Our boat always does better with center and front tanks full and a few folks up front or at least one. Lengthens the wave, or get a sac up front. Between walkway is a good spot for a 300-500lb sac cause gets hull deep in water. Hope that helps ya.
Old     (altawake)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-16-2012, 8:06 AM Reply   
I have the same boat and in addition to the weight you run I put another 500lb in the walkway. I also put another 400 in the rear on whatever surf side we are using, depending on how many people we have. I run the plate 3/4 of the way up. The wave I get is clean, has a longer pocket, and a decent size. The weight in the walkway is key.
Old     (ag04blast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-19-2012, 12:27 PM Reply   
Thanks, it looks like I am going to be shopping for some more weight.

I am gonna try and pick up a 12V pump and two more bags, one to put on top of the ski locker and another to lay on the surf side seat.
Old     (ag04blast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-19-2012, 1:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by altawake View Post
I have the same boat and in addition to the weight you run I put another 500lb in the walkway. I also put another 400 in the rear on whatever surf side we are using, depending on how many people we have. I run the plate 3/4 of the way up. The wave I get is clean, has a longer pocket, and a decent size. The weight in the walkway is key.
When you say your plate is 3/4 the way up what position is that on your dial?

On my plate position dial the plate only goes from 0-50% (the dealer told me this is normal). So are you running at 3/4 of the motion....12.5% or at 3/4 of the 100%...25%.
Old     (altawake)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-19-2012, 5:07 PM Reply   
Looking at the wakeplate guage, with the needle all the way to the left, that is the full up position. I move the needle approximately 25% to the right. That make sense? Or another way to look at it would be 25% to the left of center. Once you start playing with it you'll see it makes a huge difference. Every so often my wife will forget about the plate and it's pretty obvious because the wave feels like it has no "push'.