Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-29-2003, 9:35 PM Reply   
I haven't a clue the name of what I'm trying to do since I don't have a skateboard background. I originally thought it was a shuvit, I think I'm wrong, though.

I'll try to explain:
Ollie and then kick the board 360 with your front foot(behind you). The problem is the stupid board ends up everywhere except under me.
Behind me, in front of me.. I can't get the board to rotate directly under my feet.

I'm starting the rotation just before the board leaves the water, not sure if that makes any difference and I'm not riding finless. I've seen a number of people do this trick with larger fins then I am using so I know it can be done.

What is this called and how to keep the board under you?

B-
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-30-2003, 10:01 AM Reply   
Are you riding switch when you try this?
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-30-2003, 10:06 AM Reply   
Is it this?

http://www.wakeskating.com/tricks/fs_bigspin.php
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-30-2003, 10:19 AM Reply   
I'm not riding switch and I'm not rotating my body to switch.. I'm starting off goofy and trying to stick it goofy as well.

That's sort of 'it'...also, what's a Varial?

That's pretty much the trick, though..

B-
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-30-2003, 10:28 AM Reply   
Varial is turning your body while the board stays the same. I think there may be other variations but I think that is basically it.

From what it looks like, what you are trying is harder than a normal shuvit.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-30-2003, 10:42 AM Reply   
Harder is better!(should I be saying that?!)

Okay, so.. how do I keep the board spinning under me? I'm kicking with my front foot and the board is spinning back-side. Should I be kicking it frontside?

I think I can pull the trick off if I can just get it to turn under me.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-30-2003, 10:49 AM Reply   
now your confusing me! How do you push off your front foot?

Try kicking the board out later, that may help you keep it under you. If you try it too early the board will get away from you.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-30-2003, 10:57 AM Reply   
I'm spinning(kicking) the board with my front foot. Should I be kicking(spinning) with my back foot?

Hey, when are you hippies coming up to ride? Waters getting chilly.

B-
Old    andystrawn            10-30-2003, 11:40 AM Reply   
yeah use the back foot to kick it around. And try it backside (rotation) first. Frontside is a lot harder.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-30-2003, 12:02 PM Reply   
quit lying, everyone knows you are a tuber.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-30-2003, 12:06 PM Reply   
He's trying to learn skate tricks on his tube. He's keeping it on the DL so he can bust out as the innovator of extreme tubing.

Barry, any W2W attempts yet?????????
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-30-2003, 12:18 PM Reply   
Neelley's mad because my tube is better..

What is W2W?

Yeah, a few attempts.. buncha crashes.

I'm dead set on getting *this* trick down! I figure by the time I stick it, I'll be the only 70 year old in the world doing it.

Why can't I kick with my front foot? The board spins just fine.. it just doesn't spin directly under me where I need it to land the stupid thing.
I'll try kicking with my backfoot.

B-
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-30-2003, 12:20 PM Reply   
You should be initiating the pop with your back foot and pushing the board with it as well.

70 years old? Cool you should have it within the next year! When is your birthday?
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-30-2003, 1:21 PM Reply   
I don't look a day older then 50, jerk.

I am initiating the pop with my back foot.. but, I'm spinning it with my front.

is that wrong?

B-
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-30-2003, 2:12 PM Reply   
Hey old man don't call me a jerk, you'll hurt my feelings.

After pushing down to initiate the pop, you should be sweeping the board with your rear foot to get the board to spin. Your front foot will do some of the work but your back foot does the most.

Now hook up your friggin boat, go out and try some before dark and let us know how it went
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-31-2003, 11:55 AM Reply   
Well, that's explains my problem(one of them, anyway) I'm trying to spin the board with my front foot.
We'll be going out Sunday, assuming it's not to cold from the rain. I'll try it then.

B-
Old    big_red            10-31-2003, 11:59 AM Reply   
are u trying one of these 2?

backside pop shuvit
http://www.wakeskating.com/tricks/backside_popshuvit.php
frontside pop shuvit
http://www.wakeskating.com/tricks/frontside_popshuvit.php
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-04-2003, 9:51 AM Reply   
Barry- you get out this last weekend? I went out saturday and tried big spins till my arms felt like they were going to fall off. Im not even close. Im going to take my fins off this weekend and cheat. I think im too fat. I cant get enough height off the board to complete the spin. I think the tip is trying them off the back of the wake. Thats how i got closest. This weekend I will claim that trick!!!!!
Old    oldschool            11-04-2003, 10:34 AM Reply   
You are doing a frontside 360 shuv-it. Haven't seen one of those in a while on a skateboard, but I always thought it was easier to do than backside shuv-its.

You'll just need to keep at it until your body figures out what it needs to do to keep the board under your feet. You may find it easier to land if you stay in the trough of the wake and let the board pull you up and then pull it right of the top of the wake, but stay outside. Confusing?? YES!