Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-21-2011, 3:36 AM Reply   
Kicking around the idea of a new truck. I've seen the Rough Country Leveling kits (2") - first off, do those work on GMC Sierra Denali's (constant AWD)? I am wanting to go 6.2L, but I dont have to go Denali. Second question, How would a leveling kit affect towing our precious wakeboats? Just curious. I love the look of them (been browsing gmc forums all night)....

Thanks for any input my friends...
Old     (clay_denk)      Join Date: May 2007       06-21-2011, 5:50 AM Reply   
My 2007 Denali XL has a 2" drop kit in the rear to level the truck and has not provided any issues for towing. The Autoride suspension counter acts the height drop when the LSV is hooked up.
Attached Images

Old    ajmac            06-21-2011, 6:23 AM Reply   
I have a 2.5" level kit from CCM offroad on my chevy truck and i'm really pleased with the results. I'm just waiting for my tires to wear a little more so i can put some 33s on the truck. It drives and tows like it did before i put the level on.

the first picture is from before i put the kit on.
Attached Images

Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       06-21-2011, 6:54 AM Reply   
My Denali has a 2" drop all the way around and it does fine with the AWD system. The air ride suspension also keeps it level when towing. I will try and snap a picture of it with the boat hooked up today. Here are some without the boat.

Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-21-2011, 7:24 AM Reply   
Look in to Cognito leveling kits
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-21-2011, 7:40 AM Reply   
Happy to share my recent experience with this.

I just bought a 2011 GMC Sierra 4x4 1500. About 2 months after purchase, I had a leveling kit installed on the front. It's a spacer that sits on top of the strut to lift the front up 2 inches roughly.

Truck looks great. But by lifting the front, the rear was quick to sag under load. Three dirt bikes in the back, or towing the boat, or any load really would make it sag more than I wanted. Also, under load, with the front now lifted and the rear sagging, the steering was more susceptible to over steering on the freeway. Front wheels felt light. I'm picky, most probably wouldn't care.

Step 2. I had the airbags installed with the digital controller in the cab. Now under load I can level out the truck most of the time. The system keeps 5psi in the bags at all times, so between this and the leveling kit, the ride is a little stiffer than stock when not loaded. And I probably have the equivalent of a 2" in the front, and a 1 inch in the rear.

My truck will manage a heavier load than stock, and it looks nice, but I did sacrifice a little bit of drive/ride quality when unloaded. I think the factory GM bags that come with the higher end models probably do a better job of maintaining factory ride quality.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-21-2011, 12:38 PM Reply   
I've got 2 1/2 front leveling kit and 1inch rear on my 07 Denali. The leveling kit was exactly what I was looking for in terms of height. I was able to put a more aggressive tire on and it doesn't look like every other soccer moms ride. The one thing I did notice is the traction control sensors are very sensitive after the lift. It commonly flashes pulling out of some driveways or rolling over uneven ground. I'm also not certain that its not the tires as I'm running Nitto A/T compared to street tires that they come stock with.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       06-21-2011, 1:31 PM Reply   
I have Nitto Terra Grapplers on my 07 Denali and don't have that issue.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-21-2011, 5:12 PM Reply   
Agree with what J-Rod says....

Me and my partner are a dealer for Rough Country, and we've installed lots of the leveling kits. Most of the time we'll do a 2.5" up front, then remove the 1" block in teh back on the trucks and install a 2" block in it's place, with new shocks.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-21-2011, 5:17 PM Reply   
I was waiting on john to chime in...I'd trust his judgement anyday from his experience on a strictly GM site.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-21-2011, 6:16 PM Reply   
http://www.roughcountry.com/chevy_ta...eling_kit.html

Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       06-21-2011, 9:56 PM Reply   
every chevy truck i've seen with the 2"inch increase on the front sags when it is towing a boat. mine is factory and is lower in the front and when hooked up to the boat, it is perfectly level.