Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (plegal01)      Join Date: May 2009       07-20-2009, 6:50 PM Reply   
Ok just got back from Urgent Care because two Mondays in a row now my leg swells up like crazy from an allergic reaction to something biting me on the Delta while on the boat. Dr said I need to wear pants on the boat (ya right!) or use a good bug repellant with DEET in it.

So my question is anyone use a big spray that doesn't smell disgusting and works good?? I looked into a bug spray/sunscreen combo but I am reading it's not the way to go since the sunscreen needs to be reapplied more often than the bug spray.

Sorry for the boring topic, but I don't want to get eaten alive this weekend at Girls Ride the Wake weekend!!
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-29-2009, 6:13 AM Reply   
In the salt marsh areas of southern New Jersey we have these big wicked biting flies called green heads. They're nasty.
This stuff was developed to repel them.
http://www.greenheadfly.com/main.html
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-29-2009, 6:47 AM Reply   
Alex,I thought about you this past week when I was on vacation.We kept getting bit by flys.I told my daughter,"These are nuthin like the greenheads on the east coast!"

LOL.

OFF seemed to do a good job,and didn't smell bad.
BullFrog makes a bug repel/sunblock too.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-29-2009, 7:19 AM Reply   
I just bought some bug spray for this adventure I went on, it was like Sportmans MAX and had 40% deet..... honestly bugs wouldn't even land for a second, they got close and turned right around.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-29-2009, 11:53 AM Reply   
OFF makes a large variety of products with the classic smelling spray to newer non stick/residue and sensitive skin sprays. Some of their products will make you smell a bit girly but still work to repel insects.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-29-2009, 12:13 PM Reply   
off woods - lotion not the spray.
I use that everyday when im in the Philippines(delta bugs aint got nothin on the bugs in the PI) and i dont get a single bite. Just apply like lotion after your shower and youre set.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-29-2009, 12:27 PM Reply   
We use this stuff in Minnesota. The Biting flys and Mosquitoes are insane in MN duirng the summer months. This stuff works GREAT and doesnt STINK like MADNESS!

http://www.cactusjuicetm.com/
Old     (neffro)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-29-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
Listerine works

//www.associatedcontent.com/article/657921/prevent_bug_bites_with_listerine.html
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-29-2009, 12:55 PM Reply   
Skin-So-Soft by Avon works really well as a bug repellent. Look up Avon online and you'll find a bunch of different products that might help including some with SPF.
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       07-29-2009, 3:18 PM Reply   
Hey michelle, Skin so soft works, as an army person I used lots of stuff. If you get bug spray just look at the Deet, make sure it is like 90+ and just use a little. most cheap stuff is like 15% deet