Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-27-2009, 10:25 AM Reply   
I am looking at some different on board chargers to start selling at my families business. I want to see if I can sell them competitively and see what is important to you.

What brands and models have people been buying?

What are the key features you look for in an on board charger?

What do you like or dislike about your charger?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Brett
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-27-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
Heard these are really good. Haven't purchased one yet though.

http://www.batterytender.com/
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-27-2009, 11:31 AM Reply   
i currently have just the little two bank 1.5 amp battery tender. i like it because it has the quick disconnects you leave on the terminals so you don't have to have the thing on the boat. i wish it had a higher output though.

last boat had a chargetek CT500 which was waterproof, ignition safe and i had it hidden and mounted right next to my batteries. it worked great. it was 5 amp output i think.

(Message edited by brucemac on February 27, 2009)
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-27-2009, 11:36 AM Reply   
IMO I think battery tender is junk and have owned several that crapped out.

I use a dual pro that is mounted in by garage and I have modified the leads with alligator clips.

Dual pro is what all the professional BASS anglers use to charge up there trolling motor batteries
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-27-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
got 4 battery tenders. haven't had a problem out of any of them.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-27-2009, 11:49 AM Reply   
I use a battery tender on my motorcycle, but with certain batteries the tenders can overcharge the batteries.

For my boat installs I use Stinger and Kinetic batteries. For on-board chargers, I use these: http://www.stingerelectronics.com/productDetails.aspx?delineate=737&CategoryID=12&Pa rentID=1

The difference in that is that this charger shuts off completely once charging is complete. I'm installing 3 of these in my boat at the moment, 1 in an X-Star next week, and another in a Baja the week after that.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-27-2009, 11:50 AM Reply   
I have a Prosport two from Cabelas. It has worked well so far, but i have only had it a month.
Old     (montana_sanger)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-27-2009, 11:57 AM Reply   
I would second the Dual Pro stuff.I sell probably 100+ a year. They are more expensive than others but worth it. I have sold them for many years and they are awesome to work with, have good warranty, and don't require any airspace for proper cooling. Also made in the USA
Check out:www.dualpro.com
Let me know and I'll get you some contact info on my Rep.

Dave
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-27-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
Bruce, Chargetek is the reason I brought this up. They have sent me some emails. After talking to them a bit though they don't have different settings for different types of batteries and the ProMariner ProCharge are only a little bit more.

Our company carries Xantrex which makes top quality inverters and chargers and just realized they have a 10, 20 and 40 amp marine Charger. They are a little more than the other brands but our customers have been very happy with their quality. Most of the one's we sell are for Fire trucks, aid cars and vehicles of that nature.
Old     (jsxstar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-27-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
i have the batterytender ones on everything boats cars bikes lawnmower etc.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-27-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
brett

yeah, i hear ya on the settings, but most of the inexpensive one's don't. you have to read the fine print, but most will do all the agm/sealed batteries just fine. that CT500 did. some multi-bank one's don't like to see different types at the same time i'm told.
Old     (marineunlimited)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-27-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
We sell Dual Pro they have great customer service and awesome product
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-27-2009, 6:08 PM Reply   
I use this on-board charger and have been very satisfied. I use the 5/5 dual bank one. Unplug, take to lake, bring home, plug in and forget about it. It has a float charge so you can leave it plugged in for long periods of time.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_74190____SearchResults