Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (lakepirate)      Join Date: May 2007       08-14-2007, 2:14 AM Reply   
Here's my story. I'm 26, have a descent job and minimal bills or commitments, and had thouroughly enjoyed the time I spent on a friend's boat the last few summers. So, I decide that I'm going to step up to the plate and buy one myself. After looking for nearly 6 months, I finally purchased an '05 Malibu Wakesetter VLX. I thought to myself "this is going to be a piece of cake, right?"

Wrong. After 3 trips, I'm quickly discovering that having a boat and the responsiblities that come with it can be quite challenging. So, I figured I post this thread with a handfull of problems/concerns that I have and hopefully get some good advice from you guys. Feel free to answer any or all. Thanks so much in advance, and hopefully my next few posts will be how much I love having this thing.

1. Why do my batteries keep dying? The last two times we took out the boat, we launched, went to start the engine, and discovered our batteries were dead. Luckily we had jumper cables and there was other boats around, but it sucked. We have dual batteries + perko switch. Should we turn the swith to "OFF" when not in use? Should we have a battery charger on board? Also, how can we see the benefits of that perko switch? Should we have it on "1", "2", or "ALL" when out on the water and when hanging out with engine off but stereo on?

2. Why do I suck so bad at getting the boat on the trailer? Yeah, so what should be a 10 minute process has been turnig into an hour long headache. Any tips for where the trailer should be in the water and how to make sure the boat is centered on the trailer without pulling it in & out of the water 18 times?

3. What's the best way to anchor/moor the boat? I've heard the anchor buddy is good for that type of application. I've heard that some people attach chains to their anchors. Any advice on anchor and mooring?

4. Is it worth paying the $500-$1000 to transfer the Malibu lifetime hull warranty?

5. How difficult and expensive is it to install new diamond plating on the trailer's steps and wheel wells? If I do it, what type of diamond plating should I use? I have what seems to be some plastic stuff on there right now, kind of cheap but seems to reduce the heat on your feet when stepping on and off.

6. I can't seem to find lights for the Illusion Tower. Do they make them? If so, what website can I purchase them at?

7. What's the best stuff for wiping down the boat and getting off water spots? Right now we're using some of that Babes stuff, but a friend told me something like water and vinegar will work just as well (not to mention save you around $30).

8. Are tower socks useful? And if so, how expensive are they? I would like to keep the tower looking nice and shiny, but living in the dusty/windy desert makes it difficult. I've even thought about having my mom sew one up for me. Anybody have experience with that?

9. Can I stain or paint my teakwood swim step? I have heard mixed answers on this one. I prefer not to use oil and wouldn't mind a little work sanding and staining if it kept it nice for awhile?

10. Why do my ballast tanks fill up even when I don't tell them to? I've noticed that whenever we start using the ballast system, we'll drain one completely, check to make sure their empty, and 10 minutes later, the display will say "3/4" or "1/2". Why is it doing this? Also, will it burn up the pumps if we accidently leave on the fill switches?

Ummm, I think that's it fow. Sorry to bombarb you guys with questions. But thanks again for the help. Also, I posted a pic of the Wakesetter below.

Upload

(Message edited by lakepirate on August 14, 2007)
Old     (wmk)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-14-2007, 3:34 AM Reply   
1. Don't have a perko switch, but would assume leaving it in off would be fine. Batteries shouldn't be draining anyway - have you been checking all of your switches to make sure you haven't left something on?

2. Should be a 30 second routine, takes practice. Someone with a vlx is better suited to answer than me. Depends on hull, ramp, etc.

3. Anchor buddy works fine.

4. Probably not

5. Why bother? It's just a trailer.

6. Not sure, but i think dbot5 sells lights and an adaptor that would fit the illusion tower.

7. Oil and vinegar is your cheapest route.

8. Probably good for protecting the tower, but seems like it would be an annoyance in my opinion. After a while of boat ownership you realize you can't protect every last square inch of your toy at all times and just accept some wear and tear.

9. Dont know.

10. No clue but you can burn up a pump eventually - however i've drained complete batteries by accidentally leaving ballast pumps running and they were unharmed. Other times they've burnt out for no reason.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-14-2007, 4:07 AM Reply   
1. Dont know, but be sure you not leaving your ballast, blidge or blower switces on. These will run even though the key is not in the ignition

2. Practice. Also, you shouldnt have to back off all the time. If you get resonably close, the person that backed the truck up should be able to just lift the nose up and place it in between the front pads

3. I just use a rope and attach it to the cleate for the anchor. I also have 4 boat bumpers in case we need to tie up with another boat or dock.

4. The rate of hull failure is so low that I don't think its worth the money since you will almost never use it. However, it may be worth the peace of mind.

5. Dunno, but like wmk said - its just a trailer

6. Dunno

7. I use a 50/50 oil vinegar mixture and keep it in a preasure bug type sprayer in the truck. When were done, just pump it up, spray the boat down and wipe. I can do my entire boat with 3 people in under 5 minutes.

8. Dunno, never used it.

9. I just used an oil to redo my platform and it looks great.

10. Can't answer this one for you.
Old     (h2oskeefreek)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-14-2007, 4:46 AM Reply   
I think these guys mean vineger and water, not salad dressing.

Oil your teak, don't do anything else, you'll regret it.
Old     (ronskal)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-14-2007, 4:57 AM Reply   
2. Putting the boat on the trailer requires committing to it and keeping the boat idling forward. This is very important, especially if there is cross winds or current. Try not to overcorrect with the steering and keep your momentum up by idling the boat into the trailer without dropping into nuetral. You may feel you are going to ride up and over the trailer but just chop the throttle as your bow crosses the back of the trailer. I do not have a VLX (great boat BTW) but all inboards drift around with no prop wash on the rudder.

4. I paid $450 to transfer my MC warranty which included the engine but you said $500-1000. $500 yes, $1000 I would not.

5. What wmk said, it's a trailer. Focus on maintaining the trailer. Keep the bearings lubed, touch-up any paint chips, keep your tires aired-up, inspect the brakes and remove the brakes to lube the calipers every winter, spray the interior of the trailer with Corrosion-X or quality fogging oil to minimize rust.

9. I use teak oil and reapply frequently. Takes 5-10 minutes. Do not paint it and stain is not the way to go. To stain you would have to varnish and that would make the platform slick as ice.

10. Ballast self filling is not limited to Malibus although your problem is excessive. The impellers in your ballast pumps are rubber vanes and run in both directions, in other words the fill and empty pump are the same (unless Malibu uses a seperate fill/empty pump). One common trick is to reverse the pump after you fill your ballast. This will reset the rubber vanes to help block off in-flow. So fill your ballast to where you need it and then go to empty for a second. If this doesn't help, you may need new impellers in your ballast pumps. These do not last forever and DO NOT run them dry as this will destroy the impeller. I found this out the hard way even though the salesman warned me. I just forgot to turn it off and the impeller fragged itself. $30 for the part and easy to change.

On the subject of impellers, you need to change your engines raw water impeller every year or two. I do mine every winter and it's $30 at skidim.com. Skidim can explain to you how to replace the impeller if your not certain, do not ignore this regular maintenance item.

Enjoy your boat and do not be afraid to work on it or to ask people here at WW for help.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-14-2007, 5:13 AM Reply   
1. Make sure all switches off. If that doesn't work turn the perko switch to off.

2. It's a practice thing, wind, current, and ramps will make a difference.

3. Anchor buddy, buy a box anchor and be done with it. http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/course/boating/7_4.php

4. Don't know.

7. Vinegar+Water, best stuff out there.

9. Teak Oil combined with Star Brite cleaner.

10. Should not happen. Take it in.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-14-2007, 5:49 AM Reply   
Boat ownership is NEVER a piece of cake. There's always something to fix or do preventive maintenance on.

1. Well the first thing you need to do is rule out a problem with the actual batteries. Next time you come back in from a day on the lake, disconnect the battery terminals (don't rely on the perko off setting). Before you launch next time, put a mulimeter on the batteries and make sure they're still charged (or use a fake-a-lake and start your engine). If the batteries are dead, then the problem is likely your batteries. If not, then you either have a short or you left some accessory on. Personally, I have a set of muffs (fake-a-lake for ouboards and I/Os) that I use for starting the engine in my driveway every time before I leave the house. Given the poor reliability of my previous boat, I've just gotten in the habit of making sure my boat will at least start before I drive it half an hour to the lake.

2. I know it's a bit old-fashioned but I still manhandle the boat onto the trailer. The boat driver gets it close and then kills the engine while I pull it onto the trailer and winch the last couple of feet. I figure I'm at the lake anyways. No sense in worrying about getting in the water to guide the trailer on. And even with just a little practice I was already getting up on the trailer faster than most of the boats at my local ramp. If you're really struggling with powering it on, it's worth a shot.
Old     (jrhurst)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-14-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
well , looks like most have already answered your questions . Just wanted to say nice lookin boat , and obviously none of your friends told you how a boat is just a hole in the water for you to throw $$$ and time at ??? J/K , i could not imagine life without one .
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-14-2007, 7:19 AM Reply   
6. lostpro.com or your local dealer...everything for that tower is 2-3x's more expensive if you haevn't already figured it out.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-14-2007, 7:40 AM Reply   
I was a total boat noob when I got my first boat. Actually had never driven a boat. A buddy of mine showed me an easy way to load the boat. You don't "drive" the boat to the trailer. Put in gear and idle toward the trailer.When straight with the trailer, put in neutral. When the boat starts to drift, or get the nose crooked to the trailer, just engage the prop for a second to straighten the nose out, Put back in neutral and coast toward the trailer again. Keep doing this till you simply easily and slowly drift the boat on the trailer. The guides and bunks will catch the boat and then you simply throttle up and latch it on. I found this way so much easier. Give it a shot.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-14-2007, 7:51 AM Reply   
Do you guys use white vinegar ? and what kind of oil ?
Old    swass            08-14-2007, 7:57 AM Reply   
I prefer an aged balsamic and extra virgin olive.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-14-2007, 7:58 AM Reply   
1. Finding a power “leak” sucks. Use the switch. Have you checked the batteries for a bad cell? Invest in some Blue tops next time.

2. Don’t worry about being centered. Put the trailer down so the wheel fenders are barely peeking out of water, let the bunks guide your boat in. If you have a trusted buddy, one person always drive and one person always back the trailer. The person who drives latches the nose of the boat and cranks you the rest of the way.

3. Yep on the anchor buddy. Get some good quality anchor line, the more line you have out the better the anchor will hold.

4. Ask Ronia on that one. It’s a craps shoot.

7. Vinegar and water 50/50 works great. It you have really tough waterspots, use limeaway Start with a 50-50 mix with water. After the limeaway treatment you NEED to wax your boat. Use Starbrite Marine wax with Teflon.

8. Buddy got some canvas and sewed up his. Very easy to do.

9. Look into Amazon Golden Teak Oil. It is a higher quality than McGuire’s. You can lightly sand the teak but the oil seals it. We always oiled before we went out. Don’t forget to let is soak into the wood.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-14-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
i second aged balsamic
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-14-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
My $0.02.

#1 - As stated, you should not have to turn off the Perko to keep batteries from draining - if they are, something is left running or something is draining. To visit the point of the Perko.... Most original Perko applications were to have 1 battery for starting and 1 for running items when the boat was not running. With larger engines, some will start on BOTH then swtich to Batt 1 or Batt 2 or keep on both while running (thus charging both). Some people mentally assign 1 for starting and 2 for listening to tunes when the boat is not running. To start switch to 1 or both and run on 1 or both. When you stop to listen to tunes, switch to 2 thus ensuring 1 will not be drained and able to start when it is time to go. It will not hurt to turn to OFF when you put it up but you may loose some preset radio stations (depending on how the stereo is wired). I would at the very least make sure you are not on BOTH when you put it up as if it is wired correctly, you will at least have 1 good battery when you go to start. Others may correct me here but the only thing you should have that is always "hot" are the autobilges (they should not go through the Perko).

#2 - everyone sucked at one time. Inboards pull in one direction on reverse - learn which way it pulls and compensate - try to line up to the trailer way out and compensate for the wind/current and if at all possible, do not hit reverse and if you have to, use your rudder and only bump it. Keep a large paddle in the boat for obvious reasons but also to keep you off the pier and other boats when you get into trouble.

#3 - chains are generally used when anchoring in rocky areas - the chain rubs on the bottom and not the rope (keeps the rope from being frayed).
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-14-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
Oil and Vinegar Baaahahahahahahah
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-14-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
1. no clue

2. Get the bunks on the trailer wet to start out. You then need about 2 inches of fender showing. You'll only see the front of the fender.

3. I'll send you a document on how to anchor your boat off shore. It's only useful if your staying the night because of the anchor.

4. Personal Choice

5. What about Rhino Lining?

6. I'm sure they do.

7. Babes or Vinegar and Water

8. No

9. Sand it then put Teak Oil on it.

10. You don't have the anti-siphon valve. Talk to your dealer. My boat does the same thing. Once the season is over I'm going to install it. It's a common problem.

Welcome to boat ownership. Isn't it fun?
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-14-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
1. I just turn the Perko switch off each time. Isn't that what it's for?
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-14-2007, 8:59 AM Reply   
1. We always turn battery switches to off when the boat isn't in use. Why not?

2. Practice makes perfect.

3. Anchor buddy works great if you use it correctly.

4. ?

5. ?

6. ?

7. Water and Vinegar is the only way to go.

8. ?

9. ?

10. Refer to you problem in #1, this issue may have something to do with your batteries being dead everytime you launch. You might want to take it in and check it out, sounds like this may also fix #1 for you.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-14-2007, 9:19 AM Reply   
Number 2, I'm with Dante all the way here. Until you get to the point where you can confidently maneuver the boat in tight spaces, don't try to be perfect. Heck you can stop the boat far short of the trailer and just pull it along by the tower onto the trailer as you walk along the doc. As long as you have the trailer down far enough into the water, and back it down close to the dock (within a foot or so), you should be fine to just pull it up onto the trailer by walking on the dock and pulling it by the tower.

I still do this often, and it doesn't add more than 10-15 seconds to my load time. Somebody walks it up, and I jump out of the truck, lengthen the line a good 4-6 feet, and pull it up onto the trailer with the crank for the last few feet. I'm still out of there within a few minutes of when i throw the truck into reverse.

You can actually do damage to your boat by driving it onto the trailer if you don't know what you're doing and don't have it backed up far enough. Good luck, you'll get there.
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-14-2007, 9:47 AM Reply   
I am in the same situation you are in...26 and just bought a boat over the winter....

1. When the engine is running turn the perko switch to all...that will get the alternator to charge both batteries...when you are sitting for an extended time turn it to 1 or 2 and that will only use that battery...when you start the engine turn back to all and that will charge all batteries....this always keeps my batteries going...also putting a charger on them the nite before always helps...

2. I always get the nose between the pylond and shut the engine off..then I alk the boat up the trailer then winch it up...best and easiest way especially in rough water....

Nice boat....Now I want a Wakesetter!!!!!!!
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-14-2007, 9:51 AM Reply   
The only question you don't have on your list is:
11. What is the easiest way to get my cheapa$$ friends to help out with some of the costs and labors.(at least this is a common problem with me, I am in no way talking crap)
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-14-2007, 12:19 PM Reply   
1.) get your batteries checked...if you bought the boat used..no telling how well they were cared for. Batteries often need to be replaced every 2 years...depending on the type.

7.) 50/50 Distilled White Vinegar and Water...best and cheapest solution out there!

10.) not sure how it is on the Malibu's, but on my Nautique I have to open or close manual valves under my dash before I use the ballast switches to fill/drain my tanks. I have to open the valve in order to fill...and close it to empty. If I leave the valves in the open position and cruise down the lake....my ballast tanks will fill on their own w/o having to hit the ballast-fill switch.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-14-2007, 1:04 PM Reply   
#1 Always turn your Perko off. Why chance a deal battery?? We turn it off every time so I can sleep at night! :-)
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-14-2007, 5:24 PM Reply   
#10-On my 01 VLX I have to make sure the hoses have not fallen down (this is for the ski locker ballest bag) otherwise it self fills. I have since tie wrapped it up under the dash area and the problem has gone away. Make sure your hoses are not laying down.

I'm sure they have changed the routing between 01 and 05 but it's worth checking.
Old     (mikerod29)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-14-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
on the whole cheap friends part, tell them. Don't beat around the bush as that never gets anywhere. And if they don't chip in get new friends who do. No joke here, I won't ask people often when they don't help out. Just don't expect to have all of your costs covered. you will eat some of the cost of fun!
Old     (billspin)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-14-2007, 6:28 PM Reply   
1. I have been around boating for about 30 years. The battery issue is not fun. I have experienced the dead battery on the water. I actually had to oar to get in once. We learned a great lesson that time, have two oars. The requirements said one and that was what we had. When we tried to get in with one it was shared left side, right side, left side, you get the idea, needless to say that was a very crooked trip back to shore but we eventually got there. We eventually started using a small trickle charger on the battery when we parked the boat and our battery was always charged when we needed it. The very first thing I bought for my new boat in 2004 was one of these: http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/12-volt/marine-chargers/CT-500-1.html
I plug this in when we bring it back home and we have had the same batteries with no issues. If you can not find the voltage leak you might consider one of these to help out.

2. Back the trailer in until the bunks are all wet the entire length. Pull the trailer forward until the tip of the bunks are out of the water. Every trailer and angle of the ramp will be different so you will have to adjust to get it right. Once the trailer is set I start moving the boat towards the trailer as slow as it will go from a distance far enough to line it up straight. Just remember once you start it moving forward just keep it going and commit to the loading. I like to stand in the center of the boat and line up the tip of the bow with the center of the trailer keeping it straight. If the wind is blowing or there is a strong current give it a little more power and stay in control of the straightness. It is a feel that you will learn when it is correct. Once the boat starts onto the trailer the roller uprights and the wooden bunks should take over and align the boat. Power back, winch the rest of the way, usually less than a foot, this will prevent an accident from happening by over powering the boat onto the trailer. Another trick I have learned is if I can not feel the boat hit the bunks I have the trailer too deep. You will just have to experiment to get the feeling.

7. I have been using this for the last couple of years: DRI WASH 'n GUARD® CLASSIC! https://dri-wash.us/cgi-bin/storefront/dwgusperlshop.cgi?ACTION=ENTER&thispage=orderus.ht ml&ORDER_ID=!ORDERID!#car
Do not let the price chase you away. I bought the 32 oz. bottle two years ago and still have about half of it left. I use this about 3 times a boating season which is about 7 months long and it lasts and guards against the water spots. I have not had any water spots to worry about. After each time the boat gets used I use these to wipe the boat dry as soon as it leaves the water: The Absorber http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=CEA&MfrPartNumber=34900 &CategoryCode=3300

9. I had my teak swim platform covered with a product like Rhino Liner before it ever touched the water. That was the best choice I made. It does not get too hot to use because the water keeps it cool. I have never had anyone complain about the heat from it. I live in Colorado and it is dry and I did not want to deal with the wood over the years.

Nice looking boat. Have fun with it and enjoy yourself.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-15-2007, 7:27 AM Reply   
Get a good "Third"

This will solve a lot of your problems.
Old     (seven20)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-15-2007, 12:19 PM Reply   
9. Don't paint your teak. When working to restore boats, I learned that teak is a wood that needs to breathe and oil lets it do that. If you paint or anything that will seal the wood, it will over time rot and you'll have a mess.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-16-2007, 1:00 PM Reply   
2. Inboards are the hardest boats to trailer. Keep the idle on. you need the thrust against the prop for the rudder to work well. Practice using reverse to your advantage. For instance, if you come in from the left side of the trailer, you can use reverse to skid the rear around to the right to line you up. Hang in there. You can always walk the boat onto the trailer. Trailering should take no more than 2-3 minutes.

7. I use vinegar & distilled water. Works awesome.

10. Malibu Ballast pumps won't burn up. Malibu uses a fill pump and a drain pump. (2 pumps per tank) They are $30 pumps. Someone above indicated they are impeller pumps, they are wrong. the pumps are areator pumps, they have a spinning tribine, so to speak, when it runs dry they just spin, no big deal. Malibu had a problem with the center tank syphoning full. There is a hose in front of the drivers foot-kick panel. The hose needs to be raised so that the loop is above the water line. Or you can talk to your dealer about the anti-syphon valve Malibu started using in 06 or 07. I've left a pump on for 3 hours once, it was fine.
Old    deltahoosier            08-16-2007, 1:12 PM Reply   
1) Your stereo may be draining your batteries. Even though it is off, it requires juice to keep the memory.

2) Start with the front of the fenders about an inch or two out of the water with maybe the last three or so feet of bunks out of the water. You should be able to get the nose into the last part of the bunks to get you going straight and then up and into the stops. It takes practice and maybe a little trial and error but everyone goes through it. Just be patient. By next year you will be a pro.

7) Vinegar and water works fine.
Old     (lakepirate)      Join Date: May 2007       08-16-2007, 1:51 PM Reply   
QUOTE:

"Here's my story. I'm 26, have a descent job and minimal bills or commitments, and had thouroughly enjoyed the time I spent on a friend's boat the last few summers. So, I decide that I'm going to step up to the plate and buy one myself. After looking for nearly 6 months, I finally purchased an '05 Malibu Wakesetter VLX. I thought to myself "this is going to be a piece of cake, right?"

Wrong. After 3 trips, I'm quickly discovering that having a boat and the responsiblities that come with it can be quite challenging. So, I figured I post this thread with a handfull of problems/concerns that I have and hopefully get some good advice from you guys. Feel free to answer any or all. Thanks so much in advance, and hopefully my next few posts will be how much I love having this thing.

1. Why do my batteries keep dying? The last two times we took out the boat, we launched, went to start the engine, and discovered our batteries were dead. Luckily we had jumper cables and there was other boats around, but it sucked. We have dual batteries + perko switch. Should we turn the swith to "OFF" when not in use? Should we have a battery charger on board? Also, how can we see the benefits of that perko switch? Should we have it on "1", "2", or "ALL" when out on the water and when hanging out with engine off but stereo on?

2. Why do I suck so bad at getting the boat on the trailer? Yeah, so what should be a 10 minute process has been turnig into an hour long headache. Any tips for where the trailer should be in the water and how to make sure the boat is centered on the trailer without pulling it in & out of the water 18 times?

3. What's the best way to anchor/moor the boat? I've heard the anchor buddy is good for that type of application. I've heard that some people attach chains to their anchors. Any advice on anchor and mooring?

4. Is it worth paying the $500-$1000 to transfer the Malibu lifetime hull warranty?

5. How difficult and expensive is it to install new diamond plating on the trailer's steps and wheel wells? If I do it, what type of diamond plating should I use? I have what seems to be some plastic stuff on there right now, kind of cheap but seems to reduce the heat on your feet when stepping on and off.

6. I can't seem to find lights for the Illusion Tower. Do they make them? If so, what website can I purchase them at?

7. What's the best stuff for wiping down the boat and getting off water spots? Right now we're using some of that Babes stuff, but a friend told me something like water and vinegar will work just as well (not to mention save you around $30).

8. Are tower socks useful? And if so, how expensive are they? I would like to keep the tower looking nice and shiny, but living in the dusty/windy desert makes it difficult. I've even thought about having my mom sew one up for me. Anybody have experience with that?

9. Can I stain or paint my teakwood swim step? I have heard mixed answers on this one. I prefer not to use oil and wouldn't mind a little work sanding and staining if it kept it nice for awhile?

10. Why do my ballast tanks fill up even when I don't tell them to? I've noticed that whenever we start using the ballast system, we'll drain one completely, check to make sure their empty, and 10 minutes later, the display will say "3/4" or "1/2". Why is it doing this? Also, will it burn up the pumps if we accidently leave on the fill switches?

Ummm, I think that's it fow. Sorry to bombarb you guys with questions. But thanks again for the help. Also, I posted a pic of the Wakesetter below."

Thanks so much for the feedback so far. Once again, Wakeworld members are always down to help fellow boaters. I actually just thought of one more that's probably more important of all. And here it is

11. Why is my oil pressure guage falling to zero while I'm out driving? I'll be in the middle of driving or towing somebody, and all of a sudden the oil guage falls to zero and starts beeping. Then after about 10-20 seconds, it will go back to normal and stop beeping. Anyone have this experience before? And, is it just a malfuction/mistake or is it something I sould worry about?
Old     (357)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-16-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
LPA Tower Accessories has true HID lights direct fit. www.lostpro.com and they are less expensive than the halogens on the market.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-16-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
If only non boat owners knew what a boat owner goes through
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-16-2007, 2:34 PM Reply   
There is a lot to read so I didn't read all of it. I might be able to give a little insite into loading the boat. When it's windy or people just learning I try and leave the trailer out of the water more than usual so the driver can slide onto it while in gear. Now we still leave it in gear and the driver will finish backing the trailer in and the boat just slides on. I have not had problems doing it this way and now we only use it if the wind kicks up.
I say take your time and learn what your best way will work and don't worry about the F's that have nothing else to do than honk their horn and waive their arms. Story short their was a fist fight on one of UT launch ramps just this past weekend that did not solve anything. Good Luck!

P.S.
Great looking boat!
Old     (357)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-16-2007, 2:35 PM Reply   
11. Check the cap on the drain hose if it gets tightened too much it will crack and cause this. If that isn't it try the pressure sensor. Most likely the cap was tightened too tight. Any auto store should have them, I got mine from NAPA auto parts. Or try the dealer
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-16-2007, 9:41 PM Reply   
NICE BOAT!!!!

Take it from me, transfer the warranty!!! especially if it's lifetime

7. What's the best stuff for wiping down the boat and getting off water spots?
I've found if you start with a nice clean waxed boat, you can shammee off the water right after you pull it off the ramp and there are no spots. I bought a shammee that stays wet in the case and it just stays in the boat.

And let me say again: NICE BOAT! congrats