Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old    jammer            07-13-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
Quick question everyone, where does everyone get their augers for the sandbar at? Or do you build your own? I have searched websites, forums, google, and cant find what I am looking for. Maybe my wording is wrong?? What I am looking for is basically two metal augers on the end of PVC pipe, that I twist in to the ground at the sand bar, so my boat doesnt float away. The only ones I have found are the ones at the Marina, and they want $40 each. Thanks!!

(Message edited by jammer on July 13, 2006)
Old    jammer            07-13-2006, 1:34 PM Reply   
Also, I have tried Menards, Home Depot, and Lowe's (all are building supply stores), and nobody carries anything like that. Thanks!
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       07-13-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
try a farm store that caters to horse owners - in my area we have Tractor Supply (TSC). There are stakes that you screw into the ground and can tie a horse to it. Several people on my lake are using them since the water level is down, and they have to tie the boats away from the shore. I haven't tried one, but I understand that they will hold fast.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-13-2006, 2:12 PM Reply   
are you refering too a sand spike ? Im sorry not trying to be a smarta$$ just confused. I know they make a variety of spikes for shallow water or I suggest a good sand anchor and boat buddy for anything deeper.
Old     (kklupenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-13-2006, 3:47 PM Reply   
Definitely go to a Farm Store. I just picked one up at the local Wilco for $6. They came in lengths from 2ft. to 4ft. deep.
Old    jammer            07-13-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help thus far guys, but still not what I am looking for. What I am talking about is about a 4ft long piece of PVC pipe, with another piece of PVC connected to the top to make the PVC like a big "T", then at the bottom of the PVC "T" is a metal auger, which screws in to the sand I cant use one of those small augers, because people will stub there feet on it in the water (since it is far the sand bar where we party), so it has to be kind of large. Any ideas what I mean? here is a quick sketch I just through together.. hahah I can autograph it if anyone wants to buy a copy. thanks again guys!

Upload
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-13-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
This is what we use to permanently anchor our sea-doos in the sand/clay. We simply take a pipe and slide it through the ring, and then walk in circles until the ring on the top is the only thing above the sand. It holds really well; our lake gets very rough during the day.
[IMG]http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE2-951691dt.jpg[IMG]
Old    bocephus            07-13-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
http://www.slideanchor.com/spike.asp

http://www.sandspike.com/html/products.htm

Both work well..
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-13-2006, 10:31 PM Reply   
haha poor guy, you keep making yourself clear as to what you want and no one can come up with it, my guess is that you can take what wakeslife came up with and somehow connect it to the pvc pipe 'T' so that you can have it go all the way above the surface of the water as you wanted
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       07-13-2006, 10:39 PM Reply   
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Screw-In-Type-Sandbar-Sand-Beach-Boat-Auger-Anchor_W0QQitemZ190007541809QQihZ009QQcategoryZ264 46QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old    jt12            07-13-2006, 10:46 PM Reply   
What we have done is taken a grain bin anchor, you can pick them up at a farm store, screw it in the sand so there is only 4-5 inches out of the sand. Take a couple floating bouys and tie them to it, that way nobody will stub there toes on it. Then have a rope with a hook on it to hook onto your boat. The way you want it above would be hard to keep in the ground if it got rough. There would be to much leverage on the top of your pipe, it would either break or pull your spike out of the sand. The lower in the sand the better. Hope this helps somewhat.
Old     (amazongb)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-14-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
Why not just use a box (Slide) anchor?
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       07-14-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
looks like Steve hooked you up
JJ
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-14-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
looks like what he wants, but wouldn't the PVC break eventually? put a buoy on the all metal one..
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-14-2006, 2:42 PM Reply   
Dustin:

I got the PVC at Home Depot and made the T as in your picture. But instead of the metal screw, I just cut the pvc at a 45 and made a sharp point. It just takes a little more work to get it in, but it holds pretty well and I only have a couple of bucks into it.
Old    jammer            07-17-2006, 9:47 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help guys! I found a marina that sells exactly what I am looking for ($30), just like the one in the Ebay link above. Also, shredhead, I saw someone this weekend with what you are talking about and it seemed to have worked pretty good as well. Thanks everyone!