Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (louise)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-06-2010, 7:50 PM Reply   
Hello all:

I am looking to rent a houseboat on Lake Powell next Summer/Fall (2011) and I wondered if anyone has any advice on the better company from which to hire or the better marina from which to launch.

Or, if anyone knows of someone that has a houseboat that they rent out, I would be interested in hearing more.

I would be looking into a houseboat that sleeps at 8-12 people with probably two bedrooms and 1.5 baths (combination of kids and adults and preferences for sleeping in own room and sleeping on deck).

I have rented houseboats in various places; however, this will be my first in Lake Powell.

Thank you for any advice, suggestions or information.

Louise

ps: just returned from Da Reever (for those of you not in the know, that is the Colorado River) and introduced two of my nieces and my nephew to wakeboarding
Old     (kslakebum)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-12-2010, 8:32 PM Reply   
I am shocked that no one has responded to this post yet!

Depending on what part of the country you live, go to the closest Marina. Either Bullfrog or Wahweap are both good ones to go out of.

There are many types of houseboats you can rent, either the basic or the nice ones. They all work pretty well. Just use Aramark, they are pretty good. Sometimes you can find coupons online on Kayak.com.... in 2009, we found a 50% off coupon on houseboating. If you love houseboating enough, want to buy into one Laketime.com is AWESOME! That is who we have our boat with, and we LOVE it!

Enjoy Powell!
Old    SamIngram            08-12-2010, 8:51 PM Reply   
Aramark is the ONLY company you can rent a houseboat legally from. Done companies get around this by sending someone with you on the trip, that way you are not renting the boat, but sharing it.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       08-13-2010, 3:11 AM Reply   
Lol....smart way to wrk
Old     (louise)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-13-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
I have looked at Kayak.com as I read a post (probably yours) referring to the site. No discounts yet, but I will keep looking.

I, too, am surprised that no one wants to share their Powell wisdom; however, every tidbit provides me with some information to look further in a different direction.

Aramark does have the monopoly on the houseboat rental market; however, if anyone knows of a group or an individual that (ahem) wants to "share" their houseboat, just let me know.

Right now, I am looking at all sides of the houseboating adventure.

Thanks again

Louise
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-13-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
I have been watching this thread and since I'm a new B to houseboats I was waiting to see what people said. It's funny with all the rules and regulations you have to abide by when you own a HB on Lake Powell. My family recently purchased one of their Rentals from BF and now it launches out of Antelope Point Marina. If you have the time I would say APM is the place to be! Pull right up to their loading area and cart service will take you to your houseboat and help you unload everything to the boat. I like the hook up if you can find one for HB cause they are crazy expensive!
Name:  IMG_4266.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  145.8 KB
Old    SamIngram            08-13-2010, 11:18 AM Reply   
When the cut is open stay clear of The Narrows!

Check craigslist in metro areas around the lake, like Phoenix, Salt Lake, Las Vegas, and even Denver.... people are offering to share their houseboat time shares all the time.

Also check http://www.ksl.com/ classifieds...

Check the bulletin boards over at http://wayneswords.com/ for general information and discussion. Several people over there on that forum have been on Lake Powell since it was created. Wayne Gustaveson is crazy knowledgeable about the lake!

ARAMARK, the park concessioner, is the only authorized entity that can do rentals on Lake Powell. If you look online you will find several other companies that also supposedly do rentals, but they all just act as a middleman and end up going through ARAMARK. If you rent a boat from someone else be advised that it is not on the up and up and you ARE taking a risk!

You can get a free trip to the lake for a week if you want to pick up trash, check on the Wayne's Words forum. I did this and it was very, very fun!

The best times to go to Lake Powell are late spring and early fall. The monsoon storms are over and all, or most of, the school kids are back in school! I went to Lake Powell for a week once in late September and never saw another person on the lake after the first day!

If you go to Lake Powell bring at least one extra prop and all the tools necessary to replace the prop underwater. In my Powell kit I carry two of these:

The water clarity at Powell changes greatly depending on how far north you are the lake. By Hite the water is very muddy, but by Page the water is pretty clear and you can see pretty far when underwater. My crew just bought a dive hookah for our next trip to Lake Powell.

Old    SamIngram            08-16-2010, 8:37 AM Reply   
No other good Powell info?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-16-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
How about when in Travel keep your marine radio on Channel 16. We would have been caught in a terrible storm but the weather came on and we found shelter 10 min before all hell broke loose.