Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (bigjoe5412)      Join Date: May 2009       07-15-2009, 7:52 PM Reply   
Hi guys I just started getting into wakeboarding and i have plenty of xtreme sport experience but theres just something a little different with wakeboarding ya know? Like i cant seem to find a balance between slamming really hard and just kinda gliding gently into the water. I either slam my head into the water real hard or i let go of the rope and sink down. Basically someone here please tell me how to fall properly becasue i have no idea. It seems like i almost cant control it, all of a sudden im whiplashing backwards into the water and all im doing are straight airs!!!!!! LOL i know i suck but i don't wanna hurt myself doing stupid stuff.
Also is drinking while wakeboarding a bad idea and generally frowned upon?
How do i make my neck stop hurting?

thanks for listening!!!!
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-15-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
Sounds like you're catching an edge. And drinking is not frowned upon, It makes catching an edge hurt less.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-15-2009, 8:28 PM Reply   
You can't make your neck stop hurting. I mean, you can take painkillers, but it's essentially whiplash... I mean, my neck is constantly kinked up from boarding, and I have massive recurring migraines cause of it, but I'm okay with that.
Old     (mrboston187)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-15-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
as long as youre not driving the boat, a few beers might be the crucial motivation you need to try a new trick. Ye Olde Liquid Courage as its come to be known. Also, you will learn to fall as you progress, give it time
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-16-2009, 5:20 AM Reply   
Big Joe,
I feel your pain. I started boarding a while ago but it was like once or twice a year. Now that i have my own boat I go out once or twice a week. This year I finally stopped the whiplash falls, well atleast the ones that ring your bell pretty good (knock on wood).
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-16-2009, 6:48 AM Reply   
it takes a few rides to forget catching a good edge. this is kinda off topic but wakeskating is a way to avoid the whiplash. its still stupid fun but when its time to fall the board and you part ways. (unless it hits you in the shin, then you will remember that)