Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (b_rad)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-15-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
I am looking for a new board this year I have always had hyperlite,but I am not happy with them much anymore . I am thinking of getting either ronix one series board or a Liquid Force Shane board . Witch would be better?
Old     (b_rad)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-15-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
I forgot to say witch size would be good for me ,I am 6'1 165
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       12-15-2006, 8:18 AM Reply   
the one that rides better for you

Witch? I dont know witch one?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-15-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
1. why aren't you happy with hyperlite anymore?

2. why are you considering a ronix?

3. why are you considering a liquid force?

4. would you consider another hyperlite?

5. would you consider a cwb?

6. would you consider other brands?

7. is there a local shop near you? if yes, what brands do they carry?

8. what is your skill level/style of riding?
Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-15-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
Are you able to demo anything?
Old    malibu73            12-15-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
I think board brand is personal preference. You are going to get guys that say i would only ride cwb or i would only ride liquid force and then list some compelling reason why their company is the best, but in the end it really up to you on what kind of board fits your riding style and what kind of graphics fit your style. I would try both, if possible and make your decision from there.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-15-2006, 8:52 AM Reply   
i havent ridden the one yet but the shane is a great board, lots of pop, fast and loose when you want it to be. the shane has almost everything i could ask for in a board
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-15-2006, 9:22 AM Reply   
In response to what Joe wrote... Why don't we add questions one should ask themselves, or another wanting an answer, to help narrow down the board selection process prior to actually demo'ing a board. A series of questions with definitive 'one line'answers. Questions based of terminolgy wakeboard compinies use to market their boards! We can edit, and re-edit, until it is just right. Who knows, maybe it'll get compinies to describe their boards useing words off a comman list that mean the same thing across the board.
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-15-2006, 10:31 AM Reply   
Depends on what hyperlite board you were riding before and your style of riding. There are so many boards out right now its hard to choose. I think the top 5 would be: CWB Absolute, LF Shane, Obrien Natural, Ronix One, and the last would be a toss up between the CWB transend or the Lf Watson. Apologies if I left out the hyperlite Premier it also is a good board or any other boards.
Old    gotwake123            12-15-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
i would go with the ronix i just switched from liquid force to them and the boards are awsome. dont get a hyperlite agian u minaswell ride a board made of lead
Old    innov8actionsports.com            12-15-2006, 1:13 PM Reply   
ITS ALL PERSONAL PREFERENCE!!!
Demo some boards from the brands you like and decide on what to buy by what feels the best TO YOU.
I would say to demo the
07 CWB Transcend and Absolute
07 Ronix one
06/07 Liquid force shane and Watson
06/07 Obrien Natural
I would demo all of the boards above for sure.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-15-2006, 2:23 PM Reply   
hey stephen. have you ridden any of the hyperlite boards with the L7 core? not exactly tanks. I know Hyperlite is known for having heavy boards, but the L7 core they implemented in the 06 models is fairly light.
saying the boards are "awsome" without giving any reasoning is kinda pointless. why do you think the Ronix is awesome? why did you switch from LF to them. like Jeff said, it is all personal preference.
demo as many boards as possible. if you don't have the option of demoing, than figure out your riding style, and go with what board would most suit your style. ie: wake to wake guy, in the flats guy, etc....
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-15-2006, 2:48 PM Reply   
Stephen,

Parks, Murray, Harf and Sharpe all rip and go huge on boards "made of lead"... I have to say that one or two pounds probably isn't going to change wakeboarding forever. Rider weight + bindings + board = 175lbs, that means if a board setup weighs 2 lbs less, the total setup is 1.2% lighter weight. Not much at all.
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       12-15-2006, 3:29 PM Reply   
I have a new response to these questions:

Save the $300 dollars you are about to spend on a board you never rode and spend it on lessons riding your old board. I guarantee that will improve your riding way more then the new super duper Ronix.
Old     (bwog21)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-15-2006, 5:05 PM Reply   
I agree with brian. I ve ridin from a belmont to a parks to a 3ds, The most variation you can possibly have. Honestly i cant tell the difference, just perfect your carving and your skill will take care of the rest. I progressed no more by spending $500 on a new board then my old board, its all publicity if you think a new graphic will make you better fine spend the money. Snow boards have been the same design since 1995 yet peeps still fork out the cash for the 6 ounces less weight to throw a 1080. Practice makes you better not money.
Old     (wakebadass)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-15-2006, 7:45 PM Reply   
Always demo the board before you buy it. I would never spend three or four hundred dollars on a board i have never ridden, thats just a regret waiting to happen. There have been boards i was so in love with and planed to buy, but then rode them and realized, WOW i could never ride this board.

So try a bunch of boards and figure out which one you could ride best on, don't just buy a board because people think they are cool or because your favorite pro rides it. Buy a board because you like the way it rides.
Old     (berryessa_mom)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-15-2006, 8:47 PM Reply   
I have seen people say this board is it, then,it sucks. Buy another one, it sucks. Yet another, this is it. Riding still looks the same? Time on the water is what makes the rider! Skills aren't bought, their paid for.
Old    gotwake123            12-16-2006, 6:59 AM Reply   
thomas
i got the ronix setup for free u shuld ride one sometime anodyne
parks, harf, sharp, and copland-durham quit hyperlite so hyper lite does suck
Old     (ecoff12)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-16-2006, 7:19 AM Reply   
Wow Stephen, your wisdom shines through with your amazing grammer and your non-biased opinions. I mean, if Parks, Chad, and Darf all quit Hyperlite then their products must suck right? Im sure it has nothing to do with the fact that all of them wanted to stick with Paul and Herb Obrien, and that they have part ownership in the new company. (Sarcasm)
Old    gotwake123            12-16-2006, 7:37 AM Reply   
harfs ronix pro model this year is 9lbs. lghter than his priemer sepuplast year hyperlite does suck. how come every other board company can make a light board. and hyperlite was one of the first companys to start building boards. im tiered of people saying crap about ronix wen they dont even know how good they are
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-16-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
wow if that 9 lb statement is true thats pretty amazing... even though most say weight doesn't really matter
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       12-16-2006, 8:59 AM Reply   
At this point, I think I am getting stupider everytime I check this thread. 9lbs?
Old    gotwake123            12-16-2006, 9:50 AM Reply   
9 pounds
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-16-2006, 10:12 AM Reply   
My sons Premier set up only weighs 16 lbs. So I guess the current ultra light Ronix set up only weighs 7 lbs. My son likes his board because of the solid feel under his feet and prefers the heavier board. He has ridden alot of different manufacturers boards and always comes back to his Hyperlite. Saying that Hyperlite sucks because the boards weigh more is a little strong.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-16-2006, 11:12 AM Reply   
here's my 2 cents
As far as weight goes... LF built the first prototype flys in 96 that weighed around 4 pounds. For people that say weight doesn't matter let me assure you that these boards were amazing to ride. They felt weightless below your feet. Only problem was they would sometimes last a month, sometimes only a wake jump. These boards broke like surfboards.

LF couldn't release these boards because of warranty issues. They strengthen them up, added a little weight and released them to the market.

Companies have to find a balance between weight and durability. All these companies could make boards like feathers but they wouldn't last. As far as hyperlite making heavy boards, I'm not up to date with their product, but don't they offer a lifetime warranty? Weight = Longevity

Back to the point Ronix or Liquid Force? I'm bias when I say LF because Jimmy Redmond is in my eye's the best designer period. But I also have tremendous respect for the Obriens and what Ronix is doing. Ride them both, then chose the one that fits you.
Old     (deltawakerider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-21-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
and thats that...
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-21-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
heck yes theres the facts it is what is.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-22-2006, 1:17 PM Reply   

quote:

Jimmy Redmond is in my eye's the best designer period.

I would agree with that. I'm not saying that other companies don't make good shapes, but Jimmy knows his stuff.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-22-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
Am I the only one that thinks Hyperlite's 07 graphics are absolutely hideous?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-22-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
let me guess...you think cwb graphics are the best.

i think hyperlite's graphics are some of the best they've had in a long time.
Old    innov8actionsports.com            12-22-2006, 1:36 PM Reply   
I think the 07 Hyperlite Syn series looks sick.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-22-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
i like the murray, era and 3ds are pretty sweet...simple and clean, yet still carries a nice design.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-23-2006, 6:30 PM Reply   
I actually like CWB and Liquid Force this year. The Murray and Syn aren't bad.. the rest are pretty ugly in my opinion.
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-23-2006, 10:25 PM Reply   
This is the first year in like HISTROY... that teh premier looks good... and when I say good... it looks really good.... no wierd dood on the top of it or and crazy throw-up colors.... big improvment...

As for best graphics this year so far....

I think CWB is winning... there stuff looks sick....
Old     (fbricard)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-23-2006, 11:20 PM Reply   
Agree with Joe, Hyperlite have got a great lineup this year.

But graphics are pretty personal I reckon. Some will like it, some won't.

I personally love the new Byerly, Murray, Syn & Blur from HL. Reckon the Shane from LF is pretty hot as well. CWB has the Transcend that does it for me.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       12-26-2006, 9:15 AM Reply   
I forgot the Byerly, I love the look of that board as well.