Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Camsquared211)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-01-2013, 6:44 PM Reply   
I know I'm not the only one who is wondering... In California I know that the law requires that you don't ride on the bow, gunwale, or transom of a vessel while it is moving. I have often seen people riding on the transom of the boat to pass the tow rope to a wakesurfer. I have also seen people walk out from the boat onto the platform while the boat is moving and just jump right on to the wake. My question is: is there an exception to the "stay seated in the boat rule" when someone is wakesurfing? maybe as long as youre wearing a PFD?

My assumption is that it is Illegal however, I have seen it happen right in front of the sheriff and they didnt do anything.

Anybody have any input? Citing sources is always ideal! No one wants to hear your opinion when it comes to the Law!
Old     (countryguy1717)      Join Date: May 2013       07-01-2013, 7:53 PM Reply   
By on the bow you must mean closed bow because I see people in open bows all the time. Never seen anyone try to ride a closed bow.
Old     (Camsquared211)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-01-2013, 8:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryguy1717 View Post
By on the bow you must mean closed bow because I see people in open bows all the time. Never seen anyone try to ride a closed bow.
Yes, on the bow meaning closed bow. In the bow is ok!
Old    kx250frider617            07-01-2013, 8:31 PM Reply   
It's probably a law that is determined by the officers better judgment. Where some guys could careless and new recruits would generally go by the book and give tickets for everything. Technically, no you can't be on the back hatches or the swim platform and must be seated. Although, I bet if the people on the boat are wasted, they will definitely be pulled over for it.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-01-2013, 10:04 PM Reply   
We just got tickets this weekend for someone passing me the rope while surfing.
My friend was on the transom with his feet on the seat.
(This mind you, was after I was down, and the boat was circling around to pass toss me the rope) the boat was barely moving.

The sheriff pulled us over and gave my friend driving the boat a $302 reckless driving ticket, and myself a $244 ticket as the owner of the boat for being out of compliance.

Sent from my futuristic Apple device while in my office doing nothing.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-01-2013, 10:07 PM Reply   
We were told, "everyone must be FULLY seated while the boat is in motion or making a wake"
Btw the cop was a total prick.

Old     (Camsquared211)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-01-2013, 10:15 PM Reply   
I could understand a sheriff doing that if someone was being rude and or drinking a ton of alcohol but it doesn't sound like that's the case. Maybe his wife left him before his shift started that day. There's nothing more obnoxious than a power hungry man with a gun and a badge.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-01-2013, 10:57 PM Reply   
Nobody had been drinking on the boat, we were all very polite, answered with yes sir no sir, registration etc was current. Also, the person that made us "out of compliance" has done 3 tours over seas, and 2 of my other buddies that were with us were also vets.

A simple warning and letting us know would have sufficed. But I guess he felt the need to hammer down $550 in tickets.

Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-01-2013, 11:01 PM Reply   
I'd bet they can get you for "teak surfing"/“platform dragging” for re-entering a boat wake-surfing (surfing up to the swim platform). You'd be hard pressed to argue it in court. In San Joaquin county it's about a $395 ticket for passenger gunnel riding, etc.

Here the text for the cliff-notes version of the CA boating laws;

Reckless or Negligent Operation of a Vessel No person shall operate any vessel or manipulate any water skis, aquaplane or similar device in a reckless or negligent manner so as to endanger the life, limb or property of any person. Examples of such operation include, but are not limited to:

Riding on the bow, gunwale or transom of a vessel under way, propelled by machinery, when such position is not protected by railing or other reasonable deterrent to falling overboard or riding in a position or manner that is obviously dangerous. These provisions shall not apply to a vessel’s crew in the act of anchoring, mooring or making fast to a dock or another vessel, or in the necessary management of a sail.

Maneuvering towed skiers or devices so as to pass the towline over another vessel or its skier.

Navigating a vessel, skis or other devices between a towing vessel and its tow or tows.

Operating under the influence of intoxicants or narcotics. Other actions such as speeding in confined or restricted areas, “buzzing” or “wetting down” others, or skiing at prohibited times or in restricted areas can also be considered reckless or negligent operations
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-02-2013, 9:12 AM Reply   
I got a ticket around $600 a few years back on the Delta because I clicked the boat into gear because the current was pushing me into some dead trees in the water. A a rider was putting on his board on the swim step at the time. The cop was a DICK.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-02-2013, 11:56 AM Reply   
Oh how i miss California....

Not
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-02-2013, 12:22 PM Reply   
My sister used to work for the Los Angeles County Superior Court for 10+years before moving to Seattle. She stated that tickets in California aren't the worst part...she said it's the additional "penalty assessment fees" that can double or triple the original ticket cost. Glad I live in Texas but Texas has the same laws as far as being seated INSIDE the boat
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-02-2013, 6:17 PM Reply   
These stories you guys tell are out of this world. I can't believe how awful your cops treat you. We have never seen a Canadian officer treat people like this. Stuart and RM, sorry you had to deal with such pri?#s.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-05-2013, 1:33 PM Reply   
I better knock on wood because I've never had a bad experience with the water popo. The deputies that patrol the Sacramento river area are always cool.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-05-2013, 5:40 PM Reply   
My lake has like 4-6 officers to cover a lake with almost 500mi of coastline.. we rarely see them, and when we do - they're usually nice enough (haven't hassled anyone I know as long as I've been here).
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-06-2013, 8:45 AM Reply   
what does "out of compliance" mean?
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-06-2013, 10:13 AM Reply   
Fascist cops.
Old     (Launch22)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-07-2013, 6:12 AM Reply   
Out of control regulation? I can't imagine that being the case in California. Well I can't say much, it's becoming the same here in West Virginia . They want to regulate everything we do. Some things have to be left to personal responsibility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       07-07-2013, 8:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denystaucd View Post
Riding on the bow, gunwale or transom of a vessel under way, propelled by machinery, when such position is not protected by railing or other reasonable deterrent to falling overboard or riding in a position or manner that is obviously dangerous. These provisions shall not apply to a vessel’s crew in the act of anchoring, mooring or making fast to a dock or another vessel, or in the necessary management of a sail.
Since it says "these provisions shall not apply to a vessel's crew in the act of anchoring, mooring making fast to a dock or another vessel, or in the necessary management of a sail." It sounds like you need to attach a tiny sail to your ski pylon, and if the hydro-popos pull you over for getting out of your seat, tell them you were hoisting the jib to starboard. The presence of a sail and your mastery of nautical terms will surely impress them enough to let you off.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       07-07-2013, 9:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftskir View Post
what does "out of compliance" mean?
"Out of compliance" means you get a massive ticket by a cop wanting to be a very vague prick

Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-07-2013, 11:03 PM Reply   
You must be seated in the boat while the boat is in motion. Ignorance to the laws does not mean you do not get a ticket. If you do not know your local laws, you probably should not be operating a boat in the first place. I find it funny how people break the law, get a fine, then complain that they were fined. chalk it up to a life learning lesson, and move on.

Another example of why boaters should need licenses.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-08-2013, 12:03 AM Reply   
^^^ Hard to argue with that. Dave, you must be one of those old over 30 guys talking all that sense. ;-)
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-09-2013, 7:05 AM Reply   
I guess so, but I'll tell you what, "you can't fix stupid! There ain't pill you can swallow, there's no class you can take, stupid is forever!" ~ Ron White
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-09-2013, 8:16 AM Reply   
What was the code on the "out of compliance" ticket?

there must be a law you were "out of compliance" with so what law was it?