Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-26-2009, 2:18 PM Reply   
Anyone ever ride Glendo in Wyoming?

Any spots to avoid? Any tips?

What are good campsites?
I am going up early next month for a camping trip and it is my first time going there.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-26-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
Glendo is awesome. Even on the weekends there is usually decent water to be found most of the day.
I haven't made it up there this year but as of last year camping sites were mostly just grab a spot and
set up. Any where in the Whiskey Gulch area is good usually. Never have used the reservable spots. Best thing to do is if you are going for a weekend is to get up there before 2 in the afternoon before spots get crowded. During the week it's usually not crowded at all.

http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/Site/SiteInfo.asp?siteID=6

http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/Site/FeeInfo.asp?siteID=6
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-26-2009, 2:54 PM Reply   
The lake is really full right now if the info is correct on the boating report.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-26-2009, 2:56 PM Reply   
I've seen your boat out on Boyd before too Abe, really sharp. Any more questions just let me know.
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-26-2009, 5:15 PM Reply   
thanks bill, pull me over sometime and we can hang. I am usually out with my family just messing around.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-26-2009, 7:12 PM Reply   
we are going to glendo this coming weekend we usually camp on the east side of the lake in cotton wood cove or at indian point sandy beach are mostly reservable sites now cotton wood and indian point are first come first serve
Old     (viktorya)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-27-2009, 8:42 AM Reply   
Im from Denver and we usually head to Glendo once a year, its a great lake. However they drain it once a year, you might want to check it out and see when they are doing that. It is usually towards the end of the season if I remember right. Sandy Beach is the party part of the lake for sure, its got beach that you can camp right on. Its the only placed we have every stayed.

Have you ever tried Guernsey out? Its beautiful! Another great Lake in Wyoming.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-27-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
Glendo is as full as I've ever seen it, been going up there for well over a decade now. Just got back about a week ago.

The Canyon is my favorite area to ride. Tends to have flat water most of the time and seems to be warmer.

Sandy beach doesn't really have a beach right now, due to the water level, and the rules have changed about camping on the beach. Also it's too far a drive back to town for gas or anything else, 13 miles.
Old     (wake_pop)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-27-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
Glendo is a great place to go. Camp anywhere you want to on the water and pull your boat right up to your camp spot. When the water is up Whiskey Gulch is perfect for camping with lots of trees and close to the marina for gas and ice. I also liked Red Hills but it's a little farther away. It does, however, have a low water ramp for when they start draining it. There's also some nice reserved campsites past the marina in the trees but it's way above the lake (great view though) and you have to put your boat in and out each day. It's usually down by this time but I would believe Chris that's it's way up with all the rain we've had. Even when they pull the plug and it's 60-70' down, it's still a great lake.