Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (jswake)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-12-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
Anyone know of any good wakeboard teams besides Florida colleges?
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-12-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
Virginia Tech.
Old     (jswake)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-12-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
Do they have a private lake and about how many people are in the club
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-12-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
Central Washington University has a pretty legit team. Seeing that your from Washington you should check us out. We ride on the at Vantage all the time. We got third at Colligate Regionals and we are going to Nationals in the spring.
Old     (qjeezy34)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-12-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
Valdosta State University in GA... Self made team no school money but we got it hooked up to ride at Gravity Research and we make trips to ride regularly, plus we have a winch and hidden a winch park "The Bayou."
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-12-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
I don't really keep up with the college teams, but I would bet that Texas State University - San Marcos has the best team right now. Texas Ski Ranch is only a 10 minute drive away, so all the riders practice almost year round, and they have Tom Fooshee and Bret Little.. Tom was on the front cover of wakeboard mag August 07, took 4th at this years bro stock double up (beating a ton of big name riders (Ex. Malinowski)) and is the world cable champion 2008. Bret little is a lesser known wakeskater, but is probably ranked in the top 10, and is also a wakeskate cable national champion.

Ken Land
Bullet Lines
www.bulletlines.com
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-12-2008, 10:33 AM Reply   
Sacramento State and Chico State come to mind out here on the West Coast.

Sac State has some heavy hitters
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-12-2008, 10:46 AM Reply   
UW-Madison had a few good guys, I know two of them graduated ...

IL has a few guys too who are pretty good.

but if you're looking for a school to go to and wakeboard, I would avoid the midwest, winter blows
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-12-2008, 10:50 AM Reply   
Not a private lake, but us cool folks at Virginia Tech ride at a small lake about half an hour from campus. Other than angry fishermen, during the school year, it's pretty dead, and there is usually glass every weekday afternoon when we ride. Weekends can get busy, but usually only when it's really, really nice out or a holiday. There are about 20 members in the club. Not sure on an exact number. We have a couple of members who can really throw down though. I wish I could say I am one of them, but no, I just eat crap regularly. And film.

But, seeing as how you are from Washington, listen to the other Nick.
Old     (eyekahn)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-12-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
UNCW
Old     (truebeachbum)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-12-2008, 11:11 AM Reply   
texas A&M
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-12-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
I would also say Sac State and Chico state. I second that sac has some heavy hitters!
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-12-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
yeah sac has some heavy hitter but i live in chico.... so i rep chico.. alot of sacs heavy hitters should be graduating so who knows now
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-12-2008, 12:36 PM Reply   
Sac State has an awesome team and you'll be in California. can't beat that! We do pretty well for ourselves down at Texas A&M, second at nationals, and a lot of our guys are really stylish and not just tech.

here's a video of two of my roommates. they shred.

Old    star_star            11-12-2008, 12:42 PM Reply   
i have heard that the university of mississippi/ole miss rebels have a highly competitive team. they had two entrants in the pwt last year at acworth.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-12-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
Im pretty sure UF just won the national wakeboarding champoionships, surprised noone mentioned them.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-12-2008, 1:24 PM Reply   
never mind the post says besides florida haha
Yeah Virginia Tech is good
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-12-2008, 1:41 PM Reply   
Bellevue Community College!
Old     (bhileman)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-12-2008, 1:48 PM Reply   
We are getting things started back up here at Arizona State. We had a club/team together a couple year ago, but it kind of died out so we are starting it back up. We have a large club aspect and hopefully next year we will get our team back in full gear. And we ride year around
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-12-2008, 1:55 PM Reply   
I know Western Washington Univ. used to have a legit team. Haven't heard much though since the Ennen's and Bret V left there though.

They have a couple of super nice flat, calm, and even a private lake that they ride on.
Old     (jswake)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-12-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
I want to go check out the central washington campus sometime for sure. I saw you guys took 3rd on alliance congrats! How far away is Central from Koppert?
Old     (cweed)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-12-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
According to google maps about 173 miles :-)
Old     (jswake)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-12-2008, 4:22 PM Reply   
haha thanks! When is nationals and where?
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-12-2008, 4:30 PM Reply   
Central is about 3 hours from Koppert, driving over White pass. I know this cause I drove to the Fall Classic on Oct. 4 cause thats what it said on koppert's website.... but apparently they changed it and it wasn't til the next weekend.......

But if you ever want to check out the campus get in touch with me and we'll show you around, you might even get a pull if its that time of year.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-12-2008, 5:31 PM Reply   
Nick, didn't see you at the fall Classic, did you roll back the next weekend?
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-12-2008, 6:39 PM Reply   
Nick, glad to see your carrying the torch and taking the club to the next level. Congrats on the 3rd place! The CWU Wakesports team is really coming up fast especially for a team that can't ride year round. They are lucky to have you and the rest of the guys on the team busting your asses. Maybe when I get a bit more clout I will be able to set you guys up better from my position. Let me know how I can help you guys out. Cant wait for another winch session @ people's pond! This club is defiantly one to check out.

Corey @ Hyperlite & former VP of CWU Wakesports Club
Old     (mikesteppie)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-12-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
I also would like to say ditto to what corey said! Also, cor you are one of the Founding Fathers of that club/team! Not just a former VP! If you had not been there it would have not been possible.

As for winching spots CWU has some special spots as well as multiple rails and a grinch winch (which is $$ in the winter/Snow). I also heard they are getting close on access to a nearby private lake.

Also, everyone that is apart of the CWU Wake team has been quite passionate about riding and progressing the sport along with first and foremost having a good time! Apparently they aren't too bad either since they never had competed in collegiate prior to regionals this year where they got 3rd.
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-12-2008, 7:21 PM Reply   
Just out of curiousity, when did the CWU team start? When I was looking at colleges in 2002-2003, I did not know one existed. I may have actually gone to the main campus if had known that.
Old     (mikesteppie)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-12-2008, 7:30 PM Reply   
Corey and I started it spring 04 but, didn't officially get recognized by the University until the following year.

Also, as for good riders at CWU they just got a freshman who was 3rd in the Junior Men's Division at the Tige' Pro AM and who also won the Bake's NWI Double Up contest this past year.

(Message edited by mikesteppie on November 12, 2008)
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-12-2008, 7:50 PM Reply   
Thanks! To bad it wasn't a year earlier
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-12-2008, 11:36 PM Reply   
Yeah I didn't make it back the next weekend, the drive was too far to do again when I had another place I could ride that weekend.

Thanks, Corey and Mike. Just following the path you guys set for us.

Dude, I'm hoping with all this flooding a pond sess might be happening pretty soon! Hopefully we can drag some of our rails down there too. Also Corey we definitely want to do some kind of demo this spring if at all possible. I'm sure we'll be in touch.
And I Mike I got a really fun mini event I want to do in the spring I might need your help setting it up. I got to talk to Thomas some more about to make sure he's down. But if it happens it will be EPIC.
Old     (jswake)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-13-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
I am def going to come up and check out the campus and I'll let ya know when. I broke my femur and strained my acl over the summer so Ill wait a little to come up there and hopefully get a pull. Thanks guys
Old     (fixer_o_stuff)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-13-2008, 11:24 AM Reply   
If you choose to go to Sac State schedule your classes on Tuesday, Thursday, cuz we ride monday, wednesday, and friday. We get a new Super Air 210 each year. Have a $4 million boating safety center supporting us, and we will begin having regular rail jams on campus each semester. We do have some incredible riders, but all abilities are welcome as long as they have a good time!