Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old     (p_b_parks)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-11-2004, 12:18 AM Reply   
yo guys, just wondering when do you begin and end your seasons? I ride end of june till end of august/ beginning of september. this year comin im gonna try to ride from end of may - beginning of september
cheers,
Adam

(Message edited by p_b_parks on October 11, 2004)
Old    sumbody            10-11-2004, 12:23 AM Reply   
i don't kno do u
Old     (jorellz)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-11-2004, 12:32 AM Reply   
Beginning of May - mid/end of October ( but only 1 or twice in Oct.

but its damn cold!!! lol

Jase
Old    byerly137pro            10-11-2004, 9:34 AM Reply   
I start in about late May and my last time out was in the middle of September and the water was 64. I would still be going but can't convince anyone else to come ride.
Old     (p_b_parks)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-12-2004, 4:46 AM Reply   
how cold is the water in may? is it about as cold as 64 in september?
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-12-2004, 7:35 AM Reply   
57 degrees here in Wasaga Beach last Saturday. We were out in it, but the set was a little shorter than most times. I can't go out this week, so I figure that's it for me this year. I'll take the boat in for winterizing tomorrow. Sucks!

BTW, anyone lookin for another board? Check the classifieds, I've got a package in there.
Old    lunaraven            10-12-2004, 9:34 AM Reply   
Was out yesterday, air temp was 10degC when I launched at 8am. Wore a full suit, thermos of green tea, went home after lunch air temp was 17degC. My last day of 2003 was Nov. long weekend. My first day this year was Feb 25.
I have to wear gloves and a hood in early spring and I have oversized "winter bindings" which allow me to wear neopreme socks.
Still beats standing in line at the lifts...
Old     (p_b_parks)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-12-2004, 1:57 PM Reply   
dude, props. but isnt there still snow and ice wat did you crack a hole in the lake and ride? lol
Old    lunaraven            10-12-2004, 2:19 PM Reply   
Nah, didnt need the auger yet. I'm on the West Coast so it only snows in the mountains most of the time. I dont even own a snow shovel.
I will check the lake temp when I go out next either tommorow or thurs.
Old    byerly137pro            10-12-2004, 4:47 PM Reply   
The water in May is like 57-64 depends on the circumstance. I still think Rick P wins the award for most Punk Ass Canuck riding till November, way to go there champ.
Old    edward            10-12-2004, 5:46 PM Reply   
man i thought i had it bad! props to you rick
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-13-2004, 7:12 AM Reply   
middle may to mid sept !!
first time water at 55 degrees with no wet suit, i was feeling like a little boy of 9 y/o
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-18-2004, 10:29 AM Reply   
The water temp on Saturday in BC was 55 when we first checked, then 59 later (not sure why it varies so much). Our season is usually April to October, then snowboarding season kicks in.
Old     (p_b_parks)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-18-2004, 2:10 PM Reply   
wait but all u BC guys does it ever get really hot during the summer?
Old    lunaraven            10-19-2004, 8:27 AM Reply   
Most are "hot" in July and August as all the mountain runoff has long since melted and the sun heats the water up nicely. But the hot days bring summer winds and the tards of summer turning your butter to chop.
Old     (wes_can_riders)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-19-2004, 9:47 PM Reply   
Im from Vancouver, im still out wakeskating... on good days around 17 but last weekand it was 10 ... tough stuff, Im only wearing a wetsuit but im gunna tough it as long as I can...
Old    dusty            10-24-2004, 3:26 PM Reply   
Does anyone ride at Sylvan Lake, AB?
Old    bradey_132            10-27-2004, 4:52 PM Reply   
i got to sylvan every summer and my friend ben lives there and runs the h20 wakeboard thingy
Old     (wes_can_riders)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-28-2004, 7:09 PM Reply   
bradey... did you see that you got on the TSN highlights for nationals... you probably dont remember but im that kid who was doing the annoucing
Old    bradey_132            10-28-2004, 7:40 PM Reply   
i didn't see the highlights but thats cool
Old    lunaraven            11-02-2004, 11:42 AM Reply   
Halloween was all right.

oct31
Old     (wes_can_riders)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-02-2004, 6:03 PM Reply   
nice pic, I was riding on the deas slough the saterday before halloween... my hands where so cold!!!
Old    lunaraven            11-04-2004, 8:41 AM Reply   
I picked up one of them Coleman Blackcat flameless propane heaters which made a difference in keeping the hands functional and the driver alive.
You find any decent gloves? My MEC's are too thick to use.
Old     (wes_can_riders)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-04-2004, 10:29 PM Reply   
nope, last time out i used some fox racing gloves that didn't really help... when I got in the boat i threw on some snowboard gloves
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-05-2004, 8:30 AM Reply   
We just use regular waterski gloves. One time late last year I tried a pair of diving gloves, and couldn't figure out why my hands couldn't maintain a grip after a few minutes! We pulled the boat out on Halloween, I think the temp was around 40. It's time for snowboarding!
Old    lunaraven            11-05-2004, 9:03 AM Reply   
What brand and where did you get the gloves at Lucky?
I have never tried snowboarding but from years of skiing I found that I hate lift lineups, rocks, and lugging equipment around.
I'm heading to the lake tommorow.
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-05-2004, 10:48 AM Reply   
I'm not sure what brand they are, but if you go into any board shop they will have them. I know Connelly makes some. They help... but nothing is perfect. The water is still bloody cold.

We usually board from April to end of October, then the boat comes out and gets winterized and goes into a heated storage facility. Where do you keep your boat in the winter? Do you winterize it or keep it warm?
Old    byerly137pro            11-05-2004, 2:00 PM Reply   
Did any of you see October issue of Wakeboard Magazine, it featured a lot of awesome articles about some Candian talent, such as Rusty, and my Nautique dealer Neil is on the rear cover and is on the inside too.
Old    lunaraven            11-05-2004, 2:03 PM Reply   
I keep the boat warm at my home.
I've tried several types of gloves and found them all to be either to thick or ineffective.

Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-05-2004, 2:37 PM Reply   
Our boat won't fit in our garage, so we can't keep it warm. I don't want to deal with outdoor heaters either.

I'll look and see what kind they are. The diving gloves were definitely too thick, but the waterski gloves seem to work. They aren't especially warm at this time of year, but it's better than nothing.

Which board stores do you usually frequent? We either hit the Board Room or Performance in Langley (the Malibu dealer). I hope he has some gloves in stock because we need another pair!
Old    lunaraven            11-05-2004, 3:45 PM Reply   
Performance has a decent selection and there prices are often not too bad, BoardRoom obviously pays more rent so i find them more $...Theres a shop (?) I always hit in Penticton in late fall, they always have good clearance deals. I have also bought some goods off of Shuswap's Mike Gazely, Grizzly Sports in Wash. And of course Ebay, havent been fleeced so far.
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-05-2004, 3:52 PM Reply   
We buy a fair bit of stuff from Performance because we get an additional 15% off (since we bought the Malibu from him). Same for the Malibu place in Kelowna. Haven't been to Penticton lately.

I also like Shuswap - we've bought a fair bit of stuff from him in the past. We bought a wakeskate off him in the summer. He was going to have to move his shop as they were going to level his building and put up condos, so he wasn't sure where he was going to go.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-07-2004, 4:26 PM Reply   
Midmay- late September.
Old    lunaraven            11-08-2004, 8:05 AM Reply   
15% off, nice....nukes the tax anyway.

Do you go up to Shuswap in the summer or just order online? I have never wakeboarded there but I took a houseboat trip for a couple weeks in the 90's (dont remember much but beer body bowling)

I was out again yesterday, not so much as a ripple on the water.
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-08-2004, 8:31 AM Reply   
We usually go up to Kelowa for a week in the summer. Last year we went to the Shuswap for the weekend (a family thing), then headed to Kelowna on Sunday. The Shuswap was ok, but we weren't used to so much rollers from other boats. Where we go in the channels the reeds on the sides really baffle the waves. We don't order online from the Shuswap, but have bought a bunch of stuff from him when he's here for the Boat show.

We were looking into houseboat rentals while we were there. Sounds like fun!

I bet it was nice yesterday. Sigh - our boat is now getting winterized.
Old     (wes_can_riders)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-08-2004, 4:31 PM Reply   
i get 15% off at the boardroom, i used to help them alot at comps and the shop before I got on with Liquid Force...

check out Boat and Board Shop out in richmand... full supply of LF product, ran by the Heer Family, yes you heard me jeff heers parents and sister...
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-09-2004, 9:27 AM Reply   
Yes, but the only problem with them is that they are only open Monday to Friday, business hours only! Great if you don't work...

The only time I've ever seen their stuff is at the Boat Show.
Old    lunaraven            11-09-2004, 11:38 AM Reply   
I dont understand why businesses like that would not stay open on Saturday and close Monday. I guess they only want business from the independantly wealthy, the unemployed, and people who sneak away from work to do personal things.
Old    andrew_clough            11-09-2004, 8:58 PM Reply   
Hey Guys.....
All you west coast riders looking for hot deals on LF product check out Cove Watersports. Drop me an email andrew@covewatersports.com and I'll get you all the gear you need. Boat & Board shop is trying to maintain itself as a distributor not as a retailler. Might be why they have the odd hours.
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-11-2004, 5:05 PM Reply   
Rick, I finally remembered to check our gloves. They are O'briens, and it says Amara Palm on them. They are probably 4-5 years old, and have done quite well. Our friend has already had to replace his. We've been looking for another pair because they seem to be shrinking over the years and don't fit my husband as well. It's tough to find a good pair!
Old    lunaraven            11-12-2004, 9:24 AM Reply   
I'll pick up a pair thanks. I was out yesterday for the Rememberance day stat from 11-4...Gorgeous weather, not a ripple on the water.
Old     (wes_can_riders)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-13-2004, 2:45 PM Reply   
Lucky Charms, ive seen your boat before... im in winfield all the time in the summmer.. did you compete on the BC tour?
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-13-2004, 4:41 PM Reply   
Ha ha Evan, you gave me a good laugh!!! I'm nowhere near competing status!

We take the boat up to Turtle bay for a week each summer. Although this year we were late getting up there and the weather sucked. Maybe you've seen us around Delta - we usually ride on the 5 fingers side of the Slough.
Old     (wes_can_riders)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-13-2004, 5:20 PM Reply   
if you can jump the wake you can compete... I live in delta, i ride there alot, I ride behind a red Mobius... nope never seen your boat in the slough
Old    tribal            11-14-2004, 7:51 AM Reply   
You should try surfing gloves.They won't last too long but they will definately keep your hands warm.You guys are hardcore still riding.I winterized the boat a month ago.What lake are you still riding at rick?
Old     (p_b_parks)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-14-2004, 9:19 AM Reply   
props to all you guys. the only problem i have is that my fam dont wanna sit on the lake in their winter coats while i ride they want "enjoyable" weather
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-14-2004, 11:27 AM Reply   
no, I'm into wakeboarding for the fun of it. I'm only in competition with my husband and other regular riders!

Is it the red Mobius the one the dealer owns? We keep running into that guy at the dock, and even up at Turtle bay! It has stickers all over it, from what I remember. We don't ride on the Deas Slough side - we go in 5 Fingers. We rode in Deas Slough once, and it was nutz. Boats everywhere, everyone's wake to contend with.

Sean, we pulled the boat out at the end of Oct. I can see why you're not riding anymore, you've got glacial water to contend with!

WakeXtreme - that's why we got a heater on the boat! Between that and the large fuzzy blanket, everyone's warm!
Old     (wes_can_riders)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-14-2004, 11:36 AM Reply   
Tribal, i saw a pair of oniel ones at the Boardroom but I need to save my money for young drivers cource coming soon...

Lucky Charms, yes the red one the dealer owns, I ride for him Flatwater boats.. im his demo rider.. it doesn't have stickers on it... ya i understand what you mean about the wake problems in the slough part.. one day i was wakeskating in there and the nutz where there too.... man that sucked!!!
Old    lunaraven            11-15-2004, 8:50 AM Reply   
I'm riding at Allouette Sean, mainly cause its the closest water to my house as its probably the coldest in the GVRD. The docks are out for the winter and the water is low but at least the 5000 people a day who are out there in the summer are not around.
Where do you ride?
Old    tribal            11-20-2004, 1:34 PM Reply   
Rick I usually ride at anderson lk about an hour north of whistler [1/2 hr from my place].Never freeze's but it would be damn cold now.
Old    lunaraven            11-22-2004, 9:25 AM Reply   
Yeah I work with a Slalom skier junkie who has a place on Anderson, nice lake. I was out on Allouette yesterday. You live in Pemberton or Whistler?
Old    tribal            11-22-2004, 11:05 AM Reply   
Yeah there's a couple of those slalom guy's on the lake.Have you been there?
I live just outside of Pemberton.
My wake gear is put away for the season.I'd go surfing now [Island] but waking and that windchill,brrr.What do you wear on your feet, wetsuit socks?
Old    lunaraven            11-22-2004, 3:36 PM Reply   
Yeah I wear neopreme socks from MEC and oversized bindings, its really not as cold as you would expect other than the first dip. Ive been to Anderson but its been several years.
Winter surfing on the Island can't be much warmer than waking, at least I can warm up on the boat.
You surf @ Toffino or you have a secret spot?

Old    tribal            11-22-2004, 4:07 PM Reply   
Tofino is more of a summer spot.Winter is for the reefs.I don't get out there much in the winter anymore though,working too much.Basically if I don't get out there in the next few weeks I can forget about it untill May.
Look me up if you want to come out this way some time.Anderson has plenty of glass.
Old     (wes_can_riders)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-22-2004, 6:29 PM Reply   
just to let you guys know from BC im selling my 05 LF Substance 138 with LF alphas 04 L

for 600$ obo
Old    lunaraven            11-23-2004, 4:02 PM Reply   
Sean I would like to try Anderson, when your back at it in the spring drop me a line and I'll be there (with gas $)

"Winter is for the reefs" Where is the reefs?
Old    tribal            11-24-2004, 7:33 AM Reply   
Rick I'm back from work in May so I'll drop you a line then to hook up sometime to ride.

Sorry can't answer that second question.But check out the vid 5mm Canada if you want to see the reefs going off.Good Canadian culture too.