Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 10, 2008

Old     (skatehawk11)      Join Date: May 2008       07-07-2008, 9:50 PM Reply   
I ride behind a sea ray i/o and im thinking about putting a hydrofoil on the outdrive to put the boat on plane quicker. However my buddy has the same boat as me cept his is outboard and he has a hydrofoil on his. I havent ridden behind it in a long time but it seems like it might help shape the wake a little nicer. Is this true or is it just illusion, or does it have nothing to do with the foil? Whats are your all opinions on this? does anyone have a foil to help the wake?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-07-2008, 10:41 PM Reply   
Get a Hydrofoil! I've used the Stingray brand with great results. Others might be as good but I don't have any direct knowledge on them.

The boat planes much faster with much less bow rise. You can hold speed much better, especially at wake speeds. You wind up using less gas because the performance is so improved.

You get up on plane then trim up to shape the wake. Still use lots of bow weight or have people sit up there. Cheap performance, and my kids thought the whale tail looked cool.
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-08-2008, 6:48 AM Reply   
The best one made is Bills Machine Shop in FL. It wont bother the steering at high speeds and wont break you cavataion plat on you drive
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-08-2008, 10:54 AM Reply   
You'll get some shape at the expense of size. Your best option is to weight the heck out of the front and trim up as until your wake cleans up. Your next best option would be self-adjusting trim tabs like a Smart Tab that only deploy to prevent porpoising after you've planed. The third best option would be a foil similar to the Stingray. I use a foil myself but if I had to do it over again, I probably would've gone for the Smart Tabs.
Old     (slowjet)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-08-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
Get it!!!, I have a Sea Ray I/O also and just put one on over the winter. I used Fat Sacs in the bow (usually 440) and trimmed up last year and wake was good. But the foil with the weight and trim help tons. My wake is more firm and larger. (hehe) No but really, get one, I bought the Stingray from Academy for around $50.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-08-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
Yeah they work well, with the trim tab your prop isn't sticking out into nowhere behind the boat it is sitting under the foil. Also gets up on plane faster for sure, ours lines up with the hull line at the stern (not sure if they all do that, probably...) so it's sort of a hull extension.