Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-11-2012, 9:09 AM Reply   
I need a new battery for my 09' 2500 Dodge. Since I plan on having this truck for a long time I don't want to skimp and have to buy another battery in 2 years. Do you think it is worth the money to go with an Optima?

This is my daily driver, I use it for work towing and hauling and the winters here can get a bit cold so starting in the morning is concern.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-11-2012, 10:19 AM Reply   
For a daily driver/regular application, no, IMO, they are not worth the extra money. I would go with the largest LAWC you can fit. This will offer the most CCA's, Ah's and RC. That should far exceed an Optima.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-11-2012, 2:37 PM Reply   
Forgive my ignorance but what is a LAWC?
Old     (yjwrangler95)      Join Date: Oct 2011       11-11-2012, 2:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaegermaster View Post
Optima's aren't what they used to be. Odyssey makes a great battery, much better than an optima in my opinion. We offroad quite a bit and Odyssey seems to be outlasting the Optima's. Sears Diehard Platinum's are a rebaged Odyssey.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-11-2012, 2:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaegermaster View Post
plain old 20th century Lead Acid Wet Cell battery
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-11-2012, 3:04 PM Reply   
Thanks Mike and Derek. I have read that the Diehard Platinum's are pretty good. I just want a really good battery. Nothing sucks worse than a dead battery when you are stuck in the middle of nowhere. My wife's Jetta also needs a new one. I was shocked to find they are around $145.

Thanks again for the info.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-11-2012, 3:29 PM Reply   
I don't think an agm and especially optima's are worth the money for your application. I would do an interstate or Deka. Deka actually makes a high silver battery that I would consider a premium wet cell battery that is maintenance free. Also Deka makes this same basic battery for Duracell and the duracell has a 3 year free replacement warranty that will also pay for any towing bills as a result of a bad battery. Dekas/duracells are made in the USA as well. Not sure if you are ever over in the Seattle area but my company is a dealer for Deka and Duracell. Let me know if I can help you.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-11-2012, 4:10 PM Reply   
Thanks for the offer Brett. I just priced out a Diehard Platinum for $219. Not sure when we are coming to Seattle again but if we do and I haven't bought a battery by then I'll hit you up. I'll need to do it pretty soon though. 26 degrees this morning and getting colder.