Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-16-2012, 12:42 PM Reply   
Anyone have any experience with them as tow vehicles? I'm about to purchase an '06 Sequoia for towing my 24SSV. I'm parting with my '98 4Runner with 211k miles, had zero problems with it and plan on staying a Toyota guy but don't want a Tundra (really need the enclosed cargo). I'm getting a price on it I'm happy with and it's very clean, just wanted to touch base with those who may have experience with them. They changed the body style in '08 so I'm talking about the 02-07 body style. I know the engine was tweaked in '05 but I'm not sure how that affects performance or towing in comparison to the earlier models. It seemed to have a lot of get up and go from a dead stop, more than the F-150 FX4 I've been towing it with for four years.

Appreciate it all.
Old     (luke22885)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-16-2012, 12:50 PM Reply   
I towed my supra 21v with my brothers 03 sequoia and it did just fine. No issues at all when i towed it home from detroit to chicago. On a side note, that is one of the most comfortable big suvs i have been in, nothing but good things to say about it
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-16-2012, 1:11 PM Reply   
You have a big boat so I would not do it. I am pretty sure you would be over the tow rating for the vehicle of weight distribution 6500 lbs. So the limit is more like 4000 - 5000lbs.

If you do it anyway your going to notice it pushing the vehicle around compared to the f-150. Also going to need to get a tranny cooler for sure and make sure you have a good tow rating on the tires. The sequoia will not have an issue on the ramp unless you use a really bad ramp someplace. We use the same model sequoia at our lake house for a 22ssv. But its only used to drop the boat in the water never to tow for more than a mile or two.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-16-2012, 1:19 PM Reply   
I had an 05 tundra and towed an A22 Axis. I would not hesitate using it to tow the a22 or a larger boat short distances but it struggled towing up hills. We actually purchased a place within a mile of a lake and now I wish I had that truck back (it would be perfect for launching and retrieving the boat)... It was an excellent all around truck, just lacked long distance towing capabilities.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-16-2012, 1:20 PM Reply   
Mark , Ed and Mike, thanks for the replies.

I'm not towing very far either, towing about 3 or 4 miles from where I keep the boat and once or twice a season I'll venture about 15 miles to try some new ramp out.

Mark, do you have the two wheel drive or the four wheel drive model? This is the two wheel drive model and was wondering how the ramp would be. I never used 4 wheel drive in the F-150 to pull the boat out so I didn't think it'd be necessary for the Sequoia either, but ya never know. The ramp I use most frequently has a very flat and long slope so it should be ok. The Boatmate trailer has electric brakes and they work really well so I would hope it wouldn't push the boat around.
Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-16-2012, 1:35 PM Reply   
You wouldn't have any problems with a Sequoia. I've pulled a 230 SAN with my 03 tundra for about 18 miles and up a couple big hills with no problems.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-16-2012, 1:36 PM Reply   
Its a two wheel drive. Some of our launches are steep without moss and we really don't have any issues. The pushing around that I mentioned was at speeds 50+ going down 2 lane roads around the corners and up and down inclines no breaking involved really just normal country driving around the lakes here.

The boat mate trailers are great IMO we love ours. Good luck.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-16-2012, 1:48 PM Reply   
I would launch and retrieve on a steep slippery ramp with a 2wd tundra and not have too many issues. Every once in a while I would have to give the boat some gas to help push the truck up the ramp. With the extra weight in the back from an SUV you should be able to pull your boat out on a long sloping ramp fairly easy. If you ever get in trouble and can't get traction, throw some wet towels under the rear wheels - that should get you enough traction to get started.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-16-2012, 3:17 PM Reply   
Ed, that's a good idea haha.

I've boosted a truck before with a boat when the truck couldn't pull the boat out so that's always an option too, just want to have worry free use ya know.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-17-2012, 5:01 AM Reply   
The newer sequioa versions have a 10,000 lb towing capacity. However, when I hooked up my X45 (granted it has about 500 lbs of steel weight in the bow) it bottomed out the suspension. The V8 is a torquey little engine, but overall very poor fuel economy. We traded my wifes in because we both hated it so much.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-17-2012, 7:25 AM Reply   
Deal fell through on the '06. Good news is I found an '03 4X4 with the same miles for less $, going to check it out soon. Thanks for all the replies!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-17-2012, 8:57 AM Reply   
been towing, launching and retrieving with my 2003 Sequoia well since 2003. Towed a up to a few hundred miles one way in mild hills with no problems.

Sequioa weighs in at 6500 lbs dry. I've got a 22' MC with a few hundy in solid weight in it and never had a problem. Damn sure didn't feel like the tail was wagging the dog.

'06 should have the 5.3 (or 5.6?) L engine as opposed to the 4.6 in the earlier models. I've done a few mods to the 4.6 and it does just fine. Cold air intake for now. If Iwas towing any distance I would do headers on it -- really opens up the 4.6. But I like to mod stuff...

Had an issue retrieving on a steep ramp once early in my boating life b/c the bilge was full of water. 2WD Sequoia slipped a tad but pulled the boat and a bunch of water out no problem. Great vehicle. Got 130K on it and its never had anything other than regular maintenance.

FYI if you're buying used, ask about the timing belt service. Scheduled every 90K miles and MUST be done. or the engine will eat itself from the inside out. Just make sure any 100K vehicle has had it done or build it into the purchase price. $900 job with parts and labor. Good luck. Go YOTA.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-17-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
BTW don't get timing belt done at dealer. I think its close to 1500...
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-17-2012, 9:42 AM Reply   
Any idea if the timing belt change is something a person could do by themselves? I don't know whether he's changed the timing belt or not but I didn't know the Sequoia had an interference engine, my 4Runner doesn't so it was never a big worry but that's definitely something I want to find out about.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-17-2012, 11:25 AM Reply   
The 5.7 wasn't an option until the new body style came out in 2008. All 2007 and earlier Sequioa's have the 4.6L with a timing belt.

All V6 engines in the 4Runner have a timing chain.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-17-2012, 11:29 AM Reply   
I suppose it could be done, I thought about doing it myself to save $800. the belt is $70 ish and you need a few gaskets... but I decided against it since this is my daily driver. 98% of folks out there wouldn't tackle it, and I didn't either.

On interference engines... when the belt breaks or jumps a tooth, **** happens. Don't know what engine was in your 4runner.. if a valve is stuck open because the OH cam stops spinning... you get the point.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-17-2012, 11:41 AM Reply   
Don't let the belt be a deal killer, just plan for it. Use it to talk them down. Not sure about 08 and newer if they had belts or chains.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-17-2012, 11:54 AM Reply   
We had both a 2001 and 2002 Sequoia, the model did get better every year. It was 2004 or 2005 they added more hp to the engine, but it was still thte 4.7 liter. We towed our 192 Rinker bowrider and 232 Rinker cuddy. The rear will sag, but you can add airbags for a couple of hundred. Towing short distance is should not me a problem, but the do like the gas.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-17-2012, 11:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
Don't let the belt be a deal killer, just plan for it. Use it to talk them down. Not sure about 08 and newer if they had belts or chains.

Nah, I won't let it be a deal killer, just definitely something I want to think about. Thanks for pointing this out, wouldn't have given it as much weight as I should have had I not known they were interference engines.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-17-2012, 4:37 PM Reply   
Called my Toyota dealer and, after taxes, changing the timing belt is $570 bucks. Not terrible in my opinion, especially considering it's from the local Toyota dealer. He took off a little bit more than the cost of the timing belt when I asked for it so we came to a deal. I'll post pics when all the paperwork is done.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-17-2012, 10:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudontn View Post
Anyone have any experience with them as tow vehicles? I'm about to purchase an '06 Sequoia for towing my 24SSV. I'm parting with my '98 4Runner with 211k miles, had zero problems with it and plan on staying a Toyota guy but don't want a Tundra (really need the enclosed cargo). I'm getting a price on it I'm happy with and it's very clean, just wanted to touch base with those who may have experience with them. They changed the body style in '08 so I'm talking about the 02-07 body style. I know the engine was tweaked in '05 but I'm not sure how that affects performance or towing in comparison to the earlier models. It seemed to have a lot of get up and go from a dead stop, more than the F-150 FX4 I've been towing it with for four years.

Appreciate it all.
I have an '04 Sequoia (4.7L), and tow my Malibu VLX with it, the boat weighs in at about 3,500 lbs plus trailer (1100?), I am guessing with fuel and gear we are around 5500 lbs total tow weight. The sequoia does pretty good, it will stuggle a little on grades, but does fine on flat roads. With 76,000 miles on it right now, I usually avg about 8-9MPG while towing. Never have had any problems with trailer sway or sagging in the rear of the vehicle. I do have 4 wheel disc brakes on my trailer, which makes a significant difference for stopping. The Sequoia is a heavy vehicle, and in my opinion a little under engineered in the braking department.

If I owned anything larger than the VLX, I would definitely be looking at something with a little more power. But any 21-21.5" boat should be fine for the Sequoia, or 5500 lbs total weight. I think the vehicle is rated for 6000 lbs.

I have heard the transmission are the weak link on these vehicles, I usually extract 4-4.5 quarts of ATF fluid every spring through the dipstick and replace with new fluid. It does not get it all out, but I have yet to have any problems with slippage. Make sure it has a transmission cooler on it as well, this makes a big different when towing.

Last edited by fman; 01-17-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-18-2012, 5:35 AM Reply   
fman, didn't you used to have a 24SSV? Did you ever tow it with your Sequoia?
Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-18-2012, 6:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
I have owned Sequioas for the ten years or so. I get a new one every year because of my work.

I currently tow a Malibu 247 with a 2011 Sequoia with the 5.7.

I live in southern CA and have towed my boat to Shasta, Powell and several trips to Lake Mead. I have never had any issues. The only complaint I have had is that the 4.7 revs pretty high if you want to go 60-70mph up the really steep hills. Transmission gets warm but within reason. Brakes and emergency stops are not a problem. Ride height seems to be good also... not alot of sagging. Mileage is not that great though.... maybe 10mpg if you drive mellow(average with stops and hills).

Later models have fold-flat rear seats which is better than removing them if you ask me.

If you have any questions lemme know.... I am not a salesperson nor do I work at a dealership but I have had probably 8-10 Sequoias and a few different boats towed behind them.... been through mud, snow, ice, sand and slimy launch ramps... you name it!
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-18-2012, 8:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Used to have a 22SSV, and yes I also used the Sequoia to tow with it. I believe it weighed 300+ more lbs than my VLX.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-18-2012, 8:46 AM Reply   
I've overloaded the ass end of mine a few times. We were headed out on a 3 day houseboat scuba trip. Had enough crap for four people in the back of the Sequoia. Tons of gear, boards, scuba tanks,etc loaded in the truck and a lot of crap in the boat too. Rear end sagged considerably but any vehicle would've in those conditions. Once I had the boat hooked up, we unloaded a lot of stuff into other vehicles.

Acts similarly when on trips to Colorado. Ice chests, tons of gear and a few asses in the seats and it'll sag. Air bags are cheap and I'll probably put them on if I keep the truck for any length of time. Itching to upgrade to a newer 4WD Sequoia..... Although I like having the title in my hand on this one.
Old     (rgardjr)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-18-2012, 10:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Called my Toyota dealer and, after taxes, changing the timing belt is $570 bucks. Not terrible in my opinion, especially considering it's from the local Toyota dealer. He took off a little bit more than the cost of the timing belt when I asked for it so we came to a deal. I'll post pics when all the paperwork is done.
Took my wife's LX470 in for a small coolant leak today. From what I could see it looked like it was coming from the water pump. Just got the call that confirmed it was the water pump. Her rig has 72K miles so I told them to go ahead and do the normal 90K service which includes the timing belt. Generally, when they're changing the timing belt its a good idea to do the water pump since the labor is at a minimum. The water pump replacement is recommended at 120K. If you look on Ebay most of the timing belt kits come with a water pump too. Anyway total damage for 90K service including timing belt, water pump and replacing the other serpentine belt is going to be $1100 plus tax.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-18-2012, 11:00 AM Reply   
Ricky, I'll give them a ring and see what it'll cost. I've changed timing belts and water pumps before so assuming it isn't the biggest job I may do it myself. I may go ahead and do both the water pump and the timing belt since I'm at that point in miles.

Got it, here it is:

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-18-2012, 12:04 PM Reply   
Nice!! Great rig, 4WD to boot. Thats a great price on dealer service!! Hate my dealership... IIRC, I did water pump as well. Enjoy!!
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-18-2012, 1:19 PM Reply   
great looking sequoia. i had a 05 that was that color. i owned a 01, 05 and a 08 sequoia. each a improvement over the previous. when i had my 05 supra ssv it towed great overall. i now have a 09 land cruiser and it tows my mc x2 good but with it's softer suspension drags a little.

yes you should do the timing belt and water pump at the sametime.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-18-2012, 8:12 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, I'm stoked about it. It's so comfortable and has a lot of power, really exactly what I was hoping for.

Do you all know a good website to buy Toyota parts? I'm looking for the center cap for the 17" rim. One of the center caps is missing, knew that when I bought it but I'd like to replace it. Doesn't appear to be on RockAuto which is what I was hoping to use, unless I'm missing something.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-23-2012, 5:12 AM Reply   
Just wanted to follow up on this. I had the local Toyota dealer change the timing belt and drive belts, they told me they'd call me to let me know how the water pump was before replacing it, so obviously I expected the call saying "oh yea you need a new water pump and your johnson rod is going to fly into the air causing a hurricane if you don't change it." However, much to my surprise they called and said it checked out great and wasn't leaking! They also found two lights that were out, replaced those, and found a center cap for the front left wheel (which was missing). And, not that it really has any serious value, they also washed it, which was just a nice thing to have done. The total price was ~$700 and I was really happy with the whole experience, it only took them 3 hours to do which is record time for such a labor intensive job.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-23-2012, 6:18 AM Reply   
Congrats Cody that is nice looking Sequoia and you have a dealer with great service.