Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 10, 2003

Old     (lakeday)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-28-2003, 6:35 AM Reply   
I am currently in the market for a new wakeboard boat. I've talked to dealers from tige and other boat manufacturers such as malibu. Of course everyone talks about the wood and TAPS system. I want to hear from tige owners why they bought tige and why they would recommend it over malibu. Thanks for all your input!!
Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-28-2003, 8:42 AM Reply   
Of course this is just my opinion... For 2002 and older, I think it depends on the wake you want. The 2002 and older Tige's have a steeper wake with a little lip on it. The Malibu's have a rampier wake with not much lip. I prefer the steeper wake because I feel I get a little better pop off the wake. The Malibu's seem a little more forgiving off the wake but require very good technique to get serious air. I pretty much ride behind my Tige (23V, 2001) and my friends Malibu (Wakesetter, 2001). It always seems like it takes one run to adjust to the different wake shapes but they are both great. The 2003 Tige's appear to be able to get pretty close to the Malibu wakes (Rampy) and then use the TAPS to get steeper. I like both boats but of course I like Tige better. It has storage for days and still has room for a ballast system. I also have been very pleased with the performance/reliability of the boat and the service at Tige Watersports (Corona, CA).
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-28-2003, 1:10 PM Reply   
I bought the Tige because of
Price- got a sweet deal on a friends boat since he was getting a 2003
Dealer- i know the local Tige dealer and trust them, whereas the the local Bu' dealer I have reservations about.

Both boats are awesome. I Like the storage in the Tige and the space, but the Bu' is nowhere near being cramped. If the above items had not been a factor, it would be a tough decision. Even with the dealer issues, I still kept going back to look at the VLX.
Old     (lakeday)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-29-2003, 6:21 AM Reply   
I am looking at the 22i Type R. Do you think I should look at adding ballast or will the TAPS be adequate?
Old    bofus5104            01-29-2003, 7:34 AM Reply   
I have a 98" 22i that I had nothing but probs with the first years, overheating,electrical fires etc. A buddy just got the v drive and had probs with gas tanks leaking and electrical. I suggest you go over your new boat with a fine comb to hopefully get some of the bugs id'd
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-29-2003, 8:38 AM Reply   
As for ballast, depends on your riding level. If you are a beginner, you can ride with just "people weight". That will not last long though and you will find yourself wanting more ballast. Most of my riding is behind the V drive (21 & 23). On the 21, I have rode behind it with about 8 people in the boat and no ballast and thought the wake was great. I also rode behind the 21(the boat I ended up buying) with 6 people and 1000 lbs ballast, had to take TAPS down some since I was not used to the steepnees of the wake. I would say eventually, you are going to end up with ballast, almost every boat ends up getting more ballast than they come with.
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-29-2003, 9:08 AM Reply   
I know you didn't ask and I expect to get flamed but thought it was fair to add input because I have not seen a post by you for just malibu owners yet. Just a comment that I think most people understand but in case you don't, the Taps system is nothing more than a "trim tab" that makes the wake smaller. If effect the best wake for wakeboarding is created when the Taps system is all the way up allowing the rear of the boat to sink into the water further offering the biggest wake. (right?) So if you were to take the Taps plate completely off the boat then the boat would naturally sink farther into the water, creating at all times the best wake. The only thing the Taps system can do is make the wake smaller.

On the Malibu the Wedge actually pulls the back of the boat down into the water while driving, I'm sure you all have seen a picture of one, but it will create ~1000 pounds of pull on the back of the hull while crusing at wakeboard speeds. This actually makes the wake bigger. If you were to take the Wedge off the boat the wake would get smaller, which is not the case with the Taps system.
Just my .02 cents. Thanks for listening.
Old     (lakeday)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-29-2003, 9:18 AM Reply   
tony, thanks for the info. that was basically the way the malibu people described the TAPS system to me as well. i am more familiar with the malibu boats (researched and test drove), and i know some malibu owners that are really pleased with their boats. i hear good and bad about tige, but it seems all the bad is from those that have never actually owned one. some of the things tige does sounds bad in theory..wood in construction & TAPS, i just wanted to know what actual owners and users thought. nevertheless, thanks for the input!!
Old    tige_joe            01-29-2003, 11:33 AM Reply   
I'm on my 6th Tige! Absolutely no problems with mine as far as construction. If wood was an issue.....I don't think that Hallett, Eliminator, Nordic, Fountain, Baja, or any other offshore boat would use it. I've owned a Malibu and a Correct Craft also. As far it it goes.....they all make a great boat! Drive them....and form your own opinion of likes and dislikes. Your dealer support is the most important. If you can't have a positive relationship with him.......the construction and price are the least of your worries. It's supposed to be a fun time for you and your family. The dealer should be just as proud, to see you having a good time on the water. By the way.......TAPS does work! I still have a hard time imagining a device that's trying to rip the transom off my boat at a 1000lbs of downward force. Just my opinion.
Old     (lakeday)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-29-2003, 12:01 PM Reply   
I had an interesting thought about the TAPS system. I currently have an inboard that when driving at skiing speed and raising the trim the wake does get smaller, however when going at wakeboard speed trimming up actually makes the wake larger....does TAPS work the same way??
Old     (mcsammamish)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-29-2003, 1:09 PM Reply   
The Wedge rocks and I do believe they have no failures since '98 when they came out with the wedge. IMO

ds, do you have an I/O or Inboard with trim? If it is and I/O it will make the wake smaller, but if is the "trim tab" and use raise it, it will make the the wake bigger, allowing the bow to rise.

Old     (lakeday)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-29-2003, 1:23 PM Reply   
im sorry i do have an I/O...i dont know why i put inboard in my last post. i guess i just have inboards on the brain!
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-29-2003, 2:24 PM Reply   
Just for the record, Sanger also uses wood and I have never seen complaints about their boats- only praise, and I see Centurion boats has a wake plate on their V drive, can't see them doing that if it does not work? I have a Tige and have had no problems with boat other than it's a 20i and meant to please skiers and boarders and now want a boat that skiers will hate! not a tweener
Old    mikep            01-29-2003, 2:31 PM Reply   
I've owned two Tiges - a 2000 21V and a 2003 22V. I think the Malibu VLX is a great boat as well, but I chose Tige' for these reasons:

1. Wake. This is true of the '03 models more than older models as wakes have been greatly improved in the new boats (the boats without spray pockets which includes some '02 models). With the 22V you can add 1500 pounds of water/lead and get an amazingly large, hard, clean well-shaped wake. The new wake is amazing. With a Malibu, you can get an amazing wake, it just takes more weight. When I rode behind Jerry Nunn's boat in Orlando he was running over 2500 pounds. You may also know that Tige has no hook in the hull, which allows the stern to ride lower in the water. This means you don't need as much weight to create a large wake. The TAPS then acts as the "variable hook" that allows you to bring the stern up and nose down for shaping the wake or for a better ride.

2. Storage/room: The Tige' 22V has hands down he most storage and space of any 22 foot boat. It's super wide so you can fit at least 10 people comfortably. The rear hatches are so big and deep that I can have full sacks back there and still have room for jackets, ropes, food, beer, surfboards, whatever. Then you have two more huge lockers in front that can be accessed from the bow, or from the passenger side. The Storage in front of the driver is so big that you can actually get a sub box for a 12" woofer in there and have it firing through to the driver (none of that clarion free-air crap). There are also spots for six speakers within the boat. There's a table too. Oh, and the swim platform is absolutely huge! All these may seem like small amenities, but they add up for me.

3. Ride. With the TAPS the Tige' rides really nice in rough water. Most of the time this doesn't matter for me, but the once or twice a year I take it out on Lake Washington, I want a boat that can handle rough water.

I could also give you advantages of the Malibu as well. It drives more like a sports car, the graphics and gel coat options are cooler, in my opinion, and there are some really nice engine options (actually Tige' picked up PCM now though).

All in all though, when I compared the two, the Tige' came out on top. I hope this helps.
Old     (lakeday)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-29-2003, 2:56 PM Reply   
you guys are really helping me out. it sounds like the 2002 and 2003 tige has a better wake than it had in the past...is that correct? has anyone had any experience with the 22i type R wake?
Old    mikep            01-29-2003, 3:29 PM Reply   
My opinion is that the new Tige' boats without spray pockets are better. These boats include the 2002 - 20V and 21i, and the 2003 - 20V, 21i, 22V, 24V (there may be others). The 22i is a bit of a middle ground in my opinion. They filled in the spray pockets for the most part, but in a differnt way than the others. The 22i still has a nice wake, I just prefer the 22V. Again, my opinion.

By the way, my comments about the Malibu wake are without the wedge. I have never ridden behind a VLX with the wedge, so I can't comment on it.
Old    nick360            01-29-2003, 7:06 PM Reply   
For 2003, Tige' has made the same hull changes on the 22i as with the 21i and all three v-drives.

Even though the '01 & '02 22i are not identical to the '03, they're very similar and I don't think I've ever heard anyone on this board complain about it's wakes.
Old    matt_dettman            01-29-2003, 7:20 PM Reply   
Nick,

Bret tells me you are Vegas bound for the boat show! We are gonna ROCK! See you in a few weeks.

Matt
Old    matt_dettman            01-29-2003, 7:28 PM Reply   
Yo Porter,

If you ever move to Vegas, consider yourself employed! Your clear understanding and subsequent explanation of the TAPS system is to be applauded.

Thanks for your help!

Matt
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       01-30-2003, 7:02 AM Reply   
Mike,
Did you ever post photos of your new 22V,I didn't
see them.
Thanks,
Karen Nelems
Old    susanw            01-30-2003, 9:10 AM Reply   
I would not be concerned about the wood in the Tiges. Have you seen the new warranty? Not to mention I have never heard of any wood rot claims on Tiges.

I would be concerned about hollow stringers on any boat, especially if the engine in mounted to the stringers.

The new tige mold wakes are much better than the old ones that created the little lips on the wakes. I think removing the spray pockets cured this. We've always ridden with weight (front and back) and with TAPS between 5 and 6 for best wake shape. The 20v is a REALLY FUN boat to ride behind. May be a little small for some people.

Tige construction is solid.

Malibu VLX wakes absolutely ROCK! Without the wedge.

I currently do not own a boat.

Susan
Old    mikep            01-30-2003, 11:23 AM Reply   
Thanks Matt - maybe the next time I'm down money at the tables I'll have to come sell some boats for you! :-)

Karen, I don't have pics of my boat yet. It's still in the shrink wrap because I didn't have my trailer. I picked up my trailer last weekend and my dealer should be preping it this week. Hopefully I'll have some pics soon and I'll make sure to post them...that is as long as it stops raining for long enough for me to go outside!
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-30-2003, 12:48 PM Reply   
I've got a '01 21i that I have been very happy with. When I got serious about the jump from a 21' SeaRay to the "ski" or "wakeboard" style boat, I tried to check them all out carefully. At that time we wanted to still ski and were getting into wakeboarding. (After 6 months everone forgot what a ski is.) Our boat has performed flawlessly and the service has been exceptional. Our dealer also installed the PP Wakeboard Pro a year later at the lowest price I've ever heard of and gives owners a good discount in his pro shop. The dealer can make all the diference in the experience.

From what I have seen, the taps makes some difference in the wake size but is more helpful in fine tuning and clean it up depending on the load and crew size. Everyone that I have taken out has commented on how surprized they are at the air they get off my wake. Is it tournament size or shape? No, but it still gets the job done for us. And the new designs are significantly better.

One of the reasons for buying this boat was the value for the $$. The Malibu dealer is still sore at me for not buying from him, but he wanted $6k more for the same thing. In the last two years the price differences have closed and my next purchase, a v-drive, will be a much harder decision. I did a demo on a SA 210 and was impressed. When it gets down to the short straws, it will be based on the demo and the dealer. Demo one from every dealer you trust and are comfortable with. Wakes are different, boats are different, dealers are different.
Old    skippyh2o            01-31-2003, 1:28 PM Reply   
I have seen nothing bad about Tige' but beware of the top mold inside the cockpit on the Malibu (carpeted wood). Most other boats use fiberglass with gelcoat. Tige's "trim tab" or T.A.P.S system is just a trim tab. We have a new 2003 V208 Sky Supreme and it has a Trim Tab.... Which is standard. No wood, even in the backing for the hatches.
Old    raley69            02-03-2003, 5:15 PM Reply   
My final decision came down to Tige Vs. Malibu as well. I went with Tige. My reasons were: 1. Wider beam and heavier dry weight. 2. Personal preference on comfort and asthetics. 3. Feel of the wake while riding. 4. Smoother and quieter ride in rough water. 5.(Could also be #1) My girlfriend said she liked it more and I would benefit substantially from purchasing it.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-03-2003, 8:08 PM Reply   
I have no regrets on my 22i Type R. The wake is great, the layout is the best, and the boat handles like a dream. Also, it sounds like you ski. This boat will give you a advantage being able to cross over to skiing as well.

Let me know if you have any specific questions on this boat. I love it!
Old    kent            02-03-2003, 8:41 PM Reply   
I like tige because of the interior space. Ive yet to be in any boat that utilizes space the same way, but tige does have the advantage their due to the larger beam. The wake on any of the 03 boats is wicked, you will have no problems there. You will definatley add ballast over time, but the boats have lots of room for it. The TAPS I find is far more useful for things other than trying to make the wake big. If you have the boat loaded down and have beginners out, you can use TAPS to slim the wake down and take some lip off it so its eaiser for them. It also lets you kind of fine tune a bit how you like the lip on it anyhow. I ride on a big lake so we use it alot for adjusting the ride angle in big water. Its really nice having the advantage of being able to adjust the level of bow rise to accomodate smoother sailing on those windy days. 3 years and I cant remember how many hundered hours, we only had one problem and that was a fuel sensor on the EFI, which was replaced the same day by the dealer. Our riding partner has a wakesetter VLX, it has been a great boat, only 3 problems with it. Had to have the speedo pickups and lines replaced, and the hose came off of the ballast system and filled the boat with quite a load of water. Both were fixed hassle free under warrenty. Last season something went wrong in the gelcoat, its dark blue and somehow water got in it so below the water line it got lightened a few shades, not drastic but quite noticable. Still waiting to hear back on whats going to happen with that.
Old    jaskot            02-07-2003, 12:24 PM Reply   
I just purchased a new 2003 21i. I was looking for a tweener since I still skiing and I don't know how much longer my knees will let me wakeboard. For me it came down to:1. Wakes. The convex hull, TAPS and the extra weight provide great slalom wakes and good intermediate level wakeboard wakes. I was blown away at the how much TAPS could vary the wake. 2. Price. Mastercraft and Correct Craft wanted much more for comparable performance. (I was looking at X9's and SA 216's.) A 21' boat with most amenities for 37,900 (before tax and license) with that kind of wake flexibility? Hard to beat.
3. Dealer. The local dealer (TigeWaterSports, Corona,CA) is a an old race boat rigger and he does some things that make a great boat better. He uses a better tower and a better trailer than the stock Tige ones. He installs the PP Wakeboard Pro better than the Tige factory (as well as some other items). He also installs his own stereo setups.
Old    mikep            02-07-2003, 1:31 PM Reply   
You'll love that 21i for boarding too Keith. I rode in a 2002 21i (same hull) with 2000 pounds and the wake was really nice.