Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 01, 2004

Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-16-2004, 8:58 AM Reply   
I know this isnt a wakeboarding topic and would fit better in "non-wakeboarding" topics but that does not get as much visibility as this section does. Dave, if you want to move it I understand.

Anyway, as many of you know, I have a lot of friends over there right now. I have been sending packages but not a lot of people are. Here is a list of items you can send to "any Marine" (my preference) or "any soldier" (Army, not quite as good but they work hard too - haha - just a joke).

Anyway, here is a list of things that they are craving:

Any type of
snacks (remember that it takes 2-3 weeks for a box to get there and its hot), magazines, crossword puzzles, word finds, books, baby wipes(NO TP left),country time lemonade, kool aid, beef jerkey, and home made cookies (a favorite), and (I hate to put this) feminine products for the females.

For those that want to send stuff you can put "any Marine, Soldier, Airmen, or Sailor - In Iraq" and the package will get there.

If you want to send packages to a specific address, I can post an address and a list of names (both male and female) if you want. These are just people that I know and isnt really a fair cross section. Let me know if you want the names and addresses.

Please folks, send stuff. I've been to that place twice and saying "it really sucks" is a just a huge understatement! They are out there living in conditions that you wouldnt imagine while we are here living under the protection that they provide. Its the least you can do to send some cookies and a note that says "thanks" - stuff like that really helps.

Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       04-16-2004, 9:09 AM Reply   
Jim, you can just put a box together and drop it at the post office with no address but "any Marine, Soldier, Airmen, or Sailor - In Iraq" and it will get there. Wow that is really cool. I also suggest cutting and pasting Jim's message to an e-mail and shoot it off to all your friends. I know of a lot of people that woulld love to do this. Who would have known it's that easy!
Old    buttacup            04-16-2004, 9:32 AM Reply   
I've heard a few of Jim's stories (which were unbelievable) and a few of my friend who was also out there. I can't imagine what it's like. I'm willing to buy some goodies and send it to them. Do you happen to know how much the postage is?
Old    imcmole            04-16-2004, 9:35 AM Reply   
a letter costs a normal stamp. packages have to be weighed at the post office, but it is considered domestic mail (cheap).
Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-16-2004, 9:36 AM Reply   
I've been told that works.

However, if it does not, here is the address and a list of names that people can send stuff too. These people are my friends and I know for a fact that they all share everything with people that are not on the list.

Here is a list of addresses and some names for each of the 4 companies in my Battalion:

The address for Headquarters Co is:
Rank Name
1st FSSG HqSvcBn Hq Co.
UIC 42095 FPO-AP 96426-2095

Here are some friends you can send stuff to in Headquarters company:
LT Ian Garvey
Lt Melissa Richardson (female)
Lt Cathy Harrington (female)
Lt Wilson
GySgt Richardson
Sgt Bryan Sullivan
Sgt Jaclyn Kinsey (female)
Sgt Chris Webb
Cpl Necoline Clifford (female)
LCpl L. Mclaughlin
You can always use the address above and put "any Marine (you can specify rank too)
One section that really needs some morale boosting is Mortuary Affairs. You can put "any mortuary affairs Marine" with the above address if you like.

The address for Military Police Co:

Rank Name
1st FSSG HqSvcBn MP Co.
UIC 42105 FPO-AP 96426-2105

The only person I know well is the Company Commander Capt Eric Young.
You can always put "any MP" with the above address

The address for Service Company:

Rank Name
1st FSSG HqSvcBn Serv Co.
UIC 42110 FPO-AP 96426-2110

The only person I know well over there is the Company Commander Capt Mike Nelson
You can always put "any services Marine" with the above address.

The address for Communications Co is:

Rank Name
1st FSSG HqSvcBn Comm Co.
UIC 42100 FPO-AP 96426-2110

The only person I know over there is the Company Commander - Capt Ed Debish

I hope everybody sends stuff to them. They are having a pretty tough time. Remember, only stuff they can eat or easily discard. No comforters, pillows and stuff like that - wont fit into their packs.

(Message edited by wakeboard_iraq on April 16, 2004)
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-16-2004, 10:52 AM Reply   
I got a whole stack of past issues of Wakeboard Magazines I was going to get rid of. To Iraq they go. Anyone got and wakeboarding buddies over there with addresses?
Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-16-2004, 10:54 AM Reply   
Sgt Sullivan (listed above) is a wakeboarder. Not a very good one though haha.

I have one more buddy that is a wakeboarder over there - dont know what unit he is with but I will find out and post it.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-16-2004, 11:06 AM Reply   
Here is another one of my good friends that is a wakeboarder - pretty good at it (until he gets hurt which is just about every time we go out). He is the acting Battalion force protection chief - located in Falluja - so you know he is busy.

GySgt Baker, B.D. / USMC
9th Comm BN
HQ Det CEM
UIC 42570
FPO AP 96426-2570
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-16-2004, 11:14 AM Reply   
Hey Jim
That's an awesome gesture. My brother has been there since day one and just got back monday. We sent him and his fellow troops stuff regularly. You can't even imagine how much they appreciate it. Keep it up.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-16-2004, 11:22 AM Reply   
Let me tell you Eric - it was everything. There is very little to be happy about over there (I've spent 13 1/2 months of my life in that miserable desert) nor is there much to look forward to. Mail is pretty much your only source of happiness.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-16-2004, 12:13 PM Reply   
that is really cool, i think i'll be sending over a box... think they will appreciate a playboy mag? haha..
Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-16-2004, 12:16 PM Reply   
yes.
Old    swpmwinc            04-16-2004, 12:35 PM Reply   
Jim we got cut off and I cant get back thru to your # but I got 4cases of jerky and 3 cases of sunflower seeds from the neighbors so it will go out today.
later Sean
Old    jetpilotrider03            04-16-2004, 1:43 PM Reply   
how about some herion? i know this is a bit extreme, but it sounds like a legitimate answer in comparision to what they did in vietnam in an endless war..and i mean no distrespect to any soldiers when i say this cause i have friends in iraq right now
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-16-2004, 1:56 PM Reply   
Jim, With postage... do we just take it to the post office with "any Marine, Soldier, Airmen, or Sailor - In Iraq" and they will have the correct postage for us?
Old    swpmwinc            04-16-2004, 2:17 PM Reply   
I just got back from the Post Office they said they WILL NOT except packages addressed to any soldier it needs to have a unit # and name.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-16-2004, 2:30 PM Reply   
lets get a list of unit numbers so we can send some to a bunch
Old     (noneya)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-16-2004, 2:44 PM Reply   
How about a copy of the Geneva convention? I guess it would be better to send it to "W" but not sure if he has finished hooked on phonics yet
Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-16-2004, 9:17 PM Reply   
Nick, are you out of your F'ing mind? NO - HELL NO!
Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-16-2004, 9:24 PM Reply   
All of the unit information is listed above in a previous email (my second one of this thread). Dont know what the problem is - we received packages marked "any Marine" all of the time during the war. Guess things changed.

One more thing I just found out - if the package is over 16 ounces, you have to take it to the post office so they can look what is inside.

Hey NoneYa - this is not a political forum. This is about doing something nice for people out there risking their lives for all of us because the call of duty came. Doesnt matter who sent them or why they are there.
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-16-2004, 10:11 PM Reply   
Hey NoneYa - Have some respect bro.

Jim - Thanks for posting the info. I wouldnt have known it was that easy and most importantly wouldnt have known it would be appreciated that much. Thanks for all you do and I enjoyed the article they did on you in Wakeboarding Mag.
Old    walt            04-16-2004, 10:17 PM Reply   
Jim, thank You for Your post ! I'm going to put something together tomorrow.

Nick and noneya, WTF?
Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-17-2004, 7:34 AM Reply   
Thanks Gerret and Walt. They are looking forward to it. Thanks for the props too.
Old    upupnaway            04-17-2004, 9:05 AM Reply   
The reason you can no longer send things without a specified destination is because of the Anthrax and letter bomb scare.
Operation dear abby, which is the same thing as this idea, was suspended.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-17-2004, 11:46 AM Reply   
Below is a reply to an email that I received this morning from Gunnery Sergeant Baker (email address above). He is the one that is a good wakeboarder but typically gets hurt every session from throwing things well above his skill level. SSgt Walker was a Drill Instructor that we knew (I didnt know him that well but Gy Baker did) from when we all worked at MCRD San Diego (boot camp). I mentioned in my email that Bush's support is slipping but the people still support the troops on the ground regardless (unlike vietnam). I mentioned that the TV always shows 10 or so guys jumping around with AK's and rarely ever the Iraqi's that support the change.

The reason I put this up is because I wanted everybody to see what a persons opinion (one that is getting shot at daily) is as to why we need to be there.

Anyway, here it is:}

"Walker is dead. Not sure about the details, I just found out today. Do you remember him? Well, it's A WHOLE LOT MORE than 10 guys with AK's and they aren't just jumoing around. Sorry to hear the country isn't supporting Bush. As much as I hate being here, we NEED to be here. If we don't stop these bastards HERE, we'll just have to stop them in our own back yards.

Supplies are tough but no biggie.We've already fixed that little problem. The bad guys have ammo stashes all over the place. They have underground also. This country is one big ammo dump.

Well, they seem to be multiplying but yes, we are getting LOTS of them. Last I heard, in Fallujah alone, we killed about 600 since 06 April. We're getting there. Just gonna take more bullets!"

Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-17-2004, 12:20 PM Reply   
One mistake - Gy Bakers MAILING ADDRESS is above - not his email address. If you want to send stuff, he'd love it.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-17-2004, 7:26 PM Reply   
Jim, in addition to the above suppies that you mentioned, do you think they could use any T-shirts. The CLWC wants to send some stuff, we'll pack some club T-shirts too if you think that would be a good idea.

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on April 17, 2004)
Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-17-2004, 7:38 PM Reply   
Jeff, thats a nice gesture but they cant wear them. They are in uniform 24/7 (literally - yes they sleep in cammies too - with their boots, helmet, weapon, and flak jacket right next to them) and wont put on civilian attire again until they get home. The best thing to do is just send a "thanks" and some food and/or TP. That thank you letter from a stranger means the world.
Old    bretbaker3            04-18-2004, 1:49 AM Reply   
Hi all! It's GySgt Baker from Iraq. I finally got to get on the internet and Jim told me about this post. I just want to say THANK YOU from the deepest part of my heart to all of you out there that have or will send things to us out here. Just to let you know, things are going well out here. Yes, bad things are happening but that's what we deal with in our business, and we're good at it! We're going to win this thing and even though we're the ones out here doing it, we honestly could not do it without the knowledge that all of you are out there continuing with life and doing what America is all about, living in freedom and happiness! Wish I could be out there boarding with you all right now but that'll come in time, right now I've got bigger things to do. I told my Marines about what's going on back there and how you all are sending packages and letters and you should see their faces... I actually saw tears in some of their eyes. It feels really good to know the folks back home are thinking about us, and not just our family and friends that have a personal interest but YOU ALL! Thank you! Thanks Jim! And speaking of family, Michelle, if you're reading this, I LOVE YOU! You are my first, my last, my everything!

GySgt Bret Baker
USMC
Fallujah, Iraq
Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-18-2004, 7:38 AM Reply   
Hey buddy, glad you got on here. I dont know where you found the time to write this but it was very well put. I have to say that is about the coolest profile pic I've seen! Let me get this right though - you have a pistol, and an M-16 with 6 MAGS for it?! You trying to take them all on yourself? haha Will get some of Denese's cookies in the mail to you as soon as she gets back from her trip - you dont want the ones I make haha.

If any of you would like to sent mail to Gy Baker, his mailing address is:

GySgt Baker, B.D. / USMC
9th Comm BN
HQ Det CEM
UIC 42570
FPO AP 96426-2570

He's a great guy and a fellow wakeboarder.

(Message edited by wakeboard iraq on April 18, 2004)
Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-18-2004, 8:01 AM Reply   
Gy Baker on our trip to Parker last November

A pic of Gunny Baker on our trip to Parker last November.

(Message edited by wakeboard iraq on April 18, 2004)
Old    swpmwinc            04-19-2004, 9:12 AM Reply   
We sent out 4 boxes weighing 16 lbs each.for a total cost of 26.92USD. Keep the Boxes open so the postal clerk can see inside. You have to fill out a customs declaration no big deal. Total time spent at the post office was less than 15 min. Come on you guys do something nice for the Men & Women of our Armed Forces. And for those of you who have some smart A$$ comment keep it to your self. Be a adult and support the troops. You may not like the war or the President but this is not the thread to get into that.
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-19-2004, 9:15 AM Reply   
i'm gonna get a package out asap!! thanks jim for the post. long time no chat!
Old    swpmwinc            04-19-2004, 10:14 AM Reply   
Huge Props to Danny here is a guy with so much on his plate (getting out of the hospital)and yet he can take time out to do this. Come on you guys. All of you guys that are so vocal in the political threads spend a few bucks and do something nice for the guys that protect your life and liberty.

(Message edited by swpmwinc on April 19, 2004)
Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-19-2004, 11:06 AM Reply   
Thanks for sending the packages _ I'll let them know that they are coming so the company commanders can distribute them to the younger Marines where its needed most.

Danny, thanks so much for that. I know we have not chatted in a long time but I've been watching your thread daily and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. You're doing great - cant wait to see you out - post some pics of it!. I can only imagine the size of the smile on your face when you ride again.

For everybody else - I know the thread has been somewhat confusing as to who to send the packages to so I am going to give 5 names and addresses - these are Company Commanders and the like who are aware of your efforts and will ensure proper distribution of whatever you send.

THIS ONE IS THE BATTALION OPERATIONS OFFICER

Lt Melissa Richardson
1st FSSG HqSvcBn Hq Co.
UIC 42095
FPO-AP 96426-2095

THIS ONE IS THE FORCE PROTECTION CHIEF (Also a fellow wakeboarder - he posted on this thread - check out his profile pic)

GySgt Baker, B.D. / USMC
9th Comm BN
HQ Det CEM
UIC 42570
FPO AP 96426-2570

THIS ONE IS THE SERVICES COMPANY COMMANDER

Capt Mike Nelson
1st FSSG HqSvcBn Serv Co.
UIC 42110
FPO-AP 96426-2110

THIS ONE IS THE MILITARY POLICE COMPANY COMMANDER

Capt. Eric Young
UIC 42100
FPO-AP 96426-2110

THIS ONE IS THE COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY COMMANDER

Capt Ed Debish
UIC 42100
FPO-AP 96426-2110

Please everybody, it takes very little time and effort to make the day of somebody over there. Send a package and maybe a note to any one of the names and addresses above - each one of those people listed above is in charge of between 50 and 250 Marines and will ensure the distribution of whatever you send.

Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-19-2004, 11:35 AM Reply   
thats sweet... will have mine in the mail in the next week
Old    walt            04-19-2004, 2:55 PM Reply   
Hi Jim, We picked up a bunch of stuff and I'm going to try to get it out this week
Old     (dbo)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-19-2004, 4:30 PM Reply   
hey jim or baker i know this is off topic but i havent heard from my brother in a couple of weeks. he is in or around baghdad in one of the marine infantry divisions if you know him or even saw him let me know. oh yeah his name is PFC Redzuan Razak or he might have even gotten promoted since i have heard from him. thanks and another thing he is out of 29 palms or japan somewhere. thanks.

Derek
Old     (dbo)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-19-2004, 4:54 PM Reply   
ok looked it up and he is now LCpl razak 3rd battalion india company 3rd platoon. do you know anybody from there?
Old    ryan38            04-19-2004, 5:30 PM Reply   
hey man i think thats a great idea. i didnt know it was that easy to send stuff to them. im still in high school but thats a good thing because im in student counsil. im gonna try to get alot of people to donate and maybe start a drive.

and whoever said that thing about sending herion, nick i think it was, ur a jacka$$. they are out there everyday risking their lives in terrible conditions and the most u can say is ur going to send them drugs.

on the other hand whoever said they were sending a playboy mag-- we could all use one of those every now and then
Old    whitechocolate            04-19-2004, 7:20 PM Reply   
Hey soldiers I will send over some good old Hip Hop and house music music CD's so when your not getting bad guys you can shake your ass. Thank you for what your doing over there. We all hope you return safe. I hope you get the music and enjoy them.

Grant
Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-20-2004, 12:36 PM Reply   
Aaron, Grant and Walt, thanks so much for sending that - it will be greatly appreciated.

Derek, I might be able to track down our brother but I need some more info. What Battalion is he in? You gave me the Company (India) and the Platoon (3rd) - but there are lots of India Companies and even more 3rd platoons. You should be looking for a name like "2nd battalion, 4th Marines - or 2/4". If you want to email me his social security number that that will help (email directly - not on here). On one hand though - no news is good news. Thats what I always told my wife when I was there.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       04-20-2004, 1:26 PM Reply   
Jim do most of the guys/girls have access to CD players? Sounded like a good idea to send some music, I could burn some disks and send them over in the package. Little garage band action. The new Offspring CD is sick! What do you think?

I have stacks of wakeboarding, FHM, Maxim, well you get the point type magazines to stuff in there too. Even have some US magazines that the wife loves and collects, maybe the ladies would like those. Damn actually I like them too LOL they have some hot pics in them LOL but they are going to an awesome cause!
Old    stormrider            04-20-2004, 1:50 PM Reply   
Awesome idea, Jim. Thanks for the addresses. I see support for Bush everywhere. He's set to beat Kerry what 54-41, something like that.

In a democracy there will always be about 25% of the populace that is rudely and vocally against whatever the President is doing just because he's in the other party. World War II, where the country was almost 100% behind the war was an historical aberration. I just ignore the Nick's of the world.

To the Marines, each and every one of you, you have my respect, but more than that, my admiration. Yes, I am worried and concerned about you guys. I want you to win like I want my kids to grow up and be healthy and successful. I drove by Pendleton on Saturday and really felt for the families. I check the news hourly to see how you are doing and pray for your success and for your safety.

And I can guarantee you this: I am not alone in the way I feel. There are millions of us here who feel exactly the same way.

Alright, I need to get off the computer and go out and get some packages together!

Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-20-2004, 1:57 PM Reply   
Jonathan - thats a great idea! Almost all of the younger Marines pack a CD player in their packs (almost as if we put it on the required gear list). They would love it! The magazines will go over great too - The first time I was over there, there was a Cosmopolitan Magazine that was working its way through the platoon (male platoon). At first I gave them it but I later found myself reading it b/c it was the only thing around.

Steve, thanks for your insight and props to the Marines over there. I know of a few that read this thread now days - they will pass the word. Thanks for sending packages too.
Old    walt            04-20-2004, 5:32 PM Reply   
I mailed a few things off today and found out that You have to fill out custom forms which was no big deal but it would of have been nice to have them filled out before hand.
they gave Me a big stack of them for next time.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-21-2004, 9:36 AM Reply   
Thanks for sending the packages. Which one did you send to so I can let him/her know?

For everybody else, the customs forms are short and typically take less than a minute to fill out - it sometimes sucks to be standing at the window filling it out - but its no big deal
Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-21-2004, 10:41 AM Reply   
Derek, My Opso (in Falluja) is going to make some calls to find the status on your brother.

No news is good news - remember that.

Personally, I know where 3/4 is - your brother is busy but fine (as long as there is no news). Will get confirmation in the next few days.

Old    stormrider            04-21-2004, 11:24 AM Reply   
Suggestion for those short on time: check out this website, http://www.militarycarepackages.net/. I just ordered three of their "Miles of Sand" care packages over the internet, paid for them with my credit card and sent them to GySgt Baker. Took about 15 minutes.

(Message edited by stormrider on April 21, 2004)
Old     (zigzagsd)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-21-2004, 12:30 PM Reply   
i apologize in advance for the long post, but here's some official guidance from the navy's website regarding care packages that should apply to all services.

To bolster force protection, the general public is urged not to send unsolicited mail, care packages or donations to service members forward deployed unless you are a family member, loved one or personal friend. Mail from family members and loved ones has always been encouraged and the military mail system will continue to work hard to get that mail to service members overseas.

There are many well meaning Web sites, TV stations, and charity groups that are promoting donations to overseas service members. While well intentioned, you should not use them and you should discourage others from using them. These unsolicited letters of support or care packages to service members raise a force protection issue, since anonymous donors are different from legitimate family members and friends. DoD has cancelled mail programs which encouraged the American public in general to mail to "Any Service Member" (versus a specific deployed person). These new programs attempt to do the same thing by gathering names of service members to send mail. While legitimate mail from family members and loved ones is always encouraged, these donor programs, which collect and pass out service members’ names and addresses, is discouraged.

On Oct. 30, 2002, the Department of Defense (DoD) suspended the "Operation Dear Abby" and "Any Servicemember" traditional mail programs due to force protection concerns. The Department of the Navy and the DoD cannot support creative and well-intentioned efforts that defeat force protection measures, but can instead recommend alternatives to mail and donation programs. To show support to troops overseas, the following are recommended:

Log on to the following Web sites to show support, to include greeting cards, virtual Thank You cards and calling card donations to help troops stay in contact with loved ones:
Defend America — http://www.defendamerica.mil/support_troops.html
Operation USO Care Package — http://www.usocares.org/home.htm
Operation Dear Abby e-mail to Navy personnel
Other ways by which you can show your support. Service members do value and appreciate such expressions of support:
Visit Department of Veterans Affairs hospitals and nursing homes. Volunteer your services to honor veterans who served in past conflicts. The Department of Veterans Affairs web site can be found at http://www.va.gov
Donate a calling card to help keep service members in touch with their families at Operation Uplink at http://www.operationuplink.org/
Make a donation to the Navy/Marine Relief Society at http://www.nmcrs.org/iraqwar.html
Support the American Red Cross Armed Forces Emergency Services at http://www.redcross.org/services/afes/
Support families whose loved ones are being treated at military and VA hospitals through a donation to the Fisher House at http://www.fisherhouse.org
Reach out to military families in your community, especially those with a loved one deployed.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-21-2004, 12:40 PM Reply   
John - WTF????

This is a coordinated effort in which the recipients are going to hand out the items received. DO NOT discourage wakeworld people from sending packages to the above mentioned people.

I do appreciate your effort and time with the links at the bottom of your email - but again, this is NOT unsolicited mail. It is asked for, coordinated, and appreciated mail. Thanks
Old    stormrider            04-21-2004, 12:54 PM Reply   
John: Congrats first of all on landing the tantrum.

I don't, though, see any risk in sending stuff. I contacted an on-line company here in the U.S., then phoned them to make sure there really was somebody there, then had them send three boxes of American made, pre-packaged items to a guy Jim knows personally who posts on this thread and has indicated he'll see that the stuff gets to those who can best use it. Seems workable to me.
Old     (zigzagsd)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-21-2004, 1:01 PM Reply   
just to clarify - i'm definitely not discouraging any efforts by anyone - WW or not. just providing clarification on the issue of the "any sailor/marine/soldier."

by all means, send whatever you can - i've been on that end, though not for nearly as long as most of the marines there now. anything is greatly appreciated.
Old    corey_marotta            04-22-2004, 9:22 AM Reply   
Recently I have had the privilege to work with Jim and a few of the local Marines in San Diego. We are stoked these guys are on our team and we should do what ever we can to send them support.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-22-2004, 12:59 PM Reply   
Hey Corey, how about talking to Alliance and sending over a case of magazines? Both current and past issues, I am sure they would be read over again and again!! Just a thought, hugs, robyn
Old    lindsayl            04-22-2004, 1:36 PM Reply   
Great idea, Jim! I advise a sorority at SDSU, hopefully I can enlist those girls to get some more care packages over to Iraq too.

One thing, there were a couple inconsistencies between the addresses you initially posted and those you posted later. Just want to make sure we're all using the right UIC & FPO codes
Old    buttacup            04-22-2004, 4:13 PM Reply   
I bought a few things from Costco today for them and will be sending out a package to Lt. Richardson and a note tomorrow or Sat. Now I just have to find a box big enough to fit this stuff in

Oh if anyone is sending them burned cd's, some extra AA batteries might be helpful too.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-25-2004, 9:58 AM Reply   
Lindsay,

Great catch on the address.

MP Company is:

Capt. Eric Young
UIC 42100
FPO-AP 96426-2105 (not 2110)

However, that last 4 is within the battalion so the package will get to the right person regardless. Every person that I listed above is a company commander or the like so all of the battalion mail sorters know exactly who they are. Thanks though.

Thanks everybody that has sent packages - they are really looking forward to them.
Old    bretbaker3            04-26-2004, 3:27 AM Reply   
Hi everyone! I just read all the posts! WOW! You all are great! I can't believe the support coming to us from home. I haven't recieved any packages yet but when I do, everyone here (and me of course) will really appreciate them. I'll let you all know when we do get them. Thanks in advance for all you are doing and the positive vibes you are sending our way. I look forward to returning to our great country and possibly meeting some of you.

Semper Fidelis,
GySgt Bret Baker
Fallujah, Iraq
Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-27-2004, 3:43 PM Reply   
Getting exciting right about now Gunny?
Old    stormrider            04-27-2004, 5:56 PM Reply   
Bret:

As the Stones pointed out, "Time is on your side." You're organized; they aren't. You work as a team. They don't. You can communicate effectively and immediately, they can't. And they're friends keep doing stupid stuff like threatening to bomb Amman or starting stuff in Syria that is only turning people against them. Heck, even al-Jazeera (a must read-for-laughs now that Baghad Bob is in retirement) is reporting how the characters in Falluja are losing support.

You guys are doing a great job. I am immensely proud of those young Marines.

Most of all, enjoy the stuff we send over once there's a lull in the fighting!