Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-23-2016, 8:06 PM Reply   
Well so I finally lined things up where my wife and I can both get off work for a family day riding on the delta later this week. Problem is my wife apparently saw a TV news segment a couple weeks ago about some sort of life-threatening toxic "green goo" or sludge or algae blooms or something that was reported, and now she is paranoid and she has my son bought into the idea that it is dangerous and not worth the risk to get in the delta water right now. I did a quick google search and couldn't find anything about it. I'm looking for something scientific or at least a credible source.
Thanks!
We usually launch out of Orwood and ride Twins or Victoria, if that makes any difference.
Sorry if this is an idiotic post and there is no basis to this, but I figured somebody on here might have heard what she is talking about.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-23-2016, 8:13 PM Reply   
Seems this must be what she heard about. Anybody have any updates? Was this only in the residential areas at Disco, or is/was it more widespread to areas where we actually would be riding?
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...c-algae-bloom/
Old     (kkwedell)      Join Date: Aug 2016       08-23-2016, 8:53 PM Reply   
Was just out at the delta this weekend. Disco bay is really bad back in the bay. Once you get onto Old River it is clear all the way down to the sloughs that go to Tracy Oasis. Just stay in the moving water. Algae blooms happen in the warm sitting water.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-24-2016, 9:00 AM Reply   
Its just in the bays, spent most of my life living in disco and I can say the water can get nasty from time to time. Go out and ride in fast water and you will be fine, just dont drink the water.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-24-2016, 10:13 AM Reply   
Nothing to worry about if you are wakeboarding in the fast water sloughs. Current is pretty strong so everything gets flushed out in those areas. Problems are where water stays stagnant.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-25-2016, 7:34 AM Reply   
How else do you think the fish glow in the dark and have a third eye for spotting predators.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-27-2016, 1:47 PM Reply   
Fish? All the chinos ate them all already.
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-27-2016, 6:44 PM Reply   
The algae seems to be keeping yahoos away!

In all seriousness blue-green algae (cynobacteria) is toxic, so don't drink it, but it's spread is very limited. Remember the water in the Delta eventually get consumed by millions of the southern-state folks.

Cheers,
DC
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-28-2016, 8:07 AM Reply   
^^^^ OMG^^^
That explains so much about So-Cal! LOL
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-28-2016, 8:27 AM Reply   
The Delta serves 25 million Californians...just one family...the Resnicks use more water than all of Los Angeles.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-28-2016, 8:31 AM Reply   
This whole toxic algae thing is caused by the over pumping of the Delta's fresh water...it creates stagnant conditions
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-28-2016, 8:43 AM Reply   
If I lived in SoCal I'd be more concerned about all the stolen cars in the California Aquaduct...the water is running through thousands of stolen cars
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-30-2016, 2:58 PM Reply   
I heard the algae really only affects you if you are wakesurfing on Vics.