Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-29-2009, 6:38 PM Reply   
work may move me to bakersfield, ca and i'm wondering what the closest lakes are. i see naci is about 125 miles and mcclure and don pedro are over 200. there's GOT to be something closer.

halp plz.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-29-2009, 9:18 PM Reply   
Bako...sorry to hear that
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-29-2009, 9:33 PM Reply   
I live in Bako. Sucks but were close to a few places. We have Buena Vista lake ( Small manmade lake i think 350 boats max) sucks on weekends but weekdays are good water Pyramid is also about 65 miles, and a bit further up the road is castaic. We go to BV a lot. Decent campsites plus 15 min from town. If you get there first thing on weekends you can get in a set maybe two then its all surfing till the kiddos get off the tubes and you can get evening glass. Also have a small lake (ming) dont allow tubes but if there are more than 10 boats its all chop. I work week on week off so we get most our riding in on weekdays but if you work during the week its a bit harder. If you do move hit me up. We have a decent crew always looking for more.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-29-2009, 9:43 PM Reply   
C'mon Trevor, don't lie. If there are more than two boats on Ming, it stinks. BV is pretty decent...especially when the kiddies go back to school during the week. Weekends will suck until about Oct, then it gets good all the time. There is another place....Bako-dise. It is a special place that only a few have ever seen.

And don't forget about the lakes in Arvin, but you have to know someone to get on them.
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-29-2009, 9:50 PM Reply   
Bako-dise? Wassnt there a contest in Arvin a month or so ago? Let me clarify on Ming. usually when were there I see several jet boats and those guys normally hang out on shore and drink but I was mainly saying its a very small lake but still an option.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-29-2009, 10:18 PM Reply   
yeah, yeah. bakersfield is crappy blahblah. i don't mind places like it. i'm thinking about going back to school and getting a master's in petro eng, i like california, and bakersfield/valley (and oc/la) has oil. it's a match.

my dad told me about ming years ago in stories of his v-drive hydro/flatbottom days. apparently it was a good time.

i found a bunch of skilakes off 184 and millux, is this bako-dise?

is buena vista the one near the 5 and 119? looks pretty big, at least bigger than el cap in sd.

honestly, i don't even ride that often anymore. we just end up getting to the lake, deciding we can ride later, drink until the water improves and then realize that no one is in any position to ride (except the driver). it's fun, and we don't get hurt lol. THAT SAID, i still love wakeboarding a whole helluvalot.
Old     (drilldaddy78)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-29-2009, 10:29 PM Reply   
Yeah, Thats the one. Dont know the size of el cap but id say 3-4 miles long and 1 wide. not huge but it works. I work up at OXY Elk Hills. Def a good time to get into oil. A lot of old timers are getting ready to retire so plenty of work to be had.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-29-2009, 10:57 PM Reply   
that's what i was thinking.

i have some family roots in the industry, so there're traces of black blood flowing through my veins.

i never really noticed the benefits of some of these companies. i was on aera's site and they give you 4 weeks paid vacation, and 10 holidays off every year paid. gahddamn. i get one week, and 8 holidays. that's almost worth the price of admission there. not to mention i get 2 more college years. :-)
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-30-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
My wife works at Aera, and it is a cool place to get in with, she loves it.

Yeah there was an event at one of the lakes out there. Not sure the name of it though. There is another one coming up at Ski West pretty soon.

Bako-dise is actually out by BV, but I'm not tellin where.

Bako is a great place to live if you can put up with the heat. I dig it.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-30-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
see you at Bako-dise on saturday dude!
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-30-2009, 3:03 PM Reply   
i'm liking the cost of living. brand new houses with pools can be bought for 200k. you have to go past redlands to get a home that cheap down here.

i need to get back in school
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-30-2009, 3:24 PM Reply   
We got bored one afternoon while camping at BV and took a drive over to your Bako-dise to check it out. Nobody around but the place is very very cool. This was three or four years back.

Any lots available??

/Your secret is safe with me.