Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-27-2004, 8:37 AM Reply   
I've noticed that when I clear the wake I land on the wrong edge. So when I do a hs w2w I land on my toes which usually isn't a problem. But its even more noticeable toe side. On a ts w2w I land on my heels making me slip out. What causes it or more importantly how do I fix it? Thanx in advance.

B
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-27-2004, 11:31 AM Reply   
On ts jumps it's usually pulling your shoulders back as you hit the wake. This will cause you to be leaning back in the air with the nose of the board up and you end up landing on your heels. It's important to hold your edge and your cut all the way up thru the wake on your ts. If you can have someone shoot a pic or video of you hitting the wake it should help you see what you're doing wrong.
Old                05-27-2004, 4:00 PM Reply   
Toeside, less is more. Ride through the wake as if it weren't there. If you are leaning slightly away from the boat as you edge up and through the wake, chances are you will land that way on your toes.
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-01-2004, 11:31 AM Reply   
Wow this can get frustrating. I went at it like a mad man yesterday and still didn't clear it. My driver says I'm bending at the waist which is throwing me over to a nice face plant. If I cut out 6 feet from the wake and jump I go almost as far and almost as high as if I cut all the way out then jump. I'm probably over analyzing this but should I be leaning back or should my weight be even on the board?
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       06-01-2004, 11:44 AM Reply   
In terms of board balance between the nose and the tail, you should be fairly evenly distributed at least 40/60. Your lean away from the boat is where you keep your balance. To get better pop I tell people to overexaggerate putting more weight on your front foot. As long as you've got a progressive cut, you should get more pop that way.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-01-2004, 12:08 PM Reply   
Focus on bending your knees and leaning on the balls of your feet, not bending at the waist.
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-07-2004, 8:20 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, I finally had that AH HA! moment where things began to make sense. I went for the less is more approach and lessened how far I cut out. Specifically concentrating on keeping that line tight and giving a pronounced push against the wake I was shot up into the air higher than I ever have been. I had probably less than half of the speed I normally do but cleared the wake without a problem. I realized I was building more speed thinking that would help me clear the wake but I was flying across the wake so I was backing off my edge at the last second. So with this w2w thing down it’s on to whirlybird 720s!

Thanks for the help
B