Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-28-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
A relative has a 2001 Glastron SX-175 ski boat that I wakeboard behind about one week a year. It does not have a big wake (obviously), and I want to add a tower to it.

Any suggestions on which to buy? Speakers would never be used on it. The tower would need to be collapsible. I'm also concerned about the existing boat cover; it seems that a new cover would be needed that allows the tower struts to get through. (They want a new cover anyway... I'm just not sure where to get a cover that would work with a tower.)

And any suggestions on whether we should install it ourselves, or what kind of shop would do the install? The boat is in Maine.

Thanks.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-28-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
If I were you I would get a Monster Tower. They are cheap, sturdy, fold down easy, have great customer service and did I mention cheap. The only downfall I can think of is that they are not that pretty. If you have a cover I think you should be able to take it to someone who makes covers and have them modify it.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-28-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
I share the same opinion as Brett. I can't say enough good things about Monster, they have a great product and the company itself is outstanding. The MT2 tower that they offer now is much better looking. You should be able to buy a cover (or use the existing one) and take it to an upholstry shop and have them make the cut outs for the tower.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-28-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
As for the cover, see if a local awning shop can suggest some solutions. My tower was rubbing two spots thin in my bimini, and a local awning shop fixed things up for cheap (they sort of didn't know what to bid).
Old     (4x4chevyguy)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-28-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
I would look at lightning tower or twa tower very nice toweres on that boat
Old     (mikes)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-28-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
Where in Maine is the boat? I know of a guy in Southern Maine that could modify the cover.
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       11-28-2008, 6:29 PM Reply   
Mike: The boat is near Belfast (closest big city is Bangor), which is in the southern area.

Thanks to everyone else for the other suggestions.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-29-2008, 3:49 PM Reply   
John,

Check our stuff.. Great quality, warranty, and looks better than most other brands out there (especially monster). I have an open box on our Pro Swoop Polished Tower that I can send you for almost 50% off retail ($799.99). I looked over the open box tower today: no scratches and all parts are there. Still has complete warranty.

Here are some pics of the pro swoop

Upload
Upload
Upload

Thanks

Ken Land
Bullet Lines/Krypt Towers
www.bulletlines.com
Old     (mikes)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-29-2008, 5:04 PM Reply   
"Mike: The boat is near Belfast (closest big city is Bangor), which is in the southern area."

Lol! You can't be serious.You must not be from Maine. Belfast is Downeast,which is 2.5-3 hours from where I'm talking about.(That sure is a nice area,though). I am only 10 mins north of the New Hampshire border. Unfortunately I don't know anyone closer to you,but you should have ZERO trouble finding a reputable guy to modify a cover correctly in that area. Downeast Maine is like the boat building capital of the world.

FWIW,I think I would look into the tower Ken posted above .
Old     (reachjims)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-30-2008, 5:16 AM Reply   
try joystickpylons.com i have one and love it. super strong and great customer service. there is a pic of mine in my profile.
Old     (johndk)      Join Date: Aug 2008       12-02-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
Thanks for everyone's advice. Today I ordered the Krypt tower + rack + mirror from Ken at Bullet Lines for a great price (thanks Ken).

Too bad it will be 6-7 months before I'll get to use it, so I can't give a report anytime soon on how the install went.
Old     (nwarhol1105)      Join Date: Oct 2008       12-02-2008, 11:04 PM Reply   
I am playing the waiting game as well...I am doing a monster tower, 2 racks, mirror, and a set of Wet Sounds Pro 80's. I HATE winter...congrats on your setup, that will look sweet.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-03-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
check out lightning . i love mine. check the link out. its a pic of our boat
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/dreamcars1992/boat.jpg

very sturdy. no problems with it. my dad is 6 foot 6 and doesnt hit the top of the tower while standing tall. BUT with wet sounds speakers he has to duck slightly
Old    get_sum            12-06-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
here's a pic of the DIY tower for comparison. You can change the length between the two mounts when you mount it for a different look... either more upright or laid back looking...

Upload
Upload
Upload