Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-22-2003, 10:40 AM Reply   
Does anyone have recommendations on a good WB school/camp. Cost/location not an issue. Just looking for a great atmosphere with great instruction. 2 consideration so far are Shapiro's and Murray's camps. Please add your $.02.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-22-2003, 11:01 AM Reply   
Check out Ensanewakeboarding.com. I made a couple of videos of the instructors. I've been two years in a row. These guys are great instructors.

Dan Klopp
http://www.wakepics.com/img/8851

Ian Kirk
http://www.wakepics.com/img/8830
Old    disbemrj            09-22-2003, 11:57 AM Reply   
The Wakeboard Camp is also a great school.
www.wakeboardcamp.com

I've been twice and plan to go again this year.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-22-2003, 12:15 PM Reply   
Thanks John. Found Wakeboard camp but couldn't find any rates.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-22-2003, 3:27 PM Reply   
from wakeboardcamp's faq:

Q- How much does it cost for a weekly session?

Prices vary for different times of the year. Prices start at $1100 per week, peak season. Spring and summer are considered peak season and fall and winter are off-peak. We offer discounts for groups, multi-week stays, shop employees and return campers. Please call 352-394-8899 for current prices and discounts. We also do some promotions throughout the year that you can only find out about by joining our e-mail mailing list.
Old    slideit            09-22-2003, 6:20 PM Reply   
what are you looking to get out of the camp?
Old    eyesman            09-22-2003, 9:54 PM Reply   
ensane, hands down!

i have met both matt and ian and they are great guys, not to mention some of the smoothest riders i have seen.

full day with 2 other riders works great.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-22-2003, 9:56 PM Reply   
Yea... Definatly, Ensane OWNS.

Ian, Matt, Dan, and Chris are ALL great instructors. They put on a really cool camp too. Kick it on the houseboat all day long.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-22-2003, 11:22 PM Reply   
Moye and Murray's new camp.

www.theboardingschool.com
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-23-2003, 8:34 AM Reply   
Thomas, looking to improve from intermediate to advanced (inverts). Guess I'm looking in the right spots as I've seen all those recommendations. Thanks guys. Any more?
Old     (habersham)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-23-2003, 10:59 AM Reply   
Check out the www.projectspark.com Some of the coaches are Project Pat, Scott Byerly, Keith Lindberg, and Chad Sharpe. A cool thing about the camp is that Pat usually lets you ride all 7 days your down there instead of the 5 days most camps usually let you ride. Also have the best slider park anywhere. If you check out the newest alliance mag that just camp out Pat bulit the sliders on Radar Lake and the one on the cover that Parks is sliding.
Old     (ahuser22)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-23-2003, 11:04 AM Reply   
Check out www.miamiwakeboard.com they have some killer sliders and its always a chill ride with them. Plus they are all really friendly guys
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-23-2003, 11:55 AM Reply   
Tim checked that web address. Nothing found is that the correct one?
Old     (habersham)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-23-2003, 12:23 PM Reply   
sorry its www.theprojectspark.com
Old    wakeboard_iraq            09-25-2003, 10:02 AM Reply   
I have never been to a camp - how much riding do you get in - what is it like and do the prices typically include room and chow?

Did anybody see the WBM inbox reply about them potentially putting together a discountd wakeboard camp for the Iraqi war vets? I am so there if they do!!!!
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-25-2003, 11:54 AM Reply   
J-rod that last video did me in (Klopp video post). I think I'll wait until Spring and be going to Ensane. Thanks for the 411.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-25-2003, 3:31 PM Reply   
notidad: good choice! Ensane OWNS.

Jim: as far as how the camp goes, im sure notidad will enjoy hearing this too...

Say you for for a whole week of camp... You arrive sunday, if you have any transportation problems or need to fly into the airport Ian will gladly come and pick you up.

Sunday night you spend at Ians house. At least this is how it went when I was up there, same for my bro. Wake up Monday, load up the VLX :-) head to the docs, launch the boat, and off to the houseboat you go for the rest of the week.

Get to the houseboat, which he generally already has on shore ready to go with a trampoliene setup also. Unload, grab some food, and start riding!

Awsome people to hang out with and I didnt have any problems getting to know them or any problems with not being comfortable around um.

The food is AWSOME! Burgers, Tri-Tip, French Toast for breakfast, the list goes on and on and the food is differnt every day. Plenty of servings also.

Watch out tho. Don't let them try the hotsauce!!! We were having breakfast and chris loaded my plate up with some and a couple secounds later I was asking Carla to fetch my water!

Hope you enjoy it
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-25-2003, 3:33 PM Reply   
Don't let them talk you into trying the hot sauce rather :-)
Old     (tigerblp)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-25-2003, 3:57 PM Reply   
you should look into dean lavelle's wakeboard school too. the atmosphere there is awesome! check it out: www.wakeboard-school.com
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-25-2003, 4:18 PM Reply   
jeff altman, his brother rich, skydog and myself all spent a week with travis moye and darin shapiro in april this year (back when the spot was still both of them).

it was unlimited riding (which usually was 3 times a day, sometimes just twice a day - they recommended pacing yourself for the 5 days as folks often went all out the first couple of days and then couldn't ride at all at least one of the other days!). although food was provided in the guest house we stayed in we tended to also go off-site to eat out (we had rented a car since we all flew in from los angeles).

with them (as it may be with travis and shaun tho i have no idea), it was a casual atmosphere. ride when you want. work on whatever you want - or don't. it was a very laid back hang-out-and-ride type of situation. a little different that what i would have ultimately preferred, tho don't get me wrong, we had a great time.

two of the things missing from that type of atmosphere were videotape w/review and a trampoline.

do they video tape and review at ensane or is it more of a just-ride kinda thang?

for my next camp i want a place that's more structured and about really learning. video-taped sessions with coach-review, trampoline training, perhaps before going out to warm up and pre-practice tricks, etc.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-25-2003, 4:42 PM Reply   
O yes. I forgot that. They do record your riding and do video review at night. Frame by frame so you can see what's up.
Old     (tigerblp)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-26-2003, 7:04 AM Reply   
also, if you're looking for video review... twc doesn't do that either :-(
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-26-2003, 7:13 AM Reply   
The best coaching you can get is on the boat as you're attempting new tricks. I don't see what video review can do for you that on-the-spot coaching can't. I just brought my own camera and had my buddies film me. Chris and Ian stopped the boat after every attempt to explain what I did wrong. They coached my budddy into landing his first backroll on his first set.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            09-26-2003, 9:40 AM Reply   
Bennett - That was ensane you were talking about right - also, how much does it cost?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-26-2003, 9:47 AM Reply   
Jim:

http://www.ensanewakeboarding.com/camps.html

Old    wakeboard_iraq            09-26-2003, 10:03 AM Reply   
Thanks J-Rod. Looking at the site now.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-26-2003, 11:44 AM Reply   
I think that doing the video review would help a lot. Sometimes you just don't know what you're doing wrong until you see yourself making the mistake. I know what a trick is supposed to look like by seeing others do it, but I may not realize I'm making an error. This may be more for those of us that are not as "air aware" as others. But I would agree that nothing is better than someone that knows how to "coach" you right there while you're learning.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-26-2003, 11:55 AM Reply   
i agree that good instruction is key obviously - but why stop there? why not keep learning once you've worn out/used up your body/time for the day? do you not watch instructional videos or read wakeboarding magazine's higher learning section when you're not riding? i do.

i have also noticed that it helps to see what im doing. i have thought i was really cutting hard, then i see the video and realize im not cutting nearly as hard as i could - this helped a lot with my raley cut.

it doesn't make sense to ignore an excellent teaching option like video review just because you have excellent instructors.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-26-2003, 12:21 PM Reply   
Okay I agree. In some cases it helps. My instructor told me over and over I was leaving the wake too early on my tantrum. When I watched it on my own camera I could clearly see it. But I knew I was to early already. Even with good coaching I guess it could do more good. I think there is a reason camps don't like to deal with it though. It's a pain in the ass. Now you have to pay another body to run a camera all day.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-26-2003, 12:55 PM Reply   
good point jarrod - it probably doesn't make fiscal sense for a camp given the extra overhead.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-26-2003, 1:27 PM Reply   
When we recored, Chris or Ian would just have someone else record, sometimes Carla when we rode in the evenings if they came out. Then when we were watching dinner or something we would go frame by frame.

Having them stop and tell you what you did wrong and need to correct everytime you fall is very helpful. Chris usually jumped on the back of the boat and grabbed the rope and did some instruction. Helps alot.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-26-2003, 1:30 PM Reply   
Bennett/J-rod, I tried calling them and no one answered (probably out throwing down it's 90 there today) is the houseboat included in the price? I know they state an extra 89bucks for the cabin. Jus' wondering. Still gonna call as I have a few more things to ask....... I'm stoked and can't wait to go. Just gotta fix the knee.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-26-2003, 1:39 PM Reply   
Noti,

They are slowing down as the season come to an end so they are in the office less. If you leave a message, Ian will call you back. You can email him at mail@ensanewakeboarding.com also.

Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       09-26-2003, 2:20 PM Reply   
Mike Schwenne's camp

http://www.westcoastcamps.com
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-26-2003, 4:21 PM Reply   
shaun and i were discussing the video thing today during our 3 day stint laying tile in the new house. and, that is something we definitely want to get into. to be honest with you, we stear clear of the tramp thing just from a liablity and insurance standpoint.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-27-2003, 3:05 AM Reply   
Yea. If you have them sign a wavier you will cover yourself.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-27-2003, 5:48 AM Reply   
I'm hoping to do the Travis/Shaun wakeboard extravaganza October 23 to 26. In additon to the training, accomodations and the whole interactive experience, I can also report on their tiling skills.
Old     (nautiair)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-27-2003, 6:58 AM Reply   
Alex-
I can tell you that you will have a super time down there. I went out on the lakes with shaun and travis and you should be able to find a sweet spot to ride anytime. They are both really excited about doing this camp and I'm sure that it will show. As for their teaching skills, I don't think that you could be in better hands. Travis is a great teacher. he knows so much about wakeboarding. and then there's shaun..... from what I have seen he seems to have a similar style of coaching as travis. They are both super laid back. I'm going to world's next week and I hope to get out there and see what they have done to the house and stuff. From what travis said it should be tight.
have a good time down there.

alex
Old    robert7411            09-27-2003, 9:16 AM Reply   
LOOKING 4 A GOOD SCHOOL IN L A
Old    reddog25cf            09-27-2003, 10:15 AM Reply   
Any good wakeboarding schools in the midwest? I'd love to take a week vacation with my girl and go to a wakeboarding school.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-27-2003, 11:39 AM Reply   
travis, is the liability for pulling a wakeboarder that much less than a trampoline? or for that matter, a half-pipe? ;)

it surprised me that you said that. are camps like twc carrying that much more insurance or something to cover the trampoline liability?

(Message edited by deepstructure on September 27, 2003)
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-28-2003, 5:28 AM Reply   
they just bust your chops over the tramp. i don't know why its that big a deal, but, yes.