Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (gawabr190)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-23-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
Lake Pleasant Riders!!! (sorry, I also posted this on find a 3rd)

Does anyone feel that AZ State Parks has made this lake Anti-Wakeboarding?

I would like to ask all AZ riders to contact the authorities at Lake Pleasant to express that wakeboarders deserve more than the tiny "Paul's Hideaway" cove as the only wind-protected area that is not designated a "no wake zone".

Over the years, every other cove has been closed off to boarders/skiers. This is probably a result of boarders/skiers not being as vocal or visible to AZ Parks as the fisherman. Hopefully we can change that. We are just as legitimate as fisherman as tax-paying consumers of Arizona Lakes. There are many coves at pleasant (see map www.maricopa.gov/parks/lake_pleasant/pdf/2009%20Maps/plesant-11x17-2d.pdf)

*Two Cow
*Pipeline
*Cottonwood
*Firemans
*Castle Creek
*Goose Bay
*Coles Bay
*Humbug
*Agua Fria (North of the bird enclosure has a LOT of water that is boardable/skiable)
*Jackass Cove (not really wind protected)
*Honeymoon cove (they stuck porta-potties here despite being one of the closest coves to the marina??)

As we all know, Paul's Hideaway is very small & is full of chop as soon as 2 or more boats are using it.

I propose that we contact the authorities at Lake Pleasant to request that they open other coves at pleasant. It is not equitable that the entire lake & park caters almost exclusively to fisherman. If we contact them frequently & persistently, but politely, I think we may be able to affect change.

It think that the ideal cove that should be opened to boarding/skiing is Coles Bay. It is deep & wide enough to safely accomodate boarders & skiers. If not, then the areas North of the bird enclosure on the ague fria river would also be good.

The contact info for the lake is:

Lake Pleasant Regional Park
41835 N. Castle Hot Springs Rd.
Morristown, AZ 85342
Entry Station 1-928-501-1710
Operations Center 602-372-7460
Fax 602-372-7465
lakepleasant@mail.maricopa.gov

Has anyone has prior experience with the AZ authorities at Pleasant, or know who the individual in charge there is?

If anyone knows how we can put together some kind of online petition, let me know!

Thanks!
Old     (wswb4lfe)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-23-2009, 9:14 PM Reply   
Hey im an az rider and agree with you. But pleasant is so littered with people that when the new coves open, those will suck too. It is possible to do what you want. Another post said the same thing about roosevelt i think. They had a huge no wake zone but people protested and they took it away.
Old     (vtecths)      Join Date: May 2009       06-24-2009, 1:12 AM Reply   
Last week at Pleasant I had a stupid dick on a jet ski run 15-20 feet off the bow of my boat when i was traveling 15mph with my kids. The stupid ass irresponsible people at this lake kill it for everyone. This was on a Thursday.. we dont even consider going on the weekends!
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-24-2009, 9:22 AM Reply   
One word: Firebird!
Old     (gawabr190)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-24-2009, 7:19 PM Reply   
Sam, I dont know much about firebird, other than it hosted a pro event last year when it was about 120 degrees (felt like it)... Does it cost to ride there? Also, I've heard it is salt water, is this true?
Old     (wswb4lfe)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-24-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
The water is three times saltier than the ocean so they don't maintain an eco-system.