Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-29-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
I am tired of my trailer dragging when pulling in and out of my driveway. Any reason why I couldn't put some 1" blocks between the axle and spring to "lift" my trailer?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-29-2010, 3:51 PM Reply   
No but when you are launching in shallow water it could make it that much tougher. If you were to just add casters to the back of the trailer it will solve your problem.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-29-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
Adding casters would make it that much lower.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-29-2010, 4:21 PM Reply   
The casters only hang down about 3 inches. The trailer will roll on casters instead of dragging. Caster wheels are much cheaper then trailer repair.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-29-2010, 5:15 PM Reply   
^^^Yep. This is what I did. 1000lb capacity steel casters with a zerk fitting from McMaster-Carr.com. Ill try and get a pic
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-29-2010, 6:18 PM Reply   
Is it an old trailer? My 89 Supra started having dragging problems it turned out the springs had sagged over the years. I replaced the springs and problem was gone.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-29-2010, 6:38 PM Reply   
Is the trailer level when hooked to it's regular tow vehicle? The wife always cringes when it drags, but IMO, it's that's what the prop guard is for.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-29-2010, 6:48 PM Reply   
Trailer is for a '99 MariStar, I'm sure the springs have sagged some. Yes, the trailer is level when hooked to my truck. I'm not really worried about damage to the prop or trailer, just want to get rid of the noise.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-29-2010, 11:02 PM Reply   
On the last boat I used to used a drop hitch to get out of the driveway without rubbing then change out in the street. Then I went to Tap plastics and put a strip of nylon under the prop guard to stop the scraping noise and damage to the driveway. The new boat trailer has casters so I don't have to worry about it. The nylon strip worked well though.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-30-2010, 12:20 AM Reply   
The nylon strip is a great idea. I might have to do that to mine.
Old     (floatingguru)      Join Date: May 2010       05-30-2010, 11:08 AM Reply   
Try lowering your hitch on the truck first. That will improve the angle of your boat/trailer and make the back of the boat rise slightly. They make hitches that extend the ball lower. Should help.

Here is another idea: The angle you are leaving your driveway will help also. Turn your wheel a ton when you exit and don't hit the bottom of your driveway head-on. The angle alone will improve the exit and help make the rear of your trailer rise slightly. Try that and see if it works.

Hope that helps.

Todd
my blog: http://thirdcoastyachtsales.blogspot.com/
Old     (boarder831)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-30-2010, 5:26 PM Reply   
I have the same problem on my driveway. I just have my son throw down a couple 2x12's about 6' long under the tires and wheels just at the point where the prop guard will drag. The lumber raises the trailer just enough to avoid dragging the prop guard. A bit of a pain but it works for us. I
Old     (cla10beck)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-30-2010, 5:33 PM Reply   
I had the same problem, but I needed more than 2" additional clearance. I ended converting my axle from undersprung to oversprung. If you look at your axle, it is most likely underspung meaning that there is no way to insert a block without converting to oversprung first. I purchased a conversion kit for $40, and it took me a couple of hours (would have been much faster with a helper). Most of the ramps I frequent are pretty steep so the extra height hasn't been an issue.

Here is a link to the kit
http://store.cargotrailersales.com/c...e&ITEM=5771384
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-31-2010, 8:59 AM Reply   
I had the same issue at our summer house. I would always drag the back end even with the casters at the bottom of the driveway and boat launch as it was a multi angled ramp. Last year one of the leafs completely snapped at the ramp so when I had it fixed I had the guy releaf them all which raised my trailer about 2-3" which made a huge difference and I don't drag at all anymore.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-01-2010, 2:16 PM Reply   
I had some fabbed up... my driveway was STEEP, worked like a charm, just drive straight out and they roll nice. Kept me from damaging my driveway as well.

These are just the 500lb capacity steel caster rollers, theres not that much weight/force on them so anymore than 500lbs is overkill.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-01-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
nice looking fix!