Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old    mplv            04-10-2006, 7:52 PM Reply   
im thinking of trading my x-1 for a x-45, how has you experience been with your x45s?
Old     (pilot_ryder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-10-2006, 8:35 PM Reply   
wow thats a big upgrade
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-11-2006, 8:04 AM Reply   
pm barefooter4life. He has one.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-11-2006, 8:07 AM Reply   
what do you not like about the x-1? the size (and price) of the x-45 will be much larger, but EVERYONE here will tell you the x-1 has the better wake, by far
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-11-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
And if you talk to barefooter4life, tell him to post some pics of his wake with stock ballast!!!
Old     (tbonus)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-11-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
Love my x-45. Had a '04 for a year when the x-45 came out and i upgraded instantly. I am a family man with kids and dogs so people space and storage space was one of my main criteria.

You will sacrafice handeling compared to the smaller boats. But as for wake, i have never pulled anybody that was not amazed by the wake. I do not need to add extra weight to get a huge wake either.

To all - Feel free to contact me to take the 'Socal X-45 Rate the Wake' challange. (Never boarded behind a BU so maybe we can work something out.)

I strongly recommend the big block. My x-30 with 350 was quicker than my x-45 with the 496. I have a 90 gal fuel tank that last me as long as my 60 gallon did in the x-30.

mplv - PM me or post any specific concerns that you want discussed
Old     (tbonus)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-11-2006, 9:22 AM Reply   
jcv - '... better wake, by far' What is better about it? Size? Shape? Lip? I have not beeen behind a x-1 but i've boarded behind a '05 X-star and the wake seemed identical just not as wide or as big with stock ballast.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-11-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
T, i didn't mean to imply the x-45 wake is sub-par, far from it. it's a great wake and almost swamps our boat everytime the x-45 on our lake passes. i just meant the 205v hull on the x-1/x-2/x-star is widely considered the best wake ever (and rarely lower than top 3) and many people swear by it. so, it's not that there's anything wrong with the x-45 wake (from all i've seen it's awesome), it's just that the x-1 has such a tremendous reputation. sorry for the misunderstanding; it was a very poor choice of words on my part.
Old     (cwhite)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-11-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
The x-1 is a great boat and has a steeper wake than the x-45. Plus wake to wake the x-1 is not that far but the x-45 wakes are a good distance from each other because the boat is so wide. The x-45 won’t handle like your x-1 because the x-1 is much smaller. The good thing is the interior of the x-45 is much bigger. Now the wake on the x-45 is big and shaped like the xstar. Now the good thing is that you wouldn’t have to weight down the x-45 because the boat is so heavy. That poses another problem, the lift you use might not be rated for the 4,950 lbs of the x-45. If you don’t have a lift can you vehicle pull that out of the water? The x-45 is a sweet boat but she is big. Both boats are good but the x-1 is a wakeboard boat and that is it, while the x-45 is that but at the same time it is a deck/party boat. These are just my thoughts on the two boats.
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-11-2006, 12:17 PM Reply   
The X1 could fit inside the X45. Big upgrade but if you are looking for a larger family boat (the beast is rated for 18) it is an awesome boat. I saw it at the boat show it has ton of storage and visually there seems to have been a lot of thought put into the details on the boat. I think my kids could sleep under the seats in the bow of that thing.
Old    mplv            04-11-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
i love the wake of my x-1 but its just not big enough to take a bunch of people out on the water with. i would also like to go to the ocean which my little boat cant do, rough water eats the x-1 up as would the salt. i think the monster surf wake will be a blast too.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-11-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
Matt, Just suck it up and get a new X-Star, lol....

(Message edited by byrd on April 11, 2006)
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-11-2006, 3:26 PM Reply   
We have an X-45 for our store boat. Here's my .02. The boat is beautiful in all aspects as far as I can see. Very roomy, super comfy. You can load you and all your friends inside and still have room for beer, and gear. Motor is a little weak, a little doggy out of the hole. Burns alot of fuel since it is so heavy. Cadillac motor. Wake does not clean up till about 25 mph. Big though. Steep and very rampy. Drives alot like a 64 cadillac 4 door with 4 flat tires. Would I ever buy one myself? Probably not. Just way more than I need. However I do enjoy spending time on it since it is so roomy inside.
Old    mplv            04-11-2006, 4:49 PM Reply   
the only way i would buy one is with the big dog 8.1 motor. byrd, the x-45 is bigger and suprisingly close in price. billy told me that zane wanted a x45 for his new boat but mastercraft wouldnt bite, if he wants one it must be the ultimate party barge. we should ride this week, hopefully the wind lets up
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-12-2006, 7:09 AM Reply   
LOL, Zane can cross any wake, and yes it is a party barge. Rodney test drove one and it was nice. Just make sure you do get the big boy power plant. The one we drove had the 350 in it and it was a little doggish. T-Ball and Little League end next week, so after that I will be free any day of the week after 4-ish. I got out on a wakesurfer this past weekend. I was able to let go and ride for a while. I got some pointers from a good friend. Do you want to go this Saturday? Maybe start early morning and then add family around lunch?
Old    mplv            04-12-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
sounds good, hopefully my boat will be ready friday so i can fill it up with 3 dollar a gallon gas for us to burn. did your trailer get fixed yet?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-13-2006, 6:34 AM Reply   
It's fixed enough to get to the lake and back. It might take a few weeks to get it back to original shape. I'm not worried, it will get there eventually. What's wrong with your boat?
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-13-2006, 7:17 AM Reply   
There are pictures of the X45 wake on this thread... http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/279570.html?1141623227
It was with 4 adults and stock ballast. Nice boat.
Old    mplv            04-13-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
some sort of voltage issue with the ballast. im gonna call jim right now so we can hopefully take mine this time.
Old    mplv            04-13-2006, 7:24 AM Reply   
yeah festivus, i read both your threads start to finsih and it seemed like the bow x45 pushed you towards the bu, but i like the big bow for several reasons so it should work for me. good luck with your boat, it is damn good looking
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-13-2006, 3:52 PM Reply   
thanks bro, the X45 is awesome!!
Old    grud8            04-18-2006, 10:34 AM Reply   
Sorry for weighing in late. I am not on this board as much as I used to be.
Things I like about my X-45:
- Plenty of room and we rarely have less than 10 people in it.
- Plenty of storage (mainly for the wretched tube for the kids)
- Gas tank is so big you can fill up of the lake everytime
- Enormous wake...you will not be disappointed
- Lots of power with the 8.1L
- Seats are heavy-duty and don't look like they will breakdown or come unsewn
- Plenty of room up front for those that want to get some sun.
- All the billet aluminum looks very classy
- Ladder up front comes in more handy than you would think.
- Handles incredible in rough water. We ski at a big lake and were headed back into a stiff wind with white caps coming at us at about 30mph and you couldn't even feel it. Our friends had to get behind us in their 02 X-Star(today's X-1) to go faster than 20mph

Things I don't like:
- Burns about 8gph
- Fly-by-wire throttle has some issues with over-revving or the engine just dies (I assume this is a computer issue that will be fixed at some point.

That's about the size of it. Its the third MC I have owned and by far the best. If you have the dough go for it. One more thing, I have a custom 3-axle trailer and would highly recommend going that way. It tows great. Make certain the guides on the trailer are long enough (even if you are wider than the 102" that are allowed.)I learned that the hard way with a torn decal.
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-18-2006, 3:17 PM Reply   
did you extend the trailer guides? If so, how did you do it?
Old    grud8            04-19-2006, 12:52 AM Reply   
Took it back and had the trailer company put new ones on that were about 15 in. longer.
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-19-2006, 7:29 AM Reply   
good to know. I had heard this before and plan on bringing it up with the 247 sales guy who sold me mine. Are the MC trailer guides different from the BU's?
Old    grud8            04-19-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
MC doesn't make a tri-axle trailer. My trailer is a Zieman Trailer. The guides on my trailer are flat and wide (about 5in) vs. the MC which are round.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-19-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
footer - i guess we should give up on wake pics, huh?
Old    grud8            04-20-2006, 8:51 AM Reply   
Probably