Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-23-2011, 12:32 PM Reply   
I got the chance to take a short trip to Ohio last Sunday to check out my fiends new private wakeboard lake. He dug the thing himself in his backyard. I would guess the thing is 8-9 acres with enough room for 4-5 tricks and a wide section for double ups. At the end of each side he built small islands to turn around.

Definitely one of the cooler places I have rode at in a long time.

I posted some of the pictures below, but you can see them all on our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/wakeboardpittsburgh

Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-23-2011, 12:34 PM Reply   
One more picture of the lake:
Attached Images

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-23-2011, 12:37 PM Reply   
Nice. That thing would be a big hole in the ground in Texas right now. Over 70 days now over 100 degrees and no rain yet.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-23-2011, 12:45 PM Reply   
Thats awesome! How deep is it?
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-23-2011, 1:09 PM Reply   
Looks pretty shallow right? I mean the wake looks flat.
Old     (fuzzyman)      Join Date: Feb 2011       08-23-2011, 4:35 PM Reply   
Nice pics Kyle! Wish I could have been there!. The lakes depth is around 10 feet.
Old     (wakecumberlandky)      Join Date: Feb 2011       08-23-2011, 4:50 PM Reply   
where is this in ohio? i live down by cincy and would love to maybe come up for a sesh someday???
Old     (Bolo)      Join Date: May 2011       08-23-2011, 5:09 PM Reply   
Wow that is awesome.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-23-2011, 5:16 PM Reply   
How long did this take for him to dig??
Old     (Andy_Elliott)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-23-2011, 8:15 PM Reply   
that looks so sick. tell your friend to put a couple thousand more pounds of weight in his boat then it'd be really sick!!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-23-2011, 11:00 PM Reply   
whats with the boots on that board in the last pick?
looks like one is mounted reverse to the other... could really confuse what is toeside and what is heel ;P
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-24-2011, 6:26 AM Reply   
Bryan, congrats on the marriage. Too bad you could not make it up.

Lake is about ten feet deep in most places and we had about 1,800 lbs on top of the stock. Wake was typical SAN 210 steep with great pop. I don't see how you could tell that the wake was flat?

This is why the board looks funny
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-24-2011, 7:22 AM Reply   
Makes we want to go shopping for land now and get some advice from my local friend about how he dug out his 3 lakes.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-24-2011, 7:33 AM Reply   
How is the lake fed and how did he fill it to start with?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-24-2011, 8:58 AM Reply   
I hate your friend. I think I hate you too.

I wish I had my own lake to ride
Old     (mcdye)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-24-2011, 9:59 AM Reply   
simply put.... That Rocks!!
Old     (gdavid)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-24-2011, 11:11 AM Reply   
Winning!
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-24-2011, 11:27 AM Reply   
I am also very intersted in how this was done. Was there a valley he flooded? How does it get water? Man that thing is huge, Must have taken forever if he dug it him self. 10 ft deep. Damn.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-24-2011, 11:28 AM Reply   
Permits must have been nightmare if they were needed
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-24-2011, 1:12 PM Reply   
I have been thinking of that here.
The price of good fill dirt has gone sky high. I could sell every bucket of dirt i could shovel. With that in mind you dig it as deep as the hoe will reach.
Around here if you dig a hole deep enough it will fill itself.

Hmm. got me thinking now. Problem is the only place i could get good cheap land is gator infested.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-24-2011, 2:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitkiller View Post
I have been thinking of that here.
The price of good fill dirt has gone sky high. I could sell every bucket of dirt i could shovel. With that in mind you dig it as deep as the hoe will reach.
Around here if you dig a hole deep enough it will fill itself.

Hmm. got me thinking now. Problem is the only place i could get good cheap land is gator infested.
If ur talking about down here n FL...im game! Gators dont mess with us on private lakes
Old     (wakeboard_pittsburgh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-25-2011, 10:38 AM Reply   
I am pretty sure the lake is creek fed. I think there was originally a small pond that he extended with excavator equipment.
Old     (Lakemiltonwake)      Join Date: Feb 2011       08-25-2011, 2:52 PM Reply   
Hey guys, The lake is creek fed and gets a tremendous amount of watershed, once the finally stage of the lake was completed it came up 4 feet within 3 weeks of an Ohio spring. The lake has come in many different stages and has expanded several times within the last 15 years to become a wakeboard lake, which was not the original intentions. The last big addition was due to my father who mined sand through his construction company and we finished it, and a wakeboard boat has occupied it for the last 3 years. The long stretch averages 10 ft. with the deepest part being 12 feet.

As for the wake comments, I'm not real sure how can see if the wake is flat through a photo, but I can assure you the wake had a nice steep lip on it that day. I typically run roughly 2000 pounds over stock although I have it set up capable for much more (two 750 V drives, one 750 bow and a 750 belly sac) and due to it being a small private lake you are frequently making tight turns around the islands, thus burning more fuel. It's weighted enough for me to ride it and anyone else that has been behind it without burning ridiculous amounts of fuel. But if you're the one paying for the fuel then come up and we will fill the sacs until they burst.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-25-2011, 3:49 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info...at least you dont have to deal with the idiot drivers on public ohio lakes and all the tubers/jet skis.

Damn was hoping you said this was completed in 1 summer lol.

Does he want to mine any sand in Florida or NC? Looking for private lake down here

Oh and great choice of a boat!
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-25-2011, 5:17 PM Reply   
Nick doesn't need a huge wake,he can kill it behind a jet ski.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-28-2011, 7:25 AM Reply   
That is absolutely outstanding! Any intention of making a business out of this lake? When I lived in Seattle I was lucky enough to have a buddy with three hours every Friday on a private lake and it cost a small fortune! But it was really awesome to have the place to yourself.